Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Florida Before & After/ Remodeled House

beaglesdoitbetter1
10 years ago

Most of you know we bought a FL house a few years ago and went right to work remodeling it. Thought some might like to see how it turned out.

We are now thinking we're probably going to sell it & buy somewhere w/ more land (and some of the remodeling choices were made w/ that in mind) so if you have any suggestions for what I can do to spruce up listing photos and make it look good, I'm all ears!

We resurfaced the pool, rescreened the linai & replaced all windows and doors:
Before:

After:

Tore out carpet, removed drapes & horrible lights, got rid of the popcorn and added trim.

Before:

After:

{{gwi:1617312}}

Removed the sliders & blinds, changed out the light fixture and painted:

Before:

After:

And completely redid this room (new floor, new windows, new doors, new light, beadboard ceiling, new bar, etc.):

Before:

After:

No more formica:

And the bathroom was a gut remodel (this is the room I did after we pretty much made up our mind to sell. If I was going to stay, I would have done ming green marble tile. Instead, we did knock-off white marble for more universal appeal/ lower cost):

During:

After:

More pics on my blog

Comments (19)

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That was fun to see, thanks for posting! I will leaving the staging suggestions to the experts, IMO, it looks ready to sell.

I especially like what you did in the bathroom and the green bathroom sink cabinet.

I will assume that there was no kitchen makeover?

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It really looks great! Love the sunroom/bar area that faces the pool. I could live in there alone. I really like the bath. Too bad I'm not looking to move to FL.

I would also like to see the kitchen.

I think from a selling perspective there is enough "stuff" to make it look successfully staged, but not overkill/clutter.

• msrose
    10 years ago

Great makeover! I love the living room floor. Can you tell me what it is?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The people before us redid the kitchen. All I did was take some oppressive cabinets down (the ones that used to live on either side of this window) and change out the old window. I don't like what the people did, I think it is a cheapy remodel and it looks it. If I was going to stay, my plan was going to be to move the kitchen into the area where the dining table currently is located and make a big kitchen w/ an island and then do a small kitchen table under the black light in that room. But I'm not doing that to sell.

morose it is hand scraped bamboo.

Kitchen:

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I would just leave the kitchen as is. No uppers on that side look somewhat odd, but I can see cabinets would look crowded in that space, too. I see there are upper cabinets on the other side of the room, so at least there are some uppers. I would put some fruit or flowers on the counter to add some color and make it look a little less neutral, but you don't even have to do that.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gsciencechick having the cabinets up there was horrible. They were too big so overhung the edge of the wall and since you could see the sides, you could see how cheap they were. They also pretty much blocked light from coming in through the window. The cabinets I took down are still in the garage, though and would be easy enough for a new buyer to put back up. I was going to put up a few shelves in those upper areas and put some colorful plates on them, but don't know if I will bother. Good idea to put a fruit bowl out.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It looks great! Love the bathroom and sun room! Maybe just add some flowers/plants and some accessories (pillows, towels)
    In the kitchen, perhaps add some shelves left and right of the window?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice job!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think you are in good shape. My only comment would be on the photos, which you will probably have someone else take, but it's important. The driver for your house will be the outdoor space. The "before Lanai" photo looks better then the after, because the way the after was taken shows too much Lanai structure and no water. You probably knew that, but just in case, make sure the photo is looking out not in, and crop it so as not to show the Lanai innards.

• downsouth
    10 years ago

Great job! I especially love what you did to the sun room. I agree the before picture of the lanai/pool looks better than the after pic.

I would put away the knife block in the kitchen, add some flowers there or a fruit bowl..I was thinking a bowl of artificial green apples for a punch of color.

I would change the outdated white ceiling fan in the dining room or maybe you could paint those white blades? The end table in the sun room looks outdated, but its okay for Florida decor. Just seems to stand out with other things in the room.

Love that you added the claw foot tub in the bathroom...a great makeover!

