Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Bathroom - good bones but needs "decorating"

bbstx
10 years ago

The guest bathroom in my new house has me stumped. The floor is pale beige...totally unnoticeable which was the point. The tub, toilet, and sink are white. The tub surround is white subway tile, which will usually be behind the shower curtain. The countertop is carrera marble. The window will have white plantation shutters. The walls are silver sage. Below is an olioboard with the sconces, mirror, countertop, and something approximating the vanity.

Generally, I do not like oriental rugs in the bathroom. I like a mat which is in use only when bathing or showering. Otherwise, I like the floors clean. I can be swayed though.

I cannot "see" a shower curtain. I have thought of white with a silver sage monogram. I have thought of silver sage with a white monogram. I fell in love with a P. Kaufman fabric that requires a 20 yard purchase (Theo in quartz. See link below).

I want the bathroom to look clean and fresh (who doesn't want a bathroom to look clean and fresh?). Classic with just a very slight modern vibe.

What do you suggest for a shower curtain? Have you seen any accessories that would be just the ticket? Mercury glass? Mother of pearl? Silver?

Do I need to buck up and put down a rug to pull it together?

Here is a link that might be useful: P. Kaufman Theo quartz

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How about something in a lattice?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love the lattice, Annie. Where is it from? Are you suggesting that I introduce gray into the room or is that just the swatch color you found for lattice-type fabric?

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

You could buy Theo from a reseller like tonic living or 5fabrics. Tonic would probably sew it up for you, too, if you wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Theo at Tonic

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, robo. I'd found the fabric at Tonic Living before but shied away since they are a Canadian company and I didn't want to deal with Customs. I really like that fabric though. Maybe I'll contact them. Maybe Customs isn't a big deal, like I think it is. (Customs brings to mind long lines moving slowly while I drag a suitcase - or two - and clutch my passport.)

I just ordered a swatch from Tonic Living. $1.50 for the swatch; $2.00 shipping.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Lattice is very on trend now and comes in a whole lot of color ways. The swatch above is from Jo-Ann's. You already have gray in the room in the sconces and in the counter top so it's not really adding it but extending it...the swatch above may not be the right one, but it's just for the idea.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I like very simple shower curtains made from a good, heavy fabric so that they hang nicely. No pattern, just an elegant color, but maybe with some nice hooks that fit the room. I think the all-white for fabrics in bathrooms (towels, shower curtains, window coverings) never fails and creates a spa-like look and feel. Your sconces are stunning, and IMO should be the "star" of the room. Leave the floor bare. Bathrooms should also be practical spaces, and cleaning after you've had a guest should be quick and simple. YOu also, of course, want to mitigate as much dampness in trapped spaces, like a carpet, as much as possible. I have never seen carpeting in a bathroom that didn't end up completely disgusting.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Theo in the Quartz colorway came from Tonic Living today. I like the fabric but it just isn't right with the wall color.

Tibbrix, you've reinforced what I really want to do. Nice white shower curtain. I'm in the south. If it doesn't move, we monogram it. So I may have the shower curtain monogrammed either in white or to match the silver sage walls.

I always use only white towels. I have a nice mirrored box I can put on the vanity along with some silver/chrome accessories. A thick, white bath mat to be used when showering, and I'm done!

I wasn't considering actually carpeting the bathroom. Ewww...cooties! I've seen some bathrooms with small oriental rugs in them, usually in front of the vanity. I want to like them, but for some reason, they always look a little skeevy to me.