Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

DIY Chandelier - mlweaving_marji

maggiepie11
10 years ago

a while back i was soliciting help for my master bathroom in general, and then specifically i was looking for ideas for a chandelier to be centered in front of our clawfoot tub.

i'm a total DIY-er, so when mlweaving_marji suggested a DIY project, i wasn't very phased by it and it seemed an obvious choice.

that said, this project sucked! if you don't have anything else going on and can just enjoy and take your time, by all means, give it a go. but if you're busy and have any sort of time crunch to get it done, this isn't a good DIY project in my opinion!

anyway, i do like how it turned out and wanted to share.

the first inspiration photo was the marjouri skouras chandelier that retails for $6900!

There's a similar one from Curry & Co that retails for around $4000.

This was my final light purchase after already going WAY over budget on the rest of the house. So, neither of those were in the budget, and the colors weren't quite right for my palette either.

Also, as much as I love the look of the light source hidden behind the beads, I found this beautiful fixture in action and decided the shadows this type of light casts is not good for a master bathroom. I'd have polka dot makeup!

{{!gwi}}

So instead I bought this light from Ballard:

It was $250 but I had a coupon, and then I bought about $50 of beads in bulk. The particular beads I bought were sealed and didn't take paint well, but two coats of chalk paint did the trick. I also faux painted the dark bronze finish to make it look like galvanized metal to tie in with my vanity fixtures.

Stringing them was a disaster that resulted in starting over again after getting halfway done. If you want all the specifics of my misery, I'm linking to my blog below.

Otherwise I'll just share some photos. The photo isn't doing it any justice, but we were in a hurry to get it put away. I'm really happy with the outcome so thanks for the encouragement to tackle this one!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog - A Nugget and a Doodle

Comments (21)

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Beautiful job. I was wondering if you had seen this in blogland. Smaller scale, but pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Life on virginia street

• Laurie
    10 years ago

You are such a fantastic DIYer! It's very pretty and I would love to see it hanging & lit.
    Please share a picture of it in your master bath after installed.

I like reading