Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craigslist Doozies....

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 23:08

I can't find that other thread, and I just really needed to post this because it really made me laugh. Out loud. Maybe I shed a tear. Perhaps it's because I'm still smarting from the loss of the Chervet Ibex Table (sold for $150)...well whatever is the reason, this was just what I needed this evening...

you know, I had socks once....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craigslist Doozies....

Good one Bee! That is priceless! Is this a PA dialect/accent that then gets translated into funny spellings?

o

o

Forgot that now I need to add these to my craigslist dictionary ...
- rod iron
- rot iron
- chester draws
- oatamen
- had sock

o

I've come across:
wayne's coating
And still for sale:
pedal stool (as in table)

o

I saw a "Chip and Dale" chair on our local CL recently, a "Duncan Fife" table, and more "dinning" room tables than I can count.

ETA: an abundance of 20 yr old "antiques".

This post was edited by Miz_M on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:05

o

I had to read 'had sock' twice before I got it and then the tears and giggles bubbled up after 'oatamen'. I should check our local southern-dialect CL more often, but I'm sure I'd find lots of 'dinning' tables also.

o

It took me a few seconds to get the pedal stool (table). That is a good one!

o

Love the had sock or oatamen... I recently saw an eBay listing for "from age plates". It's probably an auto-correct error, but it made me laugh.

o

That is really funny and so sad at the same time.

Today, our CL had a "poppy son" chair (papasan).

o

Bee, the legs on the had sock are worth the asking price. If it;'s not in a scary area, I'd be asking if you can buy just the had sock to re-do it!

o

my3dogs, I thought the same thing...and I actually said it out loud to my dh. Should have seen the look I got. AND he tolerates a lot of my "visions".

~Bee, who is still stinging from missing out on that table...

o

Is he stifling your 'vision'? This could be a huge opportunity! :-)

But, I just Googled the ad, and someone with more vision than your hubby has snapped up the had sock or otamen! The ad was updated 2 hours ago and now he just has the chair.

Watch this appear on a blog where someone had turned that thing over and seen a Hancock and Moore label on the underside! Bummah....

o

I have to ask because I can't figure out what the word is supposed to be... so, what is the "had sock" supposed to be? I don't think we use that word in my area.

o

Kees: Hassock.

o
A 4 Draw Barrow

In case you've been piling your clothes on top of your had sock or oat amen, you might be interested in this 4 draw barrow:

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 Draw Barrow

o

Decorative crystal palm tree for the low price of $4,000

Here is a link that might be useful: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/fuo/4339850081.html

o

Do these people not know how to spell ottoman? And I'm not even sure that this one qualifies as one either. lol....

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's another one!

o

Please, stop. My thumb-my hurts!

o

Sandy1963, people don't even know the difference between lose and loose, much less words that are becoming uncommon in our dumbed-down vernacular.

o

Stainless steal FRANKE undermount Sink, $150.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless Steal sink

o

I just don't know if I can pass this one up. It's so tempting....

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out this offer

o

blubird, if it hasn't been peed on by a dog, I simply won't get it!

o

Tibbrix,

Can you imagine they thought someone would have paid money for that opportunity?

o

blubird,

Could be convenient for other owners of small Yorkies, buying furniture that's pre-chewed and pre-peed-on. Avoids the suspense. I think the seller missed a marketing opportunity.

Signed, a former small Yorkie owner.

o

This one has me making my deeply puzzled face. Do you think they just don't know the word upholstery?

o

This made me chuckle...

o

Living in rural SC, I see lots of CL doozies. I should start a list.

I can see that there are plenty of semi-literate folks out there, and that there are others for whom English is a second (or third) language, but the the one thing that really gets me is- How can you misspell any item that has the name WRITTEN RIGHT ON IT??? I can see it in the picture!

I've even suspected that some ads are intentionally screwed up just to attract attention.

Around here, a device that uses a cable to pull heavy objects is usually spelled 'wench'. The terms 'sell' and 'sale' are often switched- 'I have a truck for sell. I need to sale it by Monday.' And don't forget- That chester draws has a meer on the back, as well.

o

The item is not what's funny in this case (though, good luck getting that $2K it was appraised for).

Read what happened last time this was posted . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: ad

o

Here's one I saw today for $150.

o

xc60, that has to be one of the most horrible things I've seen. I've seen elephant tables before, but that looks like a dead one.

o

Sure can't avoid the elephant in that room .....

o

Lol, I know, he he. Something about it is just really off.

o

And this also for $150, a never used bulldog ottoman.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here