Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemom61

Decorating with snow??

prairiemom61
13 years ago

Snow, snow everywhere! Share your pics please!

Comments (72)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Yep. Another one from Texas. We're iced in, and I'm sick as a dog. Great. I had planned all sorts of projects, but have felt so lousy I've either just sat here or slept. If I run out of Dayquil and eggs before Friday, I may just cry. Pfftt!!

• rosesstink
    13 years ago

Nice pics everyone. "If I run out of Dayquil and eggs before Friday, I may just cry." lol

The storm didn't live up to expectations here. Not that I mind. We have several feet of snow on the ground anyway - we typically get more than 150" per season.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Decorating tip of the day......Home Decor usually works best when used indoors:)

• prairiemom61
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love all the stories and pics! Thanks everyone!

• stu2900
    13 years ago

So beautiful! This is central Illinois this morning. It's a little fuzzy because it was taken through the screen.

• leahcate
    13 years ago

GORGEOUS PICS, ALL! I'm sure it's tough to put up with, but magically beautiful ( yes, work, the one natal mentioned, especially)! Please keep 'em coming! I love the street scenes and trees in ice, etc...all of them are wonderful!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse - you crack me up! Thanks so much for the kind comment. That shed was built around the time that my house was built, in 1937. I had the front windows replaced last year and a sweet carpenter friend made the shutters. I made the window treatments from Waverly Samsara fabric from eBay, and it's perfect with the shed colors.

This picture is to the right of the shed, and shows the river that forms my property line. There is a large window on the right side that doesnâÂÂt show in the picture that overlooks the river. The shed has a long counter in it and LOTS of drawers. The man who built it built furniture in it.

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

So many pretty snow pictures...and cute dog pictures:)
    Work in Progress-the one of your older sweetie is a beautiful picture with the lighting.

I had to post pic my old sweetie now...3 mths away from 14 yrs old & feel blessed everydof ay to still have her with us. Took this while heading out on our stroll around the block this evening. (and her other smiley pic...I know,I know, no snow in this one:)

• nhb22
    13 years ago

My TN pictures cannot hold a candle to the snow that some of you have.
    {{!gwi}}

There is light at the end of all this mess.

• stu2900
    13 years ago

So beautiful! This is central Illinois this morning. It's a little fuzzy because it was taken through the screen.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Schoolhouse is right! You should post your garden shed on the cottage garden forum...it's wonderful and we'll all want one, just like it! :)

Here's some pictures from a few weeks ago. Most of the snow has melted, but we expect more later today. Here in eastern Washington (5 miles from Idaho) we usually get snow until March or early April.

{{gwi:634193}}

{{gwi:769135}}

{{gwi:24555}}

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I wish I could get back to the hive to get a photo of it with the latest 19" piled on it, and it is surrounded by broken branches from the ice storm the other day. Luckily none fell on the girls and the hive is still upright. This is from a couple of weeks ago, when walking back there wasn't quite so scarey!

{{!gwi}}

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

• leahcate
    13 years ago

loving these wonderful pics. Lisa, your old sweetie's smile has stolen my heart:>)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Two doses of Dayquil and six eggs left, and it's supposed to snow tonight. What a mess! Oh, and did I mention that now I have pink eye, as well? Winter! *spits*

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

franksmom, if you need a chocolate fix and don't want to use up your eggs, maybe try this recipe for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake?
    Hope you feel better soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: cake!

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Such wonderful pictures! It is so strange to be in Minnesota and have decent weather when so much of the country is such a mess. Keep warm!

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

A little late to the party, but the Texans can play now ;-)

C'mon Texans, post 'em if ya got 'em!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Well, we had one heck of a blizzard on Tuesday, and it was only yesterday a BULL DOZER got our road to one lane, and the snow walls are about 12' high. We have a lot more snow in the forecast so I ask you, where the he!! are they going to put the snow when they dig us out?

Here's our road. The size of the snow walls are much larger than in the picture. CREEPY.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Wow!!! There are some holiday card-worthy shots in this thread! I think we have about 6" outside our door right now. I ventured out and took some pics, but am now waiting for the camera battery to recharge. We aren't used to this kind of weather in DFW, Texas. I would imagine it won't put much of a damper on Superbowl reveling though!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Jen, our snow is just ugly. The top soil from the poor wheat fields blew and the snow around our house is brown. It's so desolate out here it's depressing. lol

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

I dunno Oakley ... your snow kinda reminds me of a layered chocolate/vanilla ice cream dessert. Yes, this cold weather is making me eat all KINDS of "bad" things, and I'm past the point of caring.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Oakley you win the prize for ugliest picture. LOL Just remember - you LOVE this weather!!

I can't believe you have snow Newhomebuilder - we didn't get a bit - nothing - ice, snow, etc. and I'm not too far from you. I didn't realize you guys got it.

Some beautiful pictures but I'm so glad it is you guys and not us. LOL I believe we have a bit predicted next week - but who knows. I cannot imagine the snow "walls". Lovesummer and Franksmom - I feel for you guys!!

Lisa Mocha - your pics are sooo sweet. What a cutie.

tina

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Welcome to Texas!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Just got in from shovelling out the front walkway -- real Canuck weather here in DFW! :)

Filled the bird feeder again -- and put warm water in the bird bowl for the poor birds!

Of course my DH still has one of our old snow shovels from our days in Canada! :)

Hoping I can post a photo later!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage (off to make lunch and hot chocolate!)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Jenn - I have a friend with a son attending college in Houston. I had to laugh yesterday when they started canceling classes YESTERDAY before any bad weather hit. I bet your area is pretty well shut down?! Ya'll don't know how to handle that kind of weather. It's not much better around here LOL.

tina

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

OMG Jen! That's Austin???

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

It's Fort Worth! We've been pretty much "shut down" since Tuesday.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Yep, hey Jen, I see some SUN in those pics, thanks for reminding me what it looks like, LOL! It's still snowing here in Dallas County!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Duh. I thought you were in Austin.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

No, but I did receive an email from an Austin-based friend this morning showing me their "snow". It's barely a dusting compared to what we've gotten here. It's so pretty ... but we also need to hit the grocery store, the library, and the gym - and going out in this stuff does not appeal at all.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Tina, when I posted the picture I too thought it had to be the UGLIEST snow ever! lol.

School's been out in most of OK since Tuesday. I do love the cold and snow, but not blizzards. Tuesday my dog peed on the patio it was blowing so hard. She never does that.

Snow on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday, possibly a big storm on Wednesday.

Jen, I bought a little cake from Walmart (have you had their cakes? YUM!) and have been eating small slices of it.

And sugar free cookies, sugar free pie, and I have a huge pot of ham and beans cooking now that I'll serve with cornbread. Slathered in lots of butter. And I DON'T care either! :)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

I had no idea there were so many of us from the metroplex! Howdy y'all! And Teacats, I didn't know you were from Canada. Half of my family is up there.

I'm still sick, and getting more irritable by the day. Two eggs left. By some miracle, I found a half-full package of non-expired Dayquil in the bathroom, so at least I can still breathe out of my nose. The pink eye continues...yuck!

• bumble_doodle
    13 years ago

Another half-buried shed. Not much of the 4ft fence is visible. Another 6" tomorrow....

{{gwi:84296}}

• makeithome
    13 years ago

franksmom- I know how you feel. I've been very sick this week (sicker than I have been in years) and between that and the snow, I made it into work one day this past week. And it took me an hour and a half to get there (normally takes 25-30 minutes). I hope you feel better soon and your eggs hold out!

We're supposed to get another storm tomorrow. Can't even believe it. The snow banks are higher than we can lift a shovel at this point... and no, we don't have a snow blower.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Usually I'm pretty sturdy, and don't get sick much, despite a LOT of exposure, so this week has just been so bad, and I just kept getting sicker and sicker. I'm hoping that tonight I can sleep through the night.

Oh, and we have all new updated shopping lists: That attic door insulating thing we keep meening to buy, a space heater, new weatherstripping for the front door, etc. etc. And as soon as it warms up, we're going to finish recaulking all of the windows.

I spent part of the week installing those outlet gaskets, and I can't believe how well they work! I need maybe two more boxes of them to finish the rest of the house, but at least half of the house is done. And I'm glad I recaulked most all of the inside window seams this fall.

I'm ready for winter to be over! Even Mr. Gnome is cranky:

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

I can't get over all the snow! (Texas wow...almost what we have in Toronto...crazy!!
    I'm sure it's a pain, but it's just so pretty!

Lots of gorgeous pictures! Have always loved trees covered in snow...must be the Canuck in me:)

tinam61 and leahcate~Yeah, my little Lab has stolen my heart:) So hard too watch her age phyically (back end is very weak) when still so full of joy & life.

• natal
    13 years ago

Jen, pretty pics! Isn't it typical for Dallas/FW to get a couple snowfalls every winter?

No snow here ... slight chance of a few flakes overnight. And we fortunately missed the ice that closed roads just a little to the west. Schools were closed today in anticipation of icy roads. Always a good idea in the deep south.

• greenthumbfish
    13 years ago

Hi natal,

Isn't it typical for Dallas/FW to get a couple snowfalls every winter?

Yes, and no ;-) I've lived here all my life (save 4 yrs in college) and here's my take, FWIW...

We have had snowfalls intermittently forever, but until recently (last 3 years), it's been moderate. We've had 3-4 major snow falls in the last 3 years, comparably.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

What gorgeous pictures ya'll have posted. I wouldn't want to actually have to deal with the inconvenience of being snowed in or losing power, but for just a moment as I look at those outdoor shots I'm thinking maybe I could deal with it.
    You people have great photo talents. Why aren't you professionals?

• camp56
    13 years ago

Another Dallas area snow picture.

• stu2900
    13 years ago

Whoops! I have no idea how my post got in here twice. Sorry! But, I just love seeing everyones pics. Just goes to show there's natural beauty all around us. Sometimes we just don't take the time to see it!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Camp, that's incredible! You guys definitely got more in Dallas than we did in Tarrant County - and I thought we got a lot! It was pretty while it lasted, but I'm glad to see it melting today. Then again, I'm ready for Spring. Already.

• camp56
    13 years ago

Auntjen, we did get more snow over here, but it's already gone so I don't mind it. It was the three days of ice before the snow that was awful!!

• kswl2
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures, everyone! I just "happened" to be in Miami during our big Georgia snow in January so I missed this outdoor decorating opportunity, lol. Prairiemom, your street is really lovely! I hope you will post a spring version of that same shot.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

"It's a marshmallow world in the winter,when the comes to cover the gorund!"

No snow for me, but these pictures, and the dogs, are beautiful. I feel like singing snow Christmas songs.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Now this is interesting. Texas got the same storm OK. did, but OK. got a lot more snow.

However, since OK is north of Texas, the temps were much colder and the air dry.

Our snow blew so hard a lot of ground is empty of it because the snow is "dry" and made more drifts than anything else.

So further south there's more humidity and warmer temps, so Texas ended up with the pretty stuff!

The last few years it seems all we get are blizzards instead of the gentle falling snow that accumulates. I hate blizzards, you can't even enjoy watching it out the window because of white outs.

And tonight we're due another blizzard with 7-12' of snow. Which equals "ugly snow." lol

Jen, since you all are supposed to get this same storm, it will be interesting to compare pictures, once we can open the door without having blowing snow come inside. :)

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Our forecast keeps changing. Yesterday one channel said we'll be getting 3-4", this morning on a different channel it's 1-2". So, they don't know...I'm making the rounds of errands today in case we get stuck at home again.

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

Bailey, EskimoXPoodle is 12.5 years old

Corky, our failed-foster dog. He's a two-year-old Pit BullXLab.

It is -27C in Southern Alberta today. That's -16.6F! Our third dog, a 11-year-old Keeshond named Sambucca, is quite happy to stay warm inside.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

I don't have snow pictures to show, but we got about 5 -6 inches in central Texas. My adopted dog (he belongs to the neighbors, but he luvs me :^) and I had a ball. He is a lab and really enjoyed the snow! We have about 10 kids in our neighborhood who are between the ages of 7 and 13. DH and I have befriended them, so they all came along to have a snowball fest. One snowball went astray and got me on the cheekbone...It didn't hurt me much, but the little girls were in tears. About 8:00 PM our phone rang and it was two of the older boys calling to see if I was okay!!
    All of this was to say that snow was fun and there are some terrific kids in our world today! Too bad we only hear about the bad ones :^(