Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of art do you like?

Posted by GinaXOXO (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 22:16

My house is naked. We moved and I pitched everything. My IT asked me what kind of art I like. My answer is I dunno.

So, show me a picture of what you like.

I like this: it is European garden plans framed in glass. I don't want glass because we have an echo problem. Otherwise they would be mine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of art do you like?

They're beautiful! If you love them, and can get your IT(?)to agree, would it be worth the expense/time to have them put on canvas? They really are quite unique.

o

I have quite a few pieces of abstract art in my house so I guess that must be what I like. Here are a couple of mine.
The first one is an original oil that we got at a local college art fair. The second ones are prints that we had made into canvas transfers.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This piece is not one of my abstracts but it is special because my now deceased brother gave it to my DH and me. My brother was an artist but this picture was done by an acquaintance of his. It is an acrylic.

This post was edited by badgergal on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 1:27

o

I'm an art snob. I love non-objective art, I love early Renaissance art, I love medieval icons- I could go on and on! But I don't necessarily love any of those things in my house: art is too much work to look at on a daily basis. I prefer architectural prints, botanical and insect prints, etc. as decor.

o

Art is too much work to look at on a daily basis? I don't get it. Not trying to argue, just truly curious what that means.

Fortunately, DH and I have very similar taste in art, and buying original art has become a fun (um, sometimes expensive) hobby for us. We tend to gravitate toward landscapes, especially when they remind us of places we've been to and loved. We have one that reminds us of a place we used to stay in Maine, we have another of Italy, etc. I also have a thing for paintings of chairs. Don't ask. I know it's odd.

Here is one of my favorite landscapes.

o

Very difficult question to answer as I love...and hate...all art. Mostly I like landscapes, but there are some that are pretty awful. I usually don't like modern art, though some is so simple and elegant I can't not love it. I prefer representational art, yet some of it is ridiculous. Abstract is awful, except when it is wonderful.

I agree with hosenemesis that not all art is for the home. I've been in museums with the most fabulous installations, but I could never live with it...just find it fascinating as a creation or awed by the patience, vision, and attention to detail the artist exhibits. Recently saw an incredible piece where the medium included dead insect bodies...it was absolutely fascinating, but I'd never want it in my house!

I guess I know it when I see it....that's how I got "This Man Who Flies"....the sculptor was the artist in residence and I kept coming back to this one piece...he came over to me and said, "You have a problem." I said, "I do?" He said, "Yes, you're in love." I said, "I am." He said, "You're going to buy this piece." I said, "I am." I had to have it...had no choice.

o

Gina, I hope the next time you move there will be many things you cannot "pitch" because you like them too much to even *think* about living without them. I have so many things I could never get rid of because they are so treasured.

I like, and have, many types of art especially original oils and watercolors of land and waterscapes, still lifes of interiors, dishes, and animals; sculpture; carved wood; and some mixed media. I've done mixed media myself which is fun. The only type I don't like as well is abstract art altho have seen some I like. My criteria for abstract art is if it looks as if I could have painted it I won't buy it.

This is an original oil painting I like because it reminds me of the remote lakes DH and I used to fish at.

photo artoilpaintingnorthernlakewboats.jpg

This is an original oil painting of someone's dog. It must have been a well-loved pet for the owner to either paint it or commission it painted. When I bought it I planned to reframe it but the original rustic frame fits the subject and my rustic/refined decor.

photo ARTCharlieBrown2.jpg

Both these paintings are yard sale finds and cost $2. each. I do have more expensive art that I love but these are just as treasured.

Badgergal, the 3rd pic you posted appears to be upside down, hope you are not hanging it that way. :) It's a nice painting when turned around.

o

Lots of different kinds:
Some of the art I own:
 photo Chromefloorlamp_zps697f7d21.jpg
 photo Guestbedroomart2.jpg
 photo Guestbedroomart1.jpg
 photo officebathroomc_zps05dc9bab.jpg
I scanned real flowers and leaves:
 photo flower1_8x10_600-1.jpg
 photo officebathrooma_zps2b7c2b20.jpg
 photo IMG_20120521_233519.jpg
 photo IMG_20120521_233447.jpg
 photo 2802-1.jpg
My favorite piece:
 photo PalmHouseServerTable2010.jpg

Most of the pencil drawings are my work.

o

Lucky gal, the third picture is not upside down on my computer. It is an Arizona desert landscape. It's difficult to see the Saguaro cactus that are just behind the top of that huge rock. If your seeing blue sky at the top of the photo I posted, than your seeing the picture the way it's supposed to be.

It is interesting though how pictures frequently show up upside down on photobucket.

o

badgergal - Your third painting was showing up correctly when I was on my iPad, but now that I'm on my laptop, it's upside down! Crazy!

I like many different types of art. The oil portaits of my children are my favorites, but that's probably not what you're looking for! I have tapestries, temple rubbings, maps, antique botanicals,landscapes, florals and an antique French veterinary product poster all under the same roof.

Wall hanging we bought in Greece:
Photobucket

I love these two Steve Penley paintings:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Watercolor of a marsh on the Georgia coast:

Photobucket

Dixie Purvis is better known for her abstracts, but I like her landscapes too.

Photobucket

o

How odd! I see blue sky at the bottom!

o

"Lucky gal, the third picture is not upside down on my computer. ---snip---
If your seeing blue sky at the top of the photo I posted, than your seeing the picture the way it's supposed to be."

Blue sky is at the bottom, so I am NOT seeing the picture the way it's supposed to be....

o

The old saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is very true and works when it comes to art for your home, YOU have to love it. It has to make YOU happy when you look at it. I collect art, but I never, ever buy anything that didn't fit into that criteria.

Now, granted, the art should ideally work with your home. For example, a lush, green, very realistic landscape would probably look out of place in a Modern minimalistic room. But, in most cases, one's home usually works with the kind of art they are attracted to.

My suggestion would be to look around your home to get a sense of the colors and style you're gravitating towards. Next, head to an online place like allposters.com and browse through the different styles or genres to see what attracts you. I'm not suggesting that you buy a poster necessarily, but they have a huge selection readily available for you to see and compare.

Personally, one of my favorite types of paintings are landscapes that are relaxing to look at and make me feel like I can walk down that road or across that field and see more and more. I dislike any landscapes that look hot and dry.

Enjoy the search for art for your home and let us see what you ultimately end up with.
Lynn

o

We stumbled upon this artist years ago and have since acquired a number of her paintings. The following three photos show them:

This one has always been a favorite:

And lastly, our elementary school art teacher was in an art show - we purchased this. I love that it's more contemporary than our other pieces - and the colors work with our decor really nicely (it's in the same room as the previous)

I love collecting art - but our house has so many windows, that we don't have enough wall space for what I would love to own.

o

15 years ago, I was really into Shabby Chic and collected vintage florals, which I still like somewhat.

But now I am getting into Subway Art, words on burlap, etc..... not sure how to incorporate it all.....sigh.

I don't think I would call anything I have ART, it's just what is on my walls.....LOL. I also have a lot of mirrors and iron scrollwork.

o

Guess what. I am still confused. But I loved seeing you art. I also liked your reasons for your choices and advice.

I loved this from luckygirl: My criteria for abstract art is if it looks as if I could have painted it I won't buy it.

I am going to use that when I am looking.

And this from Annie: Very difficult question to answer as I love...and hate...all art . . . Abstract is awful, except when it is wonderful.

That was helpful except when it wasn't. Lol. I think.

o

I know I want it in my home when I go back to it, either physically or mentally, several times over a period of time. I used to visit a painting in a local antique mall. It's hard for me to spend money on pleasure-my husband usually has to talk me into it with "will you regret not getting it?" and carrying it up to the counter :) My last visit to "my" painting was with a friend who convinced me that the price was really fantastic-although she didn't think the piece was that great. I bought it that day. Fast forward a few months and she is enraptured with it when she comes to visit! She couldn't believe it was the same painting she had to talk me into getting, even though she didn't care for it in the store.
This is why art is hard to figure out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here