Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Would you put a Saarinen round table in this space?

rockybird
10 years ago

I was thinking of putting a Saarinen marble top table in this space, in front of the blue chair. It is a den area that is bordered by two bedrooms, an office, and a bathroom in a mcm house. I thought it would be a good place to sit and work (the windows have views of the pool) or to eat a snack and watch tv (if I ever get to installing one at the orange cabs) or possibly meet people for work. The tables are on sale at dwr next week, and I am *thinking* of buying one. The space from behind the couch to the wall, and wall to wall is 15.25 x 17 ft. I'm not sure on chairs either. Maybe eames chairs? The tables come in 35, 42,47, 54" sizes. I was thinking of the 42 or 47" size. I also have the light grey 8x10' nesta rug from dwr. I thought that might be nice under it. Thanks for any opinions!

Saarinen table:
{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Love that table and chairs. I've seen a couple in vintage shops here in LA and I've been tempted to buy one, but I think we need a walnut table because our house is becoming one large expanse of white.

My only minor reservation is that with the photos you've posted, the table and marble top is a cool white with gray tones and might clash slightly with what appears to be warmer white/cream tones in your floor, wall color and your sofa. Could you possibly take a photo during the day with the natural light so we could get a more accurate picture of the color in the room? Hard to tell from my monitor.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Absolutely, and there probably never was a better place for that type of table, it will look fabulous!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like it. I think it has found a home, unlike so many of the other homes where I have seen them. It is great for your space and I agree with KSWL. "If there ever was..."

• emilymch
    10 years ago

Table, what table? I'm too distracted by that Evelyn Ackerman tapestry. That piece is a favorite of mine! Can I move in? I hope you don't say no - Im already packing ;)

Seriously, a tulip table would look fab. It's a classic, and your house is a perfect match for one. I have a knockoff tulip table in my dining area with some teak chairs, and I really like the contrast of the white laminate & powder coat with the warm wood.

I wish your bird chair wasn't tucked in a corner - its such a cool chair, and the back is so dramatic. Do you have somewhere to put it that it can be seen from all sides?

• Jules
    10 years ago

I'm surprised you even need to ask ... or that you don't already have one. Yes, your room is calling for that table.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I agree. It's a great spot for one.

Pipdog you can get these with a walnut top. Most vendors only carry the white, but other options are available.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I guess I'll do it! I suppose I'll get it in the stocked arabescato marble or maybe the special order calacatta marble? I just wanted other people's opinions. :)

Pipdog, here is a pic of the floor in daylight. It really is pretty much light grey/cream, but I will most likely be tiling over this floor in the near future:

Yillimuh, thanks! I love that tapestry too! The bird chair - I cannot find a good spot for it. The problem is that the matching ottoman was stolen by a worker - I dont know who. I found another ottoman at a mcm shop, but the fabric does not match. They do not make this fabric anymore. To make things worse, my parrot found the rubber shocks and chewed a few pieces out of it. I feel like it's safest in the corner, but I agree it is not the best place for it.

Here are some of my other EA pieces. :)

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Oh wow, that tapestry is so cool! Now that I see your floors I think the table would look great in the space. I vote yes!

Sorry to hear about the workers stealing your ottoman. That's crazy they just walked off with an ottoman! We just had one of our workers steal some valuables from our house -- including an Iphone on the last day of our remodel when we were moving stuff. Stinks!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

here's the chair ... haven't read all the posts and not sure if you were getting them as well. It's at Furbish Studio - Eiffel Dining Chair $250.

{{!gwi}}

• emilymch
    10 years ago

You have more than one EA piece?! That's it: we're design soulmates. GORGEOUS collection, rockybird!

That's ridiculous that a worker stole your bird chair ottoman. Sheesh! Have you looked into getting it reupholstered? Knoll has some very appropriate fabrics that would look great.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

I know! I was SO ANGRY when I found the ottoman missing. There is no doubt someone walked off with it. Everyone denied it, but someone took it. I doubt they knew what they took. :(

arapaho- those chairs would look great. I was thinking of those or the one in the link below.

Thanks for the compliments on the EA collection. :)

Yillimuh, LOL. I think her stuff is getting harder to find, especially since she recently passed away.

They told me at DWR that I couldnt match the color as knoll doesnt carry that fabric anymore. :( I decided I'll have to recover both someday...but it is SO expensive. They said knoll recommends buying the covers made for the bird chair and not having them custom made, as they will never fit quite right. Below is what I have now...it actually blends better in person.

Thanks Pipdog! I guess I will get the table then. I cant wait to see more pics of your gorgeous house!

Here is a link that might be useful: eames molded chair