Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Decorating Challenge - Living Room Ideas Needed PICS

eldemila
14 years ago

Okay, I need some advice on what to do in the living room in the house we just bought. I've gone to a few showroom, computer disk in hand of pictures of the house to better show, along with an explanation of the layout of the homes living room and so far, no one has been able to come up with a good idea.

Here's the jist of it...I wish I could do a floorplan and post it rather than describe it, as it sounds so complicated, but hopefully, the addition of pictures will help some.

When you walk in to the house, the living room is straight ahead. Think of it as the top of a letter T, going right to left. The right side of the living room T starts 20" before the left side of the living room T. Meaning, the right side of the lr is 20" closer to the front door than the left side. Have I lost anyone yet?

The living room from left to right is 20'7" wide.

The left side of the T, the bottom of the T is 59", the side of the T is 137" and the top of the T from wall to left end of window sill is 58"

The right side of the T, the bottom of the T is 84", the side of the T to the opening to enter the dining room is 88.5 and the top of the T would be about 55"

Lost anyone??????

Okay, so here's the dilemma...

When you walk in the home, you don't see the left and right side of the T. My goal is to have the living room centered in the 11' window (get rid of the off centered fan too) and bam, you see a (hopefully) beautiful living room seating area as you enter the home.

Not until you walk in to the living room will you see the right and left sides.

What to do with these two sides. Well, one side, the left side, I figured I could have something along the lines of a built in bookcase, or cube storage to show off some of my collectibles, but what to do on the right side? I don't want/need another sitting area. I have no idea what to do or what to put over in this section and no one I've spoken to can come up with anything different than a seating area.

Below are pictures of the "problem" area. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sort of a "panaoramic view"

This is the "right side of the T"

Right side of T and back of l.r.

Left side of T and back of l.r.

Left side of T

Comments (13)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I really need a floorplan :)

Wow, so this is the LR of the house with the hollywood regency kitchen and all that yellow.

Was it added on to? The rooms you are showing now look kind of --ponderous, but there is a lot of potential.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for the delay in replying, I'm "borrowing" someone's unsecure internet for service and it's spotty, at best.

Palimpset, yep, it's me!!!! We FINALLY closed, though it almost didn't happen. No nothing added on to the house, only thing done since it was built was they enclosed the patio, otherwise, it's original. As far as what was done in this particular room, only the flooring. Trust me, when I tell you nothing much has been updated in this house, well, you've seen the pictures! The flooring is one of the extremely few things that was put in new.

I wish I could provide a floorplan for you and Boxerpups to see. I'm sitting in this house with nothing more than a chair and a blowup bed, and thank goodness a computer to bide my time. The tv I brought up won't work, the antenna's not connected to the house, they had cable.

I'll try to see if I can find a online site to put the floorplan on and copy it to here tonight.

Boxerpups, thanks for all the ideas. I don't want to open the lr and dr up to be one, it's so big as it is and I rather like the seperation of the two rooms. I do like the half walls, it's a nice idea for the future.

I'm just really trying to come up with some sort of an idea of what to put on the right side of the living room where the shelf is in the picture.

I am going to probably do this living room in a Traditional / Hollywood Regency style. This months cover of Traditional Home Mag has a stunning cover and thought I could use some of the ideas in that page. I'm probably going to go for a couch similar to a Sheridan design, or something along the lines of the link below - love this sites stuff!

Again, will try to get a floorplan, but I think you may be disappointed once it's done, it's really not anything special, just one sides T is bigger and lower than the other.

THANKS!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

debelli,

I was not thinking, you just bought this house. That last
    thing you are going to want to do is shell out tons of
    money for removing walls. Sorry, I got carried away.

Hollywood Regency is going to be amazing in that space.
    And because it is a T-shape you can create a bar type
    area. And a conversation area in one spot and perhaps
    a beautiful art area on a table.

You could turn one wall to mirrors to give the
    illusion of a balanced T or just keep the shape of the
    room as is. You could also put white bookshelves on
    one side of the T and make an reading nook.

Here are some visuals to think about. Oh and before I
    forget, I love your sofa choice. Fantastic!

Notice this room has seperate areas to eat or
    socialize

Fun Mirror on the wall from Sohaute

This room is small but the HWood Regency Style can still
    work.

This is an odd shaped room too but the HW Regency works!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great ideas, were do you find these? In each picture I found elements that I'd love to use.

Yes, we just bought this older home. Like I said, it almost didn't happen, but I think it has a lot of potential. I really wanted wood floors but, I'm the current floor is starting to grow on me, well, though not the cleaning of it, that's for sure. Darn clay soil is everywhere and I don't get far before I have to replace the water.

The website at Southwood has some of the most gorgeous sofas and chairs.

Here's a few more pics of some sofas.

I'll have to try and find the pic of the built in wall unit/bookcase, it would be beautiful on the left side of the T.

Honestly, with moving up here and not knowing anyone, and being we aren't huge entertainers when it comes to having any fancy get togethers, the lr is really mostly for show. I just like having a formal living room and a seperate den.

I like the idea of an art area, but not sure if it would be too much with a built in on the other side. I have some beautiful pieces I could display, but don't want to overwhelm the room with nick-nacks.

How about some live plants in that corner? I think maybe some green would go good in there? Then again, with my black thumb, anything like that could easily turn brown quickly!

Okay, art display and possibly an interesting console piece with a gallery of family photos? Maybe a tall plant?

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

debelli - Yes, that set up does present a challenge. What is the floor material? I do like the half wall idea as depicted in the first photo in boxerpups first post.

Love the sofas you have posted. Can't wait to see what you decide. Please post a pic when you've finished.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I say, add a FP someplace! My mom had one built very cheaply-- under $500, I think. Another friend has an antique mantle. Neither has a real FP space.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I think it is a good idea to have a formal living room and a separate den area, too! Love the sofa choices! Love the idea of built in bookcases! Can't wait to see the finished job!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all!

This is definitely going to be a "work in progress" and won't be done anytime soon, not only for the reason that I'll be back and forth from our home in FL, but also, I don't want to do it "all at once" I think it will be more fun, meaningful, and possibly cheaper to do it as I can and as I find the things that will fit in well and look good together. Craigslist will become my bestest friend!

WORK, I honestly don't know exactly what the floor material is, but it looks like tile, even has the grout lines, has a silver and light gold tones in it, is 16x16, but it's not tile, probably some type of lineoleum. I was told the previous owners put this down to replace the brown carpet that was throughout the living, dining and hallways. I think it will work well with what I have in mind. Will have to change the wall colors I think.

Anele, there's a FP in the den, I don't think we would put one in the lr, though I think a nice one could look beautiful. If we had guests over, I probably would guide them to the den, we're the type of people who like to be comfey in the den, the lr will be beautiful, but not a place we'll stay long in. Since we are moving, our circle or friends and family will be only coming to visit (hopefully) from time-to-time.

CYN, the reason for a formal lr and den, other than I like them and grew up having one and currently have the same in my old home is because we love to just lounge and watch tv in the den, and I need someplace comfortable to go when I'm being banned from the kitchen when my OH starts cooking!!!

Here's the picture of the bookcase /wall unit I mentioned, I thought something along this order may look nice on the left side of the room, but have it extend all the way up to the ceiling???

Does anyone know of a CAD design on line that's free and then lets you copy to a website like this one so I can do a floorplan?????

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I wonder if it is Congoleum Dura Ceramic, a tile product that can be laid with or without grout.

If you are going for the HW regency look, keeping the tile is fine. Tile often seemed to be part of the look.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Palimpsest, I don't think it's that, the fake grout is part of the actual tile, not grout that was set. I think I know what you are talking about though, I saw it at the big box store with and without. Wish I could find out just what exactly it is. Will have to investigate.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Well, I love your inspiration pics so I think whatever you pick will be lovely!

• karinl
    14 years ago

I may not be too much help as I haven't seen an empty house in conscious memory (or so it feels) but I think it depends a lot on what you plan to do in this room, if anything. Also, on your lifestyle, whether you entertain, for example, or have hobbies you are really immersed in. And on whether this is your TV room, which this nook could work for. Another aspect that would influence me would be at what time of day this room is nicest (all those windows...) and what you tend to be doing at that time of day.

If none of those things matter, and it's all about looks, I think a little library nook would look good. A nice desk with a finished back could be placed in any orientation, maybe even the diagonal, with as many shelves as you have need for. Then passage through the space, which looks to be an issue if I have the layout imagined correctly, would not be impeded.

KarinL

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner