Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Layout advice bedroom

sochi
10 years ago

We need to finalise electrical, lighting placement next week for our cottage vacation home currently under construction.

My main question is where to put the queen size bed? From a layout perspective I believe the best option is to have the headboard along the north wall, opposite the entrance to the bedroom. Problem is the view out the window will be the outside wall of our shower. The better position if I want a view of the woods is to place the headboard along the west wall, directly opposite the window. This means the bed will be fairly close to the door.

Any thoughts, experiences with similar layouts to share?

Ignore the closet, we will have only a single dresser in this small master bedroom. The room is 10'6" x 12'1". There are clerestory windows along the west wall.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think in this case you should break the rule and put if where you can see the view if that's most important. personally I would probably feel better with the bed on the blank wall, but I can see why getting up to the view would be nice.

In any case, I would put the appropriate outlets in so that the bed can be placed in either position.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

To me, a bed should always be on the wall opposite the door.

That said, views trump all; that is why you are there.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Go for the view. As you get older, you will appreciate being close to the door and therefore close to the bathroom!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I had a similar problem in our last home and we had the bed sitting opposite the door into the bdrm. It was a small wall and I thought one should see the headboard as you entered the room. I ended up getting a second nightstand that forced me into putting the bed on the wall left of the door as you walked in. The bonus was that the view was much better and we were able to leave our blinds open and enjoy the view when we woke. I wish I had put the furniture that way when we fist moved there. Go for the view!

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good advice, thank you. I think I will try it out with the bed facing the view, if it is too awkward or uncomfortable I will shift to opposite the door. Best to have appropriate outlets on each wall, I agree. Thanks again.

• localeater
    10 years ago

Facing the view, but the door swing would bug me. It would smash into my night stand. Can you change the swing, make it a pocket door, spit the door into two, etc...

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

I was taught that the most open part of a bedroom should be the area where you enter the room. For me it's not an issue of which wall the bed is located on, but where the bed is on that wall in relation to the door, and where the most open part of the bedroom will be.

So centering the bed opposite the window would probably feel constricting to me -- the opposite of welcoming.

I spose it's too late to widen the window or move it further north?

To get an idea of how much space there will be with different layouts, cut colored paper to the size of your bed and other furniture (to the same scale as the floor plan). Then move the pieces around on the floor plan until you find what works best. It may help to draw the room on graph paper, so you can measure how much space there will be between the side of the bed and the wall, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Definitely the view.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio