Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellymamom

These are the Roman Shades I made

kellymamom
16 years ago

I don't post very often, but I thought I would post an update. I was having a hard time trying to figure out what type of window treatment to use on my living/dining room windows. I decided to make roman shades. Here are a couple of before and after pictures.

living room before...

{{gwi:1545994}}

Living room after...

{{!gwi}}

Dining room before...

{{gwi:1545996}}

Dining room after...

{{!gwi}}

Thank you to all the people who gave me advice!

Kelly

Comments (36)

• booboo60
    16 years ago

jeannema,
    Wow! That looks fantastic! Did you cover regular shades with fabric or how did you do it? It really adds warmth and detail to your room :)

• texashottie
    16 years ago

Wooow! Impressive! Share the details of where you got your hardware and what pattern did you go off of?

• mdoats
    16 years ago

Wow! That looks great. Very impressive.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Those are great. Can't wait to hear how you did it. Was their a pattern? What instructions did you follow? I know Sherrie of Room by Room made them all the time and she made it sound so simple. For her, it was. I'd love to have that talent, but I just don't have the patience. Would you consider making some for profit? I'll hire you in a second.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

You did a very professional job and the color and fabric you chose is perfect for your rooms. I would hire you also.

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

They are perfect for your windows and look very professional! It must give you a great feeling of satisfaction when you look at them and they really finish the rooms. Congrats!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Love the shades, but how did you shrink the rocking chair? ;-)

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Jeannema - beautiful work! Those are just perfect.

If you ever have the time to post instructions or some basics, I'd love to read it.

Just stunning!

• redbazel
    16 years ago

They look wonderful...........I hope you'll post a closeup!

Red

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

Fabulous!! i like the color as well. I'd like to see directions also, and if possible, a close up of the fabric.
    That was a lot of work, you should be proud.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Kelly, those look great. Nice job!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Very neat and very tailed. Very nice!

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Awesome job, you are very talented.

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

Nice work!!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Kelly,
    Those are gorgeous! I love them, and they look professional. You must feel great. Please, please share the pattern and steps you used to make them. I would love to make some for my boys' rooms, but have found myself intimidated by it all. I have looked into having them custom made, through an online company, but they are VERY expensive.

Thanks for sharing,

Jan

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

wow, wow, wow... very nice, can't waiti to hear more about how you made them.

• mry193
    16 years ago

Very Nice! You should be very proud of yourself, they really do look professionally made. I'm also hoping you will share all the details.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Great job, good sewing skills!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Perfect!!

Did you already know how to sew?

Smiles:)

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

I love them. Such a nice, clean look. You did an amazing job!

• sandra12
    16 years ago

Very nice! Wonderful job you did!!!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

LOL @ Sarschlos_remodeler!

Fantastic job, Jeannema! I'd love to know how to do that as well, although I don't know that I'd have the patience for it. You have a beautiful home!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Adding my appreciative voice to the chorus...and a question: how much prior sewing experience did you have before this magnum opus?

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful.

It appears that you have small children, yet you accomplished this. Amazing!

• no_green_thumb
    16 years ago

Amazing, aren't they? And I can see from the dining room that she has at least two little kiddos. Amazingly clean and beautiful home. I can't wait until she pops back in to #1 see all of her well-deserved compliments and #2 let us know how she did all of those. This is my current project as most of you already know. I think I finally found a JoAnn's with the fabric.
    Seeing these has really made me want to get started asap!!

• msjay
    16 years ago

Wow! Those are great! You did a wonderful job!

• kellymamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much!!!!! I'll try to explain what I did and hopefully it will make sense, since I didn't use a pattern or anything. First I watched this video to get an idea of how to make a roman shade.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_windows_shades_blinds/article/0,,HGTV_3543_1939431,00.html

I pretty much followed the direction in the video for how to measure and sew the shade, but I didn't make it scalloped and I didn't sew the seams on the back. Instead I sewed little plastic rings and the front is completely flat with no seams. When I finished the shade I mounted it to a board as described in the video.

This is what they look like down...
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Close up of shade (sorry it's so dark)...
    {{!gwi}}

Close up of the fabric (with sun shining through, looks more solid on cloudy days)
    {{!gwi}}

Back side of shade...
    {{!gwi}}

I also made a hem at the bottom of the shade and inserted a wooden dowel. Overall they were very easy to make. The most time consuming step was sewing all the little plastic rings in the back. I hope I did a decent job explaining how I made them. If anyone has any specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

Kelly

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a Roman Shade

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

They are gorgeous and look very professional. I think I may give it a try for my kitchen and dining room window.

Can you share how long it look to make one - just out of curiosity?

Thanks. Great job.

• kellymamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

debi 2006,

I would guess that it took me about 2 hours per shade.

Kelly

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Those are fabulous!

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Kelly, thank you for sharing and for posting the "how-to".

Amazing!

I have several windows to cover and those would be perfect.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Excellent work!!!! All of you who have been showing your DIY window treatments are giving me the courage to give it a try soon.

• clubcracker
    16 years ago

Those are fabulous! Great job!!!

Mary

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Fabulous!!! Really, really, really impressive.

Kelly: You live in MA, right? Any chance you'd want to make some for my house???

• kellymamom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

organic smallhome,

Thanks for the compliment!! IÂm sorry, but I just donÂt have the extra time right now, but thanks so much for asking!!! Maybe once my kids are older, IÂll start making shades for people, but right now they are keeping me really busy. Plus, we completely renovated the inside of our home and this spring weÂre going to start on the exterior of the house and yard. We have a lot of work to do and IÂm going to be one busy girl. Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words. I really appreciate it!

Kelly

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Kelly: You're so sweet! I was really just kidding--I already have window coverings. BUT-- if you ever do decide to start a cottage industry in making custom shades, let me know! Seriously, they are really beautiful.