Who would put granite with those cheap cabinets, but I agree I wouldn't go to the expense of changing it. Remodels can sometimes go overboard and you don't recoop your money. We just did this on a home we thought was our forever home, now we are renting it, lol! :)

Good luck on finding your dream home! Any changes to the bedrooms?

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Nice job! I've been looking at FL real estate, thinking ahead to retirement. The fact that we are getting another HUGE snow storm is making me want out of here!

What part of FL are you in?

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Looks good!

I would for selling put at least a shelf on each side in the kitchen as it looks too bare right now and like there would be a storage issue.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Everything looks so nice, and the indoor/outdoor living space are making many people wistful, for sure. The curb appeal especially is so much better now.

I generally don't like to comment on real estate outside my own areas. I truly don't know what might sell in Florida. Besides the suggestions above, I did notice the original eating area chandelier that is currently in the corner over what appears to be a large lounge chair. I might just swap out the light or cap it off. In the patio, I might consider switching around the seating arrangement so the lovely view is the focal point opposite the sofa. (Though, it is so beautiful itself it likely commands any attention first IRL).

• natesgram
    10 years ago

If you don't want to put up shelves in the kitchen, perhaps a picture or plates on the wall. It just seems a little bare. Everything else looks sell ready.

• gmp3
    10 years ago

You did an amazing job, Iove the cool, beachy colors. Smart move to leave the kitchen. It isn't a showstopper like the rest of your home but it is not objectionable either, you probably wouldn't have gotten an investment in changes out.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Lovely. I do agree that shelves or pictures on the walls next to the window in the kitchen would make that space look more finished.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux, I will definitely have better pictures for the listing!

downsouth the old white ceiling fan in the dining room is replaced w/ a brand new nicer white one w/ a pretty light. I just swapped those out about 2 weeks ago. The bedrooms were painted and I switched out the doors in the master bedroom from an old slider to one of those new doors w/ the blinds between the glass. But the bedrooms are just kind of plain bedrooms, not really worth taking pictures of (although I'll obviously put the master up for the listing)

bonnieann925, we are in Clearwater (Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area). I really like it here. Lots of happy hour dinner specials and fun beach restaurants, plus fancier places in Tampa and a lot to do. The beaches are very nice too, we've been to a lot of different areas in FL and I like Clearwater Beach best of the places we have been.

gooster, yea that chandelier is over a little sitting area, which is kind of goofy looking. But that room is pretty dark to begin w/ so I don't want to get rid of the light. That whole room, with the dining table and that lounge chair, I just don't see the point of. I don't know what you're supposed to do w/ that room really since we already have a living room/dining area and the sunroom. I guess you could put a TV room in there but it is too big and awkwardly laid out. That area is where I would have moved the kitchen into if I was staying. I'm not sure where you mean to move the patio furniture to? I will have to move that around for showings, right now it is just pushed against the walls b/c the dogs can climb up on the arms of the sofa and see lizards in the eves when it is arranged a certain way. Then they just bark and bark at the lizards they can't reach (that they want to eat!)

Seems like there is a consensus that I need to do something in that kitchen area. I will see if my handyman can find/put up some shelves for me!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I think you have done a fabulous job but I agree that your pictures, which you state you will have, could be of far better quality. I don't think your pictures do your redo justice.

Also, it will not cost much. I think I would put some glass shelving on either side of the sink. Or either put one of those pot racks that fits against the wall. I think that would give it a more open look than cabinets and still give the impression of having more space for storage.

I recognized that you live in the Tampa area. We have friends who bought a winter place in an area of Tampa that looks very similar to yours with the layout, the lanai, and so forth, (so very similar. I assume many homes, condos and apartments are built by the same contractor or the contractors use the same architects in each area.

Someone is going to love this property. Congratulations on a job well done!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

beagles: Sorry for not being more clear. I meant the seating arrangement in the sunroom. It seems to be centered on the TV. For pictures and staging, it may be better to have the focus on the view by shifting the long sofa in other direction. Too funny about the dogs and the lizards, though!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert