Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to choose lots of light fixtures: please help me choos

Posted by OntarioMom (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 22:15

Hi everyone,

I feel utterly overwhelmed by choosing the light fixtures for my house that has been gutted, added-on to, and is in the process of being rebuilt. I would be very grateful for any guidance you can provide on choosing these lights.

I would say that the transitional style best fits my preferences (maybe leaning a bit towards traditional more than modern). The house on the outside, unfortunately is one of those split-foyers so does not have an endearing style, so don't really know if we can go with what we like for the inside, or need to consider the outside house style.

For reference, I will post the outside of the house and the front door. Bear in mind, there will be a deck with a clear railing on the roof deck, and the stone steps leading up to the front door are not yet installed (so in other words the front will look better than it does now).

As per lights, we will have a number of pot lights, but I am trying to balance those down lights with some up lighting and ambient light that bounces light on the ceiling. Our ceilings are 8 foot so I will do lots of sconce lights as they work better for short ceilings compared to hanging lights. The foyer is about 11 or so feet high, so no shortage of height here (too much height for the small floor area). BTW, the foyer light that I choose needs to be easy enough to dust as it is hard to reach as it is partly over a staircase.

To start I need to choose a foyer light and a number of sconces in the area: 2 matching ones for foyer, 2 possibly matching ones for the upper hall that you arrive at from foyer after going up half a flight, 2 more for the living room (labelled as playroom) and then 2 for the upper hall (end of this hall). It seems to make sense to me to consider matching all the sconce lights in these areas, but maybe this is not necessary.

Do you think I am on the right track with any of the choices posted below? I have posted the foyer light and sconces side by side. If you don't like any of them, by all means let me know that please. And if you know of another light that would look good (foyer with matching sconces, I am open to your suggestions).

Here's hoping you can get me through these decisions for the front of the house, as I have many more areas to choose lights for afterwards.

Thanks in advance,

Carol

Exterior of house if relevant to inside style choices:

photo 2013_09140041_zps2f7a222d.jpg

Front door as I assume foyer light and door should look good together:

photo 2013_09140042_zps00fd1374.jpg

Floor plan of front half of house where lights would go (not entirely up to date but you get the idea).

photo frontfoyerredesign.jpg

Light possibilities:

Option A (foyer light, followed by sconce light)

http://livinglighting.xolights.com/Brand-feiss/one-light-mocha-bronze-framed-glass-foyer-hall-fixture/SKU-V831-f2473-1mbz?callingPage=WishlistElement

photo lightingoptiona_zps990bdc7d.jpg

photo lightingaabigger_zpsa65ff99a.jpg

Option B (Foyer light followed by sconce)

photo lightingoptionb_zpsf204dcea.jpg

photo lightingoptionbb_zps18433d10.jpg

Lighting option C (Foyer than sconce option)

photo lightingoptionC_zpsb0b1163f.jpg

photo lightingoptioncc_zps0e4fcad5.jpg

Option D (foyer than sconce)

photo lightingoptiondd_zps83dae5fb.jpg

photo lightingoptionD_zpse0a5cfd0.jpg

Option E (Foyer light is 20 inch Diameter, sconce follows)

photo lightingoptionE_zps04421d7e.jpg

photo lightingoptionee_zps427dea4f.jpg

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 23:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to choose lots of light fixtures: please help me choos

I'm not a designer so take it with a grain of salt. the door looks like mission style to me. if you search images on the internet with keyword "mission chandelier" or "mission sconce" you will see images of lights that go with the door. I would look for a chandelier first since that will make the most impact and then match the sconce to it.
good luck!!

o

Certainly one can choose to mix styles, but for your home I would expect something craftsman. Your choices are too formal and frou frou IMHO.

I know it is overwhelming! I think I recall seeing you post before -- the house looks great! Good luck.

o

I think you can do what you want on the interior. I do not see your exterior as a strong style you must match for the interior.

I love option A. I say go for what you like. The rest will fall into place.

o

The most important thing for choosing a light is scale. Some people recommend balloons, or I suggest rumpling newspaper and stuffing it inside a plastic shopping bag and shape (using tape if necessary) to get it about the size and shape of the fixture under consideration so someone can hold it up and you can see it in the space. Regardless of style, if it's too small or too large, it will not look good.

o

Also, if you go to a lighting store and they know you are purchasing a lot, you may get assistance from their lighting designer. When we were building, she came out to our house with our architect and together we all selected the lighting for our space...it worked out well.

o

Is it indoor lighting you're asking about? From the outside, your house is so eclectic that I think you could go with almost anything. The front door is very "Bostonian Townhouse" and would look great with a pendant light hanging down the center.

Of the light choices for the foyer you put up, I love the first because I love that style of sconce, where the light bounces off a back plate of some kind. But without seeing the inside of your house, it's hard to give an opinion as to what might actually fit there best.

o

I agree that your house doesnt seem to be a defined style so you can use just about anything. Annie is right about scale...and most people tend to go too small. I honestly like all of your choices...so go with your favorite in the correct size/proportions.

Either go to a lighting store where they can help you with scale, etc..or oftentimes the online vendors have tutorials about size or you can google it. I think it depends on the size of your foyer and ceiling height.

o

Thank you everyone for your hints, advice and fixture opinions for my interior lights (deciding on exterior lights will be done later). I agree that the inside foyer light must look good with the door. I will check to see if I can see how the manufacturer describes the door. I know the glass was called Lexington by Trimlite. My house is unfortunately eclectic which is mostly bad, but couldn't be helped given the addition and the starting style (or lack of style to start). It will look better when those glass railings go in over the garage deck, but might also read a bit more modern at that point than it does now.

We have been consulting with some lighting suppliers and they have been helpful. We hired two different ID to help us with the lighting plan (the regular ID and a supplemental one). Both designers as well as the architect told us to just do mostly pot lights everywhere. However, I don't like that look and have found through reading lighting books that only pots is not a go idea as the lighting is not layered this way. I do like sconces, so am trying to incorporate sconces where I can.

So, I will look up some of the key words in your posts (mission chandelier, Bostonian, Craftman and check into the style of the door). I will also seek out some advice from the lighting stores. I think I will go to the library and read some more about decorating styles.

I appreciate very much everyone's help and comments. Any other advice, votes, guidance you can provide would be very welcome.

P.S. Thanks, Annie for the tip on scale size. Do you have anymore guidance on light size proportions?

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 10:54

o

Boston Brownstone front doors. Notice the ones with the pendant lights. I love those.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brownstone front doors

o

From what I can gather, it appears you have what in New England is called a raised ranch. Yours has much more personality and design than most of the ones here. That being said, without a doubt, the biggest mistake I made was with the light about the stairs. The one I purchased had a bowl that angled upward so that it caught every last bit of dust you could imagine - not just from the house itself but from the outside as it was so near the door. Quickly what was a pretty cut glass chandelier looks dark, and the light it gives off begins to dim as the light bulbs also get covered in dust. I cannot get to it without a ladder, and at my age and ahem... weight, I dislike doing it. I have to rely on my adult children - need I say more. We have just begun phase 2 of a remodel and that will be one of the first things to go.

I know all chandeliers get dusty but I will never have one with the opening facing upward again.

o

Tibbrix,

I like the doors in the link you kindly posted. Those doors do remind me of ours which is also tall like those pictured (ours is an 8 foot door). We were trying to nail down the interior lighting. As per the exterior, I do like the pendant hanging down in front, but at this point we have rough-ins and accompanying holes in the cladding material for two lanterns on either side of the double doors. Thanks for your input.

joannie,

Thanks for your comments. You are correct that we will have to get some education on scale size. Our foyer is small. The floor landing area is just shy of 8 feet by 6 feet. The stair cases are 8 feet combined in width and a half flight up and another flight down. Therefore the space needing to be lit includes both the small landing and stairs. The ceilings are around 11 1/2 feet tall.

Thanks for your help.

Anymore votes or tips.

Carol

o

It is interesting that both IDs only spoke of pot lights. Did you express that you want other lighting? Just odd they wouldn't address that and accommodate you.

My friend did just what Annie suggested - went to a local lighting store that has in-house designers. They did a free consult, my friend liked what they chose and she went with them for all the lighting in her newly renovated home. I would do just the same for ease of planning, etc. I also like to shop locally when I can and in your case, if you want to try various items out, it is the easiest option.

o

I like the first option the best.

Julie

This post was edited by jmunsh on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:30

o

I thought it was odd too, mamorella. Each time I did say I was not sure about the pot lights and wondered about more fixtures. If I knew then what I have learned recently, I would have been firm that I didn't want so many pot lights. The pot lights are only 4 inches and will be directional so that will help. Also, with our rooms only being 8 feet high we do have to consider ceiling height and pots are good for that. Our electrician said pots are the most common fixture for him to install as well and he does high end homes all the time with mainly pot lights (except vanity sconces/bath bars, kitchen pendants and foyer and dining chandelier, but the rest pots). I will see what kind of advice I can get from the lighting stores. Thanks.

Carol

o

lynn,

Thanks for your comments. I so hear you on the dust. Prior to our gut/addition project, we had a ceiling fan in this spot. Every ledge of the ceiling fan collected dust like nothing else. Good point about additional dust coming in through the door too. One factor that might improve the dust issue for us after the renos are finally complete, is our heat will come via in-floor hydronic heat so there should be less dust than with forced air which we used to heat prior to renos.

Yes the style of our house goes by different names in different parts of North America (we are in Canada). It is very similar to the raised ranch you described (there is a technical difference, but I can't remember what it is). Our house, is quite unusual as there is also a second floor above the back half of the house. So we have basement, foyer landing, main level and upstairs bedroom level a full flight over main level. There is also a low ceiling conditioned attic area that is under that tall gable dormer. I have no idea what to describe our house now.

So, Lynn, what style of fixture will you be putting in when you next renovate? Do you like any of the ones I posted?

Carol

o

Ontario Mom, if you walk in the door and there are six steps up and six steps down on the other side it is called a raised ranch. Called so because the main living area is all on one level and raised from the ground level. While it has its advantages - no peeping toms - the ones here are very rectangular without all the lovely gabels you have. There are some with a third level off the back as it seems you have but they are rare. We added a 24x18 2 story addition off the back of our but that obviously did nothing to enhance the front. Our architect drew up plans to do just that, and suggested we should do it for a wedding anniversary gift - we priced it around 10K as all the gas, water lines would need to be moved and I don't think we love each other that much LOL. Still I would love to have your house.

OK - enough about me... I like all your choices but being a bling girl I lean to 1,3 and 4. I can't tell from your plans but be sure to hang it high enough so people aren't blinded if the chandelier is visible from any area "upstairs". I think it is still a good idea to meet with a few salespeople in lighting stores to review their suggestions.

PS - Do you know how many would kill to have that laundry area???

o

The only one I like is the first one and it is too small. It is only 14" (and that is from top to tip so probably only about 7" of substance) x 10" and only is 100 watts of light.

With your 11' ceiling you could probably go any where from 24" to 30" of fixture height and with your area of 8' x 6' + staircase area you could go about 20" wide. And if you are also trying to light up and down stairs more wattage may be required and consider dimmers. These are just suggestions. Ask the lighting people for better sizes that would work.

The front of your house presents quite a strong facade so follow that up with a more dramatic foyer light than what you have been looking at. Don't be afraid of lights. They really can add to the presentation of a house.

o

lynn,

It is very Interesting that you added a two-storey addition on the back of your raised ranch too (not many of us have done that). I would absolutely love to see what your architect drew up for your front. This style of house is hard to beautify. I am glad you think our house looks okay. I can't wait to see the clear deck over garage and the stone steps as it still looks very awkward to me still. I do wish we could have done more to our front, but I love our new 8 foot door as it fills the high ceilings much more effectively (I think the taller doors on these raised ranches really work well). Yes my laundry room will be to die for. We can use it as a craft, sewing room too. We have 4 kids so the laundry never stops.

blfenton,

Thanks very much for your thoughts on the foyer light and especially on the necessary sizes. We will look at much bigger ones. There was a bigger version in that style, but it looked more like a dining room chandelier. I have posted it below, just in case it fits better with what you were suggesting. We have a pot light roughed-in over both the upper and lower stair cases which will be on separate switches. The idea was if we were welcoming guests to go up stairs we would have the foyer and upper pot light on. If our sons, were welcoming guests to go to their man cave below they could turn on the foyer and lower staircase pot. So, the foyer light does not have to do all the illuminating.

Carol

Bigger version of option A above. Is this too dining room like for the foyer space? The dimensions of the below light are:
Width:26.25"
Height:28.38"

photo lightingoptionabigger_zps971fe8c2.jpg

o

One more thing. There is also a medium sized one like the one above with 4 candles. It measures width:16.25" and
height:19.50".

Carol

o

We found some foyer light size calculations on-line and it seems that we need the medium sized fixture that measures 16.25" wide by 19.50" high. So, the one below looks quite promising to me. I have looked at countless on-line websites and this is the one in the lead for me. By all means, if you think it is a mistake, I can still find something else. I am not sure where else to look though as I have searched the on-line supplier catalogs from all of the large and small lighting stores in our surrounding area.

photo lightingoptionamediumsize_zps45c4bb7b.jpg

Here again are the sconce lights. The will be two of these in the foyer.

photo lightingaabigger_zpsa65ff99a.jpg

Now my question is how high to place the two wall sconces in that close to 12 foot high tiny foyer. The foyer is open through a railing to the living room which is half flight above the foyer. Our plan was to place two sconces on either side of a tall mirror (also sure not sure how tall of a mirror to go with, but I am thinking quite tall). Any thoughts on sconce height for this foyer (keep in miind the entry door is 8 feet which is on the wall adjacent to the planned sconces.

Carol

o

The size posted at 20:56 is probably a better size for the space than the bigger one. I think the other one might be too wide. Now as to whether or not it's a light that you would like and would suit your space - that's a question for you guys.

So, do you like sparkle, do you like crystals, do you like frou frou, do you like a slightly more formal look. Because that is what that light will give you. There is nothing wrong with that light in a foyer as long as you and your house like it. If you google foyer lights there are some very fancy ones that people use. Don't be afraid if it looks like a DR light. For me, most of them can be interchanged.

o

The size posted at 20:56 is probably a better size for the space than the bigger one. I think the other one might be too wide. Now as to whether or not it's a light that you would like and would suit your space - that's a question for you guys.

So, do you like sparkle, do you like crystals, do you like frou frou, do you like a slightly more formal look. Because that is what that light will give you. There is nothing wrong with that light in a foyer as long as you and your house like it. If you google foyer lights there are some very fancy ones that people use. Don't be afraid if it looks like a DR light. For me, most of them can be interchanged.

You can keep looking as well, just don't skimp on the size, especially with the ceiling height and the strong facade of the house.

o

Carol,

What is your decor like? Your lights are, to me, such a different personality from your home.

BTW, I have found guidelines about heights and size for light fixtures on line; they are very useful but just guidelines if you need/want to fudge a bit. I also use an online room planner to get a sense of how big a light I want in a given room.

o

Thanks so much for your help, blfenton. I do like traditional lights, especially in a formal entry or dining room. I wouldn't go with that much bling in a less formal room. This foyer will only be used by guests, as the family will use the mudroom.

Any advice on how high to install the sconces in the tall foyer? Any thoughts on how tall of a mirror to install in the foyer?

Thanks,

Carol

o

Mtn,

My decor is a blend of transitional leaning towards traditional. I dislike most modern, contemporary things. We will have hard wood floors, raised panel kitchen cabinets doors, but likely recessed paneled drawers. The kitchen will have off white perimeter cabinets and dark wood raisin coloured island. Our interior doors will have 2 panels (painted); the top panel will have an arch. As per furniture, we have chosen couches with rounded arms and cording (I can post a picture tomorrow). We have not chosen the fabric of these new couches. We will have a fireplace in the great room with stone veneer and a hearth. The front door seems quite jewel like to me.

What part of the house screams modern or in conflict with a blend of transitional and traditional? I don't want to make any design faux pas. Our interior is house down to studs, so we are really starting from scratch style wise on the inside of the home. I am doing what I can to figure out my style choices, but of all the lights I looked at this one for a formal foyer room spoke to me the most. That must say something about my preferences.

Carol

o

Indoor fixture sizing guide:
http://www.lightsonline.com/how-to-choose-the-right-sized-fixture/

When you get to the outside, here's an excellent outdoor sizing guide with examples of different sizes of the same fixture at the same location. Quite a difference!

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor lighting fixture guide

o

Thank you very much DreamingoftheUP. I will read them over after work. Your right that it makes quite a difference.

Carol

Re: my style question. In trying to answer the question above as to what my design style is, I also thought of a few other design features I like. I like decorative plates, crown molding, panel molding (those rectangles or squares on the wall) and any kind of trim painted white. Don't these features say traditional or transitional too?

Carol

o

for a foyer, i would much prefer having a chandelier than a drum pendant. i guess i'm not a huge fan of drum pendants in general, but i think they look best when they're over a (smallish) table.
i personally like crystal... the 1st chandy you posted definitely looked like it was too small for a foyer with large, 8" doors like yours. i just wonder if having a 5-6 light chandelier and the sconces would be overkill--- maybe not...

o

Carol, what about something like this

It's from the Possini Soft Silver collection, and seems a bit more transitional than what you currently have above. It seems the rest of your decor is shaping up a bit more transitional, and the one you've posted above is very traditional.
This one is 28" high by 22" wide, so might be too big.

This one from Capital Lighting is closer to the size I think you're looking for, but not the bling factor and it's getting a bit expensive. ;-(

I found one that balances the bling and the transitional, but it ran close to $3k, so I'm not even going there to post it!
Just some more alternatives.

o

busybee,

Hmmm, not sure if sconces and chandy are too much for small space or not. I do like sconces so much. The foyer is open to the living room via railings, and the chandy light will shed light on that living room as well. In fact, at the top of the 6 stairs the foyer is open to the hall above too. Maybe that allows us to get a larger light. Thanks for your guidance and ideas.

mlweaving, I love that first light you posted (the one from Possini)!!! Thank you, thank you. I have not seen that website, but don't mind buying from a US company as we live close to the border and can ship to a U.S. address and drive down from our Canadian home (we just have less choice on this side of the border). I now need to choose some sconces that match that light (maybe there are some on the same site). LOL about the $3000 light. You are quite right that is not affordable. I would love to see it just for inspiration though -- maybe I can find a much cheaper inspiration? I think if my light reads more transitional rather than traditional, I will be safer.

What does everyone else think about the first light mlweaving posted at 9:11. I would love your votes on this light vs my option Feb 11 at 22:35.

Carol

o

DH likes that first light you posted too, mlweaving. He thinks the sconce light I posted Feb 11 at 22:35 will go. Do you think we could do better?

Someone mentioned above that sconce light might be overkill. One of the reasons I do want them is the chandy will be high given how tall the ceilings are. I would really like to find some sconces that go well with that light you found.

Thanks,

Carol

o

Carol,

It sounds like the lighting will work well with what you have going on. I think the exterior of your house looks great, btw. I was confused because I thought the window choices were modern (eg no muntins, the triangular windows instead of a half moon, etc).

BTW, the light MLweaving posted reminds me a lot of one i saw in RH. The light off of the prisms is so very pretty! I already selected lights but this one tempted me!

o

mtnrdredux,

Thanks for your comment and the lovely light your posted. I think I might have another spot for a fixture such as you posted.

I understand why you thought we might be going for a more modern look as the style of house on the exterior is not traditional. (a split-foyer house is not old enough to be traditional, nor classy enough I'm afraid). Our architect was clear that with our style of house, windows with no divided lights was the way to go. We used to have a semi-circle window over the front door before the renovations and we chose to replace with a rectangular transom window and it seems so much more compatible with the house style on the exterior. My hope is the outside of the house reads transitional and not too modern. If I had tried to make it look traditional on the outside, I think it would have been a mistake.

Carol

o

i like the 1st of the 2 mlweaving posted! ...

i guess i'm not sure where you are thinking of putting the sconces-- i was thinking you had meant to put them in the small actual foyer area--- if you were thinking on the walls up the steps, perhaps that would work but again, i think that would be abit much...
i would put the chandelier on a dimmer to give you a soft glow that a sconce would give when that was what you wanted...

can the sconces go in the dining room or your master bedroom??

o

Thanks for your vote, busybee3. We will put that chandelier on a dimmer. Previously we had a big ceiling fan in the foyer and the light in the actual foyer was never that good. I guessed that was because the ceilings are so high. That is why we are still wanting sconces in the foyer too. I would like to put them on the wall that is shared with the bedroom. We will be putting sconces lots of spots in the home as I love them and they work very well for 8 foot ceilings (which we have everywhere but foyer) to bounce light around the ceiling.

I still have not found sconces that compliment that foyer light posted by mlweaving. Hope I will locate some today.

Carol

o

Carol, have you taken a white plastic bag and stuffed it to the size of the Possini Chandelier I posted, and hung it to see visually how it will look? It's 28" high.
If your ceiling is 11', and you hang that chandy with approx 20" of chain, the light itself will be between 7 and 7.5 ft off the floor - a good height for an entry chandy.
The fixture takes 6 60watt bulbs - more light than your old fan put out for sure. You definitely want to have a dimmer on this fixture.
And I agree with BusyBee that sconces in this area will be definite overkill. I'd save the sconce budget for places that you'll want other lighting.
If you're still undecided you can have the electrician run the wiring and bury it in the wall where you would like sconces, and not put a hole in the drywall. If you find later that you still want the sconces you can add them without any more trouble than opening up the hole in the drywall and accessing wiring.

o

IF you are still lookiing for sconces I like this to coordinate. It has the same finish and has crystals. I can't find one iwth the same style of crystals, but I think the overall look and finish are compatible.

Actually, I'll post a link to that page, there are a lot of really pretty light fixtures on that website.

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting source

o

Exterior lights should go with the style of the home, and interior lights should go with your style, I would hope you would not choose colonial lights in an ultra modern setting/interior.

o

Thanks Aputernut. I am a bit confused on your sentence below: Is it just general advice or do you see some elements that are ultra modern in some of my lighting choices. I don't like modern style in general.

"I would hope you would not choose colonial lights in an ultra modern setting/interior".

Carol

o

Carol, I think you architect was right. Your house looks great!

o

mlweaving,

Yes, that sconce does match nicely. Thanks for pointing that out. DH called two large lighting supply houses and they both told him the sconces would not over power the room if used together with a large chandy. If our foyer was closed in with walls it would be too much they explained. Our foyer is only closed on one wall with drywall, two with railing and one with a door with glass. Therefore the light has places to go. Of course, they may have just wanted to up size my order LOL. In any event, your idea of just roughing in for future sconces is a good option too. We will be doing the bag sizing trick this weekend for sure to make sure the chandy works with the size.

One last question, what height should the foyer sconces go as the ceiling is 12 feet (not 11 as I stated previously) and the door is 8 feet.

mtnrdredux,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Carol

o

No that was a general statement, that your choices should reflect your style, both inside and outside style of the home.

o

I wouldn't choose the foyer light with regards to the front door style. Instead, choose your lights based on a cohesive design plan that that defines the style of the surrounding rooms. That doesn't mean that all the fixtures need to be the same style, but they should work well together.

o

Thanks dilly_ny. That is good advice. I think if I stick to transitional lighting and transitional furnishings I will play it safe.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here