Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellilou3

What are your favorite exterior colors?

*I also posted this in the paint forum but thought I might get some great input from you fabulous design folks!

My husband and I are in the process of building a house, and the exterior will primarily be hardiplank and stone. I'll attach a rendering of it from the house plan. We like the colors on the plan, but our future neighbor's house is painted in pretty much those same colors, so we'd like something different.

Right now, we're leaning towards a grayish taupe with charcoal shutters; sage green with darker green, black or dark brown shutters; or a grayish blue with charcoal shutters. We can't really make a decision until we've picked out the stone but are just kicking around ideas. Also, there are lots of trees and greenery on the lot, and it faces NW, if that matters.

Are there any exterior colors that you just love and have to share? Pictures would be awesome! Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• niecieb
    15 years ago

I think the grayish taupe with charcoal shutters would be very pretty, of course it would depend a lot on your stone. I also like the sage green/black shutter combination. I love your house! Do you mind sharing your floor plan?

• bestyears
    15 years ago

BM Briarwood is a beautiful grayish taupe used on exteriors a lot.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

We painted our house a deep olive and have black shutters/front door and black porch lights. Our trim is painted bright white. We have had more compliments on our house since doing that!

We love it!

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions! I looked up Briarwood and really like it. Niecieb, I don't mind sharing at all!

Long Meadow Plan

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

First off, your house is lovely and any of the above colors would look gorgeous. But, what would you think of having the house painted pink with black shutters?

Secretly, I have always wanted a pink house. How about this color of Pink? Granted the house pictured is an historical house and quite different from yours. But the color is simply beautiful, don't you think? It's just a thought and I know it is not for everyone. I have no idea what the name of the pink color is but it wouldn't be hard to find out if you were so inclined.

....Jane

{{!gwi}}

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I like a taupe or beige with dark green or black shutters. About the only thing I rarely like in exterior house colors is blue. There's just something about a blue house that bothers me. I've seen a few exceptions but not many and I know that's just my own personal thing, don't mean to offend anyone! I like pulling colors from the nature surrounding the house so that is doesn't stand out.

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

We used SW "Analytical Gray" for our siding and then made our shutters the next color down on the paint strip. I actually love the shutter color the best and wish we would've used that for our siding!

Forgive the halloween decor...it was the first good exterior picture I found!

• trk65
    15 years ago

Here is another possibility-
    A darker taupe with dark brown shutters and off white trim could look really nice against the right stone color.
    We bought our home as a completed new construction "spec" and had no say in colors, but we have grown to really like the colors they chose-
    SW Dry Dock (body of house)
    SW Well Bred Brown (shutters)
    SW China Doll (Trim)
    A darker color might work well because there really isn't all that much of the main color in your elevation-most of what I see is stone and trim.
    I'll post a pic when I can.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

White/cream. I'm such a white person (not furniture though!), because it gives off such a warm feeling.

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So what if the windows are white, but the trim is off white? Doesn't that look odd?

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

Our trim is painted SW Rice Grain. It a nice cream color.

Here is a link that might be useful: My House

• User
    15 years ago

Our house is Hardiboard Mountain Sage with Hardi Sailcloth trim and Eagle Cinnamon Toast windows. After choosing the colors, I had a slight panic thinking it would scream "Merry Freaking Christmas" 365 days a year, but it doesn't, and I'm glad we went with a dark color and high contrast with the windows and trim, it really sets off the details of the house.

sandyponder

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I chose desert wind siding trimmed in shell white. Shutters are a very dark green. I like it but I wish I'd chosen a little darker for the siding so there would be more contrast with the trim.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Mine is a cream color. I like it because you can change the shutters and trim to any number of colors, and thereby change the look. It's the same color my last house was too. I've never gotten tired of it. But if I did change the color I'd go for a good blue with white trim.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Love your picture! I think those colors work beautifully together. Mine is a custom mix of Kilm Beige & Divine white on the siding - 50% of each color - SW. The shutters & door are a really dark dark green called midnight green. Brick is Vermillion which is a more reddish than it is showing up in the pic. Good luck with your selection & keep us posted! Bonnie

• goldengirl327
    15 years ago

We painted the same deep olive/black /white combo as downsy about 9 years ago and we also get MANY compliments. We have had people sit in front of our house with paint fans trying to match the color and painting contractors have appeared at our front door pleading with us to tell them the color because clients had become relentless in the pursuit of the color. These events have happened on more than one occasion so I guess it really is a great combo! Good luck!

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Our old house was painted briarwood and I loved it.

We are also building a new house and have picked hardiplank timberbark with bucks county stone. Our home will also have white trim and a large front porch. I think the contrast is pretty especially since we have a lot of trees as well.

• declansmom
    15 years ago

kellilou.....My home is painted BM Revere Pewter with white trim and black shutters. I have a huge stone fireplace in the front, which might be similar to the stone colors on your house (which by the way is magnificent.)
    I would hold some colors up to the stone and pick one of the colors from that.
    {{!gwi}}

• wearybuilder
    15 years ago

Ours is a "traditional" look---white siding, black shutters, and old louisville (red family) brick, with stone accents on the corners.

It's a newly built house, with a classic look. We love it!

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sprice, thanks for sharing. Your house is very similar to mine. Let me ask you about the stucco covering your foundation. The back corner of our house will be tall like the garage side of your house. They're telling us we can paint over it when we decide on a color to paint the hardiplank. Why did you make the stucco a different color from your house? I think it looks just fine that way but am just wondering if you've thought of something that I haven't. Opinions?

Also, is your porch concrete or flagstone? We're trying to decide what to do with ours--aggregate or concrete (maybe stained?), or stone. Thanks!

• sprice5105
    15 years ago

Hi Kelliou,

Your house is going to be so pretty, I love the picture you posted.

We actually had planned to stone the entire foundation but that plan changed when we found out how much over budget it would be. Plus, I figured in a few years all of our foundation landscaping would cover that expensive stonework up. The stucco is just the buff colored mortar. We liked the way the color blended with the stone so much it really didn't occur to us to paint it to match the siding. Also, the stucco on our last house was painted and was starting to peel and fade so we won't have that problem just leaving the buff color.

Our steps are flagstone but our porch is concrete. It really looks fine and saved a good bit of money there too.

Good luck picking your exterior color. It think I went through 3 quarts of test paint and had those formulas changed several times before I settled on the "perfect" green.

• elena07
    15 years ago

Here are some photos that have some pretty color combinations. By the way none of these houses belong to me they are just inspiration photos.
    Good Luck,
    Elena

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Elena, great minds think alike! I had already saved the last picture in my files. Thanks!

And, Sprice, thanks again. Hope you aren't offended if we copy you a little bit. It's nice to find someone who built something so similar to ours...helps in being able to picture everything.

• SMF77
    12 years ago

Sprice5105, if you are still around, could you tell me what the brand and color of the stone your stone is? We love it!!