Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Sources for decent sheers needed

threeapples
10 years ago

I am doing a tartan plaid in wool on a traverse rod in the library (very excited they will be done soon) and will have a double traverse rod to use sheers for privacy. The ceiling is 10' and I'll hang the drapes just below the coffer. Who makes very good sheers for traverse rods that I can get in taller lengths? Thanks.

Comments (11)

• chispa
    10 years ago

I have the same set up with the drapes in my LR and DR. My sheers are from Duralee. I was talked into this by the designer and 99% of the time the sheers are drawn back and just peeking out from the drapes. This is CA and sheers are no match for the sun. I have Duettes that I use for sun control, but I keep them open as much as possible ... the sheers would block my view as I like my windows as uncovered as possible. We have some mountain views that I like to see. If I remember, I'll close the sheers during a party in the evening. They are very pretty, but I would not be missing anything if the designer hadn't pushed the idea.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

We had sheers custom made for the slider in DH's study because it gets the afternoon sun which makes it difficult to see the computer screen. Most of the sheers were too thin so we had them self lined. The two layers of sheers hang beautifully, block the late afternoon sun yet easily stack when opened.

I don't remember the price since it's been 5 years but it was very reasonable. They were easy to make since there's no pattern or repeat to consider. I think they were Duralee too.

• Baroo2u
    10 years ago

If you sew, or know someone who does, this would be a VERY simple project: buy french pleat tape at the same fabric store where you purchase the sheer curtain fabric. This fabric is inexpensive, comes in superwide widths, different colours (white, ecru, off white etc) and can often be found pre-hemmed & weighted! All you need to do is measure & trim to the correct length plus top hem allowance, hem sides, fold top & press, sew the pleat tape on (this step also hems the top) pull its gather cords, insert hooks into the tape and hang. It would take an hour, tops. I've made sheers for my sisters, in-law & have fabric for a nieghbour waiting for the weekend.

I find the sheer fabric I buy is heavier & better quality than ready mades.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Just to qualify what Baroo2u wrote: if you have some sewing experience and if you have a large work space and table to work on 10 foot lengths, sewing some sheers is not a difficult sewing project.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no sewing experience whatsoever. :( perhaps I should see whether the woman making our drapes will provide me with a quote for sheers instead of searching for ready-mades online.

Thanks.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Don't do ready mades if you have a person you trust to make WT.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/
    Just search sheers and there is an additional coupon right now with code NY15.

• three3apples
    10 years ago

My "person" is going to give me a quote. Now I just need to order Duralee samples. Is there a certain weight or blend that's best for a formal traditional application?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got a quote and found lots of Duralee options online, but can't tell the difference between the whites and ivory options that are less expensive and those that are more expensive. Most are 100% polyester. Is that ok, or is a blend more desirable? Thanks.

• H.Parker
    10 years ago

what about country curtains?

• Apolonia3
    10 years ago

I used to buy all my sheers from J.C.Penney's. They have longer lengths and often have sales.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County