Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Looking for floral fabric

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I am going for a kind of old fashioned look in one of the bathrooms we are doing.

I am copying this look.

The color scheme overall is cherry red, soft green, and light blue. The floor is a floral of red and green on off-white. The tub, shower stall and chest of drawers in this room will be a light blue (exact shade TBD when fabric is chosen).

It is kind of an interesting room, because there is nothing about the floor that would lead you to select blue. It only works in the room because they use fabric and towels that bring cherry red and green together with blue.

I am in search of a retro-ish big floral, red roses on light blue. I feel as though I have seen the fabric a million times, but I cannot find it. I found something close but the background is more aqua. I would rather not use that, because then I am painting the tub aqua ... and the MBR tub is aqua.

So, anyone know of a fabric similar to this?

Thanks.

Comments (37)

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Try a search for "Japanese Lecien rose fabric" --Google and Etsy.

Will be such a pretty bath!

• Jules
    10 years ago

Contact material*girl on ebay to see if she offers it.

Here's one option:

Here is a link that might be useful: Durham Anew

• patricianat
    10 years ago

EBAY urban gardens, Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic ⢠Manor Rose Linen Blend Fabric BTY

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Another option, although I have only found small pieces of it on eBay UK is 'Cath Kidson Rosali' , which is what appeared when I did a Google image search.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I also suggest Cath Kidston. She has a USA website but this is the only link I have right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cath Kidston Fabric

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Not a blue background, but quaint and old-fashioned:

Laura Ashley Roses

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My immediate thought was Cath Kidston, too.

I have a very similar fabric on two chairs at our beach house, but I don't remember the manufacturer. Just found the fabric at an ordinary fabric store.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

That basic idea belongs either backward to depression-era '30's feedsacks, or forward to Eames-era barkcloth prints. Depends on your goal?

Etsy remnant (click for auction):

Cotton canvas calico (good curtain weight):

Check out Moda Honeysweet:

Moda Double Chocolat 3844 23:

My favorite if you're really trying for authentic '30s and can't find vintage fabric: Moda Avalon 20203 17:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is Cath Kidston; she designed the tile. But I haven't been able to find anything but remnants from her line.

Looks like no one makes anything like this.

If I needed two simple shades like she used, for 2 windows that are about 40" wide (sorry don't know the H but there is a before photo below), and a shower curtain, how much fabric am i looking for, roughly?

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Premier Prints does a very similar one, but may be too green a blue for you? You're looking for a china blue shade?

Here is a link that might be useful: Premier Prints floral curtain-weight cotton

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

You can order directly from her website

Here is a link that might be useful: Cath Kidston website

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My3dogs, Patricia, Juju, shanghai,
    Thanks again, everyone. If anyone has a guess as to the amount I need, I would consider buying remnants. But for now i'd rather not go that route.

Hi Arapaho, and Oakleyok
    Cath Kidston no longer sells the print I want; she has something close but it has yellow in it and I don't care for it.

Circus, it's hard to tell what blue it is, but i really like that last one you posted. Whatever fabric I get, the tub will be painted to match. My tub in the MBR is already being painted a blue/green, so I wanted a purer blue in this space. Thanks so much, I ordered a sample.

I agree, the Avalon is lovely!

SueB, Yes, those chairs probably made their way into my subconscience and are probably why I suddenly have to have this fabric.

Tibbrix, yeah the trick here is I want to bring blue into the room, and the only way is a fabric that marries red and green with blue ...

• joshuasamah
    10 years ago

found this on the Joann fabric website Not sure if I attached the link properly but if it doesn't show up go to Joann Fabrics and search for floral, blue

HTH

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

found this on ebay:

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

and this from fabric dot com:

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Tanya Whelan does roses but I don't know anything past that ..

• Kathie738 P
    10 years ago

I thought I saw something similar in a Ralph Lauren sheet on Ebay(it would give you lots of fabric) also,you might want to check out Robyn Pandolph she does lots of beautiful vintage looking fabric...good luck.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

40" sounds wide for the windows, but let's go with that. I'm assuming you need a 72" finished length. (the window appears shorter than twice the width)

If your fabric is 54" wide, then you'll need about 7 yds....doubling the width might be too much for the more casual look you are going for, so I'd do 3 drops at 82" (72"+10" for hems, no header) or 246" which is just under 7 yds.

If your fabric is 44" wide...you might be looking at 4 drops of 82" each or 328" or 9 1/4 yds.

Figure a shower curtain at 72 x 72 and you're looking for another 4 1/2 yds.

However, if that's the look you are going for, I'd consider doing a valance out of the print and stick with the sheers pulled back underneath, especially if you want that softer draped look....I'm afraid you may not find the print you are looking for in the hand you need. Not necessarily this style valance, but just to give you an idea of fabric over sheer.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Or have I misread who "she" is and you are looking for 2 roman shades?

• teacats
    10 years ago

How about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric guru -- flowers

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I agree with AnnieDeighnaugh where sheers would be the main cover and the print is like the icing. The fabrics we are finding are not sheer and would not achieve that same look as the first pic.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I think this got lost...
    So I'll post again...

NO VALANCE... !!!

OK ?

• voila
    10 years ago

Take a look at Clarke and Clarke fabric. I have no affiliation. They have a showroom in CT, and also partner with Duralee, according to their website.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nope, 4boys, valances are always a possibility, especially if you are going for an old fashioned look.

If you are doing a roman shade, you will only need one drop per window, so measure the window height. Add 6" for each drop, which should be plenty for attaching it to the top and seam allowances for attaching the face fabric to the lining. Then decide if you want to still have pleats at the bottom edge when the shade is lowered, or if you want it to be flat. If you want pleats, you'll need more fabric...I'm guessing 8" per pleat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie, so much for your help. I don't want any pleats. I just want the simplest of shades, as in the first photo. They are not sheer.

Voila, thanks, that is a good lead.

Forboys, thanks. I don't want a valance, i want the simplest treatment ever, no frou frou ... the patterns are enough!

Sasafras, the fabric is a light weight cotton with sun streaming in. I don't want sheers, id like to keep it very simple (apart from all the pattern! and three more colors then i have in my whole house in CT!). Thanks for the suggestions. For now I am trying to avoid remnants.

Teacats, great lead I ordered a sample.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

teacats that is the fabric I bought a roll of to do all of my antique wicker furniture on my front porch ! my3dogs sent me to that sight and I loved that particular fabric. The blue is the exact color of my ceiling !

Sorry mnt....I love that fabric. c

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Googling, I came across several rose and bouquet cotton fabrics designed by Tanya Whelan. Most appear to be quilting-weight cottons, but these might give you the transparency and simplicity you're after.

Here is a link that might be useful: another option

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Just found this other link with several Tanya Whelan prints, though I haven't checked availability.

I do realize you may be in search of a heavier fabric, but here's the link just in case.

Here is a link that might be useful: a link from Pinterest

• teeda
    10 years ago

How about this vintage barkcloth fabric on ebay? 10 yards available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Blue Floral

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WMA, That's a nice one!

But I think I am good! I have three samples on the way, and I also found a UK source for the exact fabric I wanted. I will have to see which ones i like best. When I buy a sample, i buy a half yard when I can , or even a yard. Too often I have received samples that are like, 6" sq and useless. So I guess I have now decided on the guest room decor,too! I will have to take all the samples and do some pillows.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So ...
    The UK source, oddly enough, won't ship to the US. Pretty odd. As of the other samples, it was like Goldilcks and porridge. All of them close.

I was looking at wallpaper samples today and figured I would check out their fabrics, just to see.

There was a book of Nina Campbell leaning agains the wall and the first page caught my eye. Not a floral but light and happy and fun. The background is more green than blue, so now I am thinking almost a jadeite for the shower tile and outside of the clawfoot tub.

Here is the fabric with my floral vinyl tiles and Farrow and Ball wallpaper (polka square) suggested by Palimpsest. I think it'll be fun, especially since I will use the fabric as straight shades, highlighting the pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Someday someone will say of this,

• Lady_West
    10 years ago

Can I just pop in and say I'm drooling over all these fabrics that have been posted. I'm thinking about a potential reupholstery project and I've been on the hunt for retro-ish blue/red-pink/maybe yellow floral prints. How timely this post is, great inspiration!

Oh and mtnrdredux, where is that floral vinyl tile from? I've never seen prints in vinyl, I love it!

This post was edited by Lady_West on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 2:00

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

How did you get Kidston vinyl in the US ??
    Thx

• teeda
    10 years ago

Love it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, WMA.

Forboys and lady West,
    Harvey Maria is a UK company that will ship here. They have some super cute products. A few are sold by US retailers, but they are their modern ones that look like photos.

Check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patterned vinyl flooring

• theclose
    10 years ago

I LOVE the Nina Campbell fabric!! It really is gorgeous. I like it better than the florals, actually, and I really like the florals. The Perroquet is unique and adds a bit of whimsy, but in a classic way, if that makes sense. You have to use it!

And I really love all the other elements.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

That combination is absolutely charming---especially love the polka dot wallpaper! Also like the jadeite color for tiles, that is a very "renovated in the 40's" look.