Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please lend me your eye for colour so I can finalize kitchen

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Back again with more design challenges. We could really use some more help -- I am finding all these decisions nerve racking and I have decision paralysis big time. Please let me know the good, the bad and the ugly from our proposed images, and especially let me know if you know of a good SW colour for the perimeter cabinets.

We are trying to nail down our finishes for the kitchen and areas that open onto the kitchen. We need to decide what colour to paint the perimeter cabinets that will be in the kitchen as well as the built-ins that will be on either side of the fireplace (I want them the same colour). We have yet to choose our fireplace stone but are leaning towards something in the grey family. The couch fabrics we have chosen are silver grey. We have yet to choose the fabric for two chairs to go with the couches.

Here is a shot of the elements we are thinking of for the kitchen -- please let me know what you like and dislike.

Hardwood: on left
island cabinets: small brown square on bottom of picture
wall colour: sample paper on right SW Storm Cloud
island hood: top right corner (hammered light silver)
To be decided what colour of Sherwin Williams off white we should use. We need to do SW as that is the paint line used (industrial paint by SW).
back splash: top middle

Here is another shot of the back splash which shows the shapes:

Here is a layout picture of the large kitchen that will have the above elements, followed by a line drawing of the island hood.

Overall, I prefer cool colours, but there are some warm elements chosen for the kitchen. Here is an image of a fireplace stone we are considering. I have yet to see the hand sample, so I have just seen a photo (posted below).

Thanks in advance for any opinions. I really wish I had an eye for colour and hope you will lend me yours.

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 22:17

Comments (28)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hey carol, funny meeting you here! ;)

you know what i'll say - i LOVE your colors. it reads balanced, but skews cool which is so appealing to me.

if i had to be critical of something, i'd question the backsplash. while i'm sure i'll drool over the finished product, it just seems like there are infinite choices out there and this one seems a little bit bland, especially considering the pricetag, though that's none of my business. :)

are you sure you want offwhite instead of white? by offwhite do you just mean white that's not shockingly bright? or do you mean offwhite like cream offwhite?

the reason i ask is because i was thinking i wanted cream originally too in the very beginning before i nailed down anything else, and then i couldn't find any inspiration photos i loved with cream because i didn't like what the cream did to the other cool colors i like. for example, the photo below has the same blue wall color. see how it takes on a really different color with the ivory trim?

i think the creamy tones in your counters would look nice with a muted white. clean and fresh!

i love the hammered metal you chose too! and the wood is so pretty.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi maggiepie!

Thanks! Your comments make me feel better about my choices. We went to the Benjamin Moore store where they have some colour experts and the owner there was not very keen on the hardwood we chose as she said it was quite pinky and the blues and greens we wanted in the house would make it look pinker. I had not realized that, although I don't mind pink. I had always liked the hard wood sample.

As per the off white for the cabinets, we were thinking of a cool white, not a creamy white, but really are not sure. I definitely don't want it at all stark white.

As per back splash. Yes it is plain. I want the counter to be the star and don't want the back splash to compete. The price is high, but it was the only plain one so far we have seen that matches. Our Canadian prices are often much nastier than in the US. I am open to other suggestions for a back splash for sure as long as it is not too busy.

BTW, I changed the blue from what you and I discussed earlier on the building forum. as well as my plans for the hood colour. I think this SW storm cloud colour I show in opening pics and the posted hood colour and texture are better options than the SW Needlepoint Navy colour I was previously considering (they are a bit less bossy and a step closer to neutral, but still blue or blueish).

Carol .

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a good SW white to recommend that will go with the other kitchen elements? Here is some pictures of four SW whites. In addition, I wondered about Shoji White SW 7042, which I don't have a picture of taken with the quartz, but I have linked the colour. It is worth noting that Shoji White is listed as a colour that goes with the grey blue proposed wall colour (Storm Cloud) according to the Sherwin Williams site. Here are some options:

Below is Alabaster SW 7008

Below is Dover White 6385

Below is Incredible White SW 7028

Below is Pure White SW 7005 I was thinking of doing the trim in the house in Pure White. I am not sure I want the cabinets as light and white as the trim (thought I would have a contrast here), but what do I know.

There is a link for Shoji White SW 7042 from the Sherwin Williams site below. I can take a picture with the granite on Friday if this colour is at all promising.

Please give me your votes. Thanks.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoji White

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone got an opinion on any of these white? Please...

Carol

• three3apples
    10 years ago

Dover is my preference.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I like the Dover too.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks three3apples and yayagal for your opinions. Dover white is in the lead then. Any more votes?

I am going to look again for a back splash that reads more grey (maybe charcoal grey) to bring in the grey elements more. I'm think the other one is too matchy-matchy.

Carol

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Someone has to disagree. Might as well be me,

Dover is the first one I'd rule out, especially if you might go more grey in the back splash. Too much yellow, at least on my monitor. Hard to pick exact shades from a computer screen, but I might go with Pure White. Be sure to test whatever you are thinking of using in your room and with the lighting there. Swatches in another room may give you a completely different read.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi lascatx,

Thanks for your input. A colleague at work who is excellent with colours also voted for Pure White. I was going to do pure white for the trim anyway, so now I am strongly thinking it will be Pure white for the cabinets and trim.

All,

I have found another back splash which is a dark glossy charcoal grey with just a hint of blue/purple and even some taupe undertones. I will post a picture of the all the elements tonight after I go back to the counter store where they have a decent sized sample of the counter.

My next question is whether I am on the right track with that hammered silvery grey vent. The vent material (the one in the original pictures above) has two colours, and one of the colours matches perfectly with the proposed grey/blue wall colour. However, my friend at work wondered if I should consider going lighter and not be as matchy-matchy. Any opinions on the hood? I will try to photograph another hood option today too.

Thanks all.

Carol

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Another vote from me for the Pure White with your counter and the other colors used as I feel the Dover White is too creamy despite being so pretty.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lynn2006 for your vote. Do you see any other kitchen elements that should change?

All,

Here is a picture of the kitchen finishes with two different back splashes. The one I showed at the start of this thread was quite matchy with the counter. What do you think of these two and do you like option one with the more matte finish back splash or option 2 - the glossier one?

Option one back splash with more matte finish (white for perimeter cabs in Pure White SW)

Option 2 more glossy (and darker) back splash. White for perimeter cabs is Pure White again.

So assuming I do the Pure White as pictured in both images above, my questions are now:

1) Which of the dark charcoal back splashes do you like better or do you like neither?

2)Do you like the hammered metal that is proposed for the island hood, or should I be trying for a whiter hood material?

3)What finish should I be doing for the drawer/cab hardware (stainless or oil rubbed bronze or something different)?

4)Ditto with what colour light fixtures should I look for --- stainless or oil rubbed bronze or something different?

P.S. My preferred decorator style is transitional maybe leaning slightly towards traditional and my appliances are stainless.

Thanks and keep you opinions coming please.

Carol

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I vote neither on the splash, but it may be appearing darker where I am seeing it than what you are seeing. They both look pretty black here and the contrast is harsh against all the soft tones you have going together. They are also making your counter look more beige than grey, which makes the grey or black seem out of place. The good news is you don't have to have a splash in to use your kitchen so you can take your time. They are easily installed later.

I think the hammered metal can work fine with stainless appliances and your colors. I would look for hardware in the silver tones, but that could be chrome, stainless, brushed nickel, pewter and other variations. I like the idea of a brushed or other soft finish like a pewter. Those will go beautifully with your blue/grey. I think ORB or black would be too harsh and spotty looking.

What would you think of wood for your light fixture? Something like this --

This one can be found online at Shades of Light. I've seen it in person and liked it -- then saw it in their catalog. There are spheres and other shapes in wood too. I think you can overdo all the silver metal finishes. Darker metal finish is possible, but style, weight, shape, and the other things you have going in in your kitchen and home will make a fixture work or not work. Can't tell any of that from your swatches.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, lascatx, for your advice and ideas. Maybe the splash is too dark. My friend who suggested it was thinking the dark would tie in the dark stout maple island as previously the island was the only dark element. I do have to decide the back splash soon as my DH needs to build the half wall that forms the rest of the L in the kitchen. The rest of the house is framed and most of the rough-ins done (except the kitchen). He wants to know the size of the back splash material so he can judge precisely how high to make the half wall so the tiles don't need to be cut more than necessary. Do you have an idea what colour back splash would look good? I don't want a busy back splash.

Thanks for the suggestions on the light fixtures. I will look for metal/silver coloured light fixtures and leave the oil rubbed bronze. I don't think the posted light fixture is me, but I do appreciate the suggestion and the online light store you described above.

Carol

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I vote for Pure White, if the polls haven't closed yet.

I like the black tile, but ... i find it almost impossible to pick out tile that ive not seen grouted on a board. For example, if you use light grout, you will create a very busy pattern.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I should go back and reread what I wrote last night. Not sure it came across the way I intended. It's hard to say "Yes, go for a darker light fixture" because we're looking at swatches and not the room or your home. There are darker finish fixtures that would look good and others that wouldn't fit at all. Will you use the darker finish for the hardware on your island? Will it tie in with elements in the adjoining room, etc.?

That wood fixture was one I saw recently so I didn't have to go searching, but you can find a lot of styles in wood. I've even seen wood in a drum shade. Or cork. What's appealing to me is a soft, weathered, texture and a natural element. It could take many forms.
    Cork:

Wood:

or go darker finish but still keep a natural element with a touch of rope

That's just a beginning. There are always a ton of fixtures to look at. I probably WOULD NOT go with a silver finish in a fixture -- but I'm not a matchy, matchy person. I think they are also on the downswing in popularity except for contemporary fixtures and bathrooms. And with all the cool colors and finishes, I like an element of warmth and iron or bronze can add that. But you have to watch the style, weight, how it tie into the room and adjoining space. That's my feeling -- not a rule.

Tile is tough without seeing the room and the adjoining spaces or at least knowing more than I do. I like simpler splashes most of the time, and I tend to favor non-porous surfaces like glass and glazed tile. I considered using stainless or pressed tin, but decided I didn't want the detail for cleaning issues. Just looking at your swatches, I could see something like the mosaic linked below. You don't have to rule out a mosaic to keep a splash less busy -- just go with a simple and lower contrast. Is there a lighter grey in the tile you were looking at? Do you have other stronger, darker color elements in the adjoining room?

I like what you are working with and I'd like to offer suggestions, but keep in mind that seeing only color swatches, it's really hard to know what kind of design direction you want to take. "Transitional" is probably the broadest possible description (not a criticism -- I would describe my own tastes and transitional and somewhat eclectic).

Here is a link that might be useful: mosaic tile

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnrdredux,

Thanks for your vote on the cabinet colour. Looks like Pure White is what it will be. The back splash is not black, but it is dark (perhaps a bit darker in the picture than in real life as is the island cabinet colour).

lascatx, Thanks so much for posting the other nice lighting fixtures. I do like the wood elements too. Picking lighting fixtures is even harder than tiles (and that is brutal in my book). I have posted below a few light fixtures I was thinking of in the kitchen (but I do not have a design flare so can go another direction).

All,

We are hoping to meet with an interior decorator this Friday to go over our short list as it is very hard to do it all ourselves even with GW's help (which is invaluable). However, the more I can narrow down my plan before I meet with the designer the better and that is where you kind posters can really help me.

Here is a bit more back ground. We are quite a clean slate decorating wise in the open concept house we are building as we have gutted and are re-building the entire house which includes an addition. We are not re-using any furniture in the area as what we had was very worn. The only element we will have to re-use is an natural oak china cabinet with glass doors. We have matching chairs and a table but the chairs are falling apart, so will replace the chairs and table soon too. The hardwood for the kitchen is planned for the entire open concept space. We want to go cool colours for the great room furniture. I am a fan of blue.

Here are some possible lights for the kitchen and adjoining dining room for your opinion. I will look more at the lights posted by lascatx though as well as the site she mentioned.

Kitchen lights up for consideration:

Semi flush

Pendants:

Possible chandy for dining room that is on other side of short L of kitchen ( dining is open to kitchen except the half wall)

There is a wall for two sconces in the kitchen. We were thinking of these

So I would welcome any opinion on these light choices. Will the colours I have selected for the kitchen work with oil rubbed bronze light fixtures?

What about the cabinet hardware, what finish should I do here?

Thanks everyone, and please give me more of your opinions.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lascatx,

I wanted to also thank you for posting the mosaic. It is very nice. I will show it to the decorating when she comes to see our selections.

Here is another photo of the dark back splashes and dark island sample wood taken with north light around 1:30. It may be clearer than the other photos before. It is dark. You will see the glossy one is much darker and more ambiguous as to the colour than the matte one.

Thanks,

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any more thoughts on the back splash? Any thoughts on the oil rubbed bronze light fixtures I posted? Please don't leave me all alone with these decisions LOL.

Carol

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I like the matte over the shiny, I like the light fixtures, but when you compare those to the ones lascatx suggested, they look naked, maybe do those, but doctor them up with some rope.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I love your dark cabinets with your hardwood floors. I think they look great together.

I and trying to visualize how the dark cabinets, medium floors, light countertops will look with the darker backsplash vs. the lighter backsplash.

I love the hammered vent. I also like oil rubbed bronze. The ones you posted are very nice. Are you going for a traditional look?

Is this. The look you are going for?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Light backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/needham-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~109770)

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I have to tell you that it was very hard finding an example on houzz with the colors you have picked with a darker backsplash. To me, that might be a sign that the experts are not doing it.

That doesn't mean that you can't do it.

This example is not all that close but it might help you visualize.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Darker backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mellor-road-renovation-addition-summerlandbc-canada-contemporary-kitchen-vancouver-phvw-vp~2048530)

This post was edited by Faux68 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 23:01

• Faux68
    10 years ago

This one might help you visualize even better.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Dark backsplash another look[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/w-street-kitchen-expansion-contemporary-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~2990511)

This post was edited by Faux68 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 23:05

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@detroit: Tjhanks for your input on the back splash. I also think the rope on the light fixtures is cool, although maybe not classic enough for me.

@Faux68 Thank you for your helpful comments and links. I think you are right the dark back splash is not doing it for me after seeing your links. I like the first kitchen you posted first.

Alll

Tonight I was reading lots on the Maria Killams blog who is a colour expert in Vancouver Canada. She is partial to light, classic subway tiles. I am going to go back and try to find a light subway tile that matches the white in the quartz (not too creamy or speckled like my first attempt though).

How about satin nickel (also called brushed nickel) for the pulls and knobs (maybe pulls for the drawers and knobs for the doors). This finish would match my stainless appliances. If tI use his colour for the hardware, can I still do oil rubbed bronze for the light fixtures, or not?

Thanks for your continued support.

Carol

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Carol, I also like lighter backsplashes. I love satin nickel for the hardware. I think the oil rubbed bronze would go but we will wait for the opinions of others as I am not sure. I know that many finishes are being mixed in today's world making interesting and pretty spaces. I love Faux68's picture with the light backsplash.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I do like your fixture selections too. If that is the bronze you were looking at, it is not as dark as what I was picturing. My island fixture was called bronze but looking at it, you would think it was black. If you look close enough you can find a few golden highlights. Yours has some of the warmth I was looking to wood to pick up without being harsh. There is still a softness that ties in with your silver and blue-grey. It will also tie in with your floors and island. It also looks like it would be great with that mosaic tile.

I do think you can mix your metals if you pay careful attention the lines and style. I have stainless appliances, pewter hardware on my white cabinets and black on my cherry island. Since your island will be a very different finish, you can use a different pull on those cabinets and bring in a finish similar to your lighting. Look at pewter for your white cabinet pulls, or especially if you want them all to be the same. Pewter finishes and the things done with them tend to look older and softer while your nickel can go more modern and slick. With your color palette and seeing those fixtures, I think I'd like the older, slightly more rustic feel of the pewter. The kind of comfortable you get with a favorite pair of jeans. Know what I mean?

I see what you were thinking with the tile, but it just doesn't work for me. I tend to like glossy finishes and white or lighter colors for a splash. I want them to reflect light rather than suck it up and let it die under my upper cabinets. I have seen a few dark splashes I like, but they tend to be rich color, the same as the counters and/or pretty contemporary from what I can remember. If you look at a white or light color ceramic or glass, you could use a liner in the other colors you are using or even a metallic liner so you have a bit of color and detail without doing a lot. That's similar to what I did.

As for that pony wall, make it the height you want it or need it to be for function and visual balance in the room. Don't worry too much about the tile size. The tile setter can figure out how to fade a cut tile into the top or bottom row and give it all a finished look.

• Faux68
    10 years ago

Have you considered clear glass for the lighting? I liked the look of the glass in the last picture (dark backsplash).

Not necessarily that shape--but that look.

I have clear glass in my kitchen it is great for lighting. But, after construction was finished I felt like I was dusting them every few days. That is much better now.

Did you like any of the pulls in the pictures? There were some that I liked a lot.

I think you have a really good start. When you have it just right you WILL know. Keep adjusting until you look at it and let out a deep breath and say "that's it".

This post was edited by Faux68 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 20:54

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lascatx and Faux68

I am sorry to take so long to thank you both for your helpful posts from late last night.and this evening. It has been a long work day I and just getting time to digest your good info now. I asked my DH who works part-time to go back to the tile store today and choose a plain subway tile that matches the white as exactly as possible from the counter top material (which also matches SW Pure White which we now feel is best for the perimeter cabinets). I am happy with that classic look. It looks lots like the first image Faux68 posted and it is quite glossy, but not glass like.

I love your ideas on the pulls. lascatx. I will look at the idea of pewter and having different pulls on the island vs white perimeter cabinets.

As per light fixtures, clear glass is definitely an option. I also like the opaque glass. Maybe I can have a few clear glass lights over each window and more directed lights via opaque shades on the pendant lights. I tend to be less fond of metal pendants for my space. I need to spend more time on the light fixtures and seek help from a decorator before buying any fixtures.

Thanks again!

Carol

• Faux68
    10 years ago

I can't wait to hear what your decorator says and see the space come together. I don't have any doubt that it will be fabulous!