Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonda1_gw

basement color help needed

tonda1
15 years ago

We are closing in on finishing our basement and I am trying to pick paints. I am thinking of going with C2 Challah (375) on the walls and was wondering if it would be a mistake to do a C2 red, maybe Canadian flag (038) or Bang! (040) on the soffit and half partition wall or just the soffit. My alternative thought is to do the red on an access wall at the far end of the room. Opinions????

Comments (28)

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

Why do you think it'd be a mistake to do the red there? I think it would be great down there--it'd sure make the view while exercising a bit more exciting, no?! (I love the Challah color name--I was trying to do a Google search on it so I could see the color itself, and you should see how many entries were to this decorating board! And I see that Faron points out it's #3 on his C2 colors hit parade!)

• avaclark
    15 years ago

We are finished with our basement. I hadn't thought about reds as I had them in my kitchen and I had to get rid of them--felt too closed in. But I do like red's.. Here is what I chose Crisp Celery for my work out room and Sun porch for my family room and game room.

Still need finishing touches but we are getting there. Please update with what you decide to do.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww1/avaclark101/House/Various455.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww1/avaclark101/House/Various458.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww1/avaclark101/House/Various462.jpg

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

for those interested in seeing the C2 colors for themselves, see link below.

As to my questioning the red - I guess my real concern is if it is okay to do a soffit (something most people try to hide rather than play up) in such an eye-catching color. My first thought was to do it in a darker color - like a chocolate brown with the Challah, but switched to the red instead because it seemed counterintuitive to do the lower part of the ceiling darker. Am I just thinking too much into all this?

Here is a link that might be useful: C2 site

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I think painting the soffit a different color (especially a darker color) is going to make the room seem more closed in looking by making the ceiling seem lower. If you want the soffit a different color than the walls, perhaps if you painted it and the ceiling the same color, it would give the room more height.

• goldengirl327
    15 years ago

We finished our basement/poolroom/media room last year and used SW nuetral (sp?) on the walls -- it's a green/beige medium color -- and put a dark green billiard ball rug throughout the space. It gave us a rich look and everyone loves the funky rug. My point is...if you want to use a dark color, maybe the flooring or accent colors would be the best placement for it. It looks like you don't have any windows in the space (we don't either) so that might be the way to go. We also painted the soffits the ceiling color and they seem to disappear. That's a good thing because before we painted them they seemed to overtake the room in some areas. Good Luck!

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Avaclark, to get the photos over here, go to Photobucket and then click on the picture you want to use and then click on HTML When it says copied, then come to the forum and paste it in the body of the message.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

Personally, I like color - especially in a basement where there is little natural light. Because ours is a regular basement, not walkout and not deep, we have painted the ceilings white along with many walls. We used color to define separate areas within the space.

Our basement is largely colbalt blue and silver with several accents of red seating and artwork. But I like red accent walls - actually have one in our kitchen.

Here's a link to our basment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Basement

• radaar
    15 years ago

Hi Tonda

I recently saw a designer on TV talking about painting soffits and he said when the soffit is in the middle of the ceiling you should paint it the ceiling colour to have it blend in with the ceiling. When it is against a wall you paint it the wall colour to blend with the wall. Hope this will help you with your decision.

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay, that touches on my concern - guess I will go ahead and paint the soffit the ceiling color and do the far wall an accent red instead of the partition wall and soffit. It seemed like it could be fun, but you guys have talked me off the ledge. Thanks.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

My two cents - I would paint the soffit colour the same as the half wall. But maybe do it in a neutral colour as it is 'missing' a good chunk of wall, given that it is a partial wall. Maybe have the wall behind it or in front of it (parallel to the partion wall).....?

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay, so we went ahead and painted soffits ceiling color, but now that we have the C2 Challah on the walls, we are thinking maybe a different color for the half partition wall and the insets where the benches are. Any suggestions? Should we go lighter, like a yellow, darker like a chocolate, or do the red there?

• payperbiz
    15 years ago

For the basement, I would suggest something lighter than red. I'd go for yellow or sky blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Handyman

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Oh yes, where is newhomebuilder she has the most beautiful colors in her house including her basement, the colors are a beautiful yellow. I hope she comes on so she can show you the colors.

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump, bump

Okay, really should I go with lighter or daker on the half partition wall and bench insets? We have sort of ruled out red at this point as there will be plenty of red accents down there already. So now is it chocolatey or buttery????

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

What is the Floor going to be? That may help direct the decision

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I would go buttery colors, we're going to be going the buttery colors for our basement when its time for us to do the basement. There's something about the yellow buttery colors that feel so good, and if your going to be putting red accents in the room, which I'll be doing too, those colors go so well together. I have to ask you, what will you be putting on the floors?

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the floor is carpet tile - Milliken "Simply Classic Block" which has charcoal, beige, cream in it. Photobucket is being difficult, otherwise I would post a picture of it. The carpet is generally pretty neutral. The Challah on the walls does bring out the beigey colors in the carpet though.

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, finally got photobucket to cooperate (well, actually I cheated it and emailed the photo it wouldn't let me upload). Anyway, here is a pic of the carpet that is going in down there:

• tonda1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, what'd think? we did end up going with red on the accent areas, and although we are still doing some work, here is a sneak peek!

• yborgal
    15 years ago

I like it and it doesn't look too dark at all. The red makes it look like a fun room! (Good match with the table felt.)

• myredhouse
    15 years ago

I love the red! I think once you get everything finished-finished it will look even better. What a fun, warm room! Good job.

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

What a transformation! Looks really nice and a fun place to be. Almost there, enjoy.

• sueb__07
    15 years ago

I LOVE the red! We are doing our basement this spring... I am looking forward to seeing your finished project.

• caroscbran
    15 years ago

Oh I love it...turned out great

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

It's awesome! What a vibrant, fun place to hang out!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I just love the colors that you picked, red is my favorite color. Can't wait to see it all done. Thanks for posting your pictures.

• flyred
    13 years ago

We need a new picture!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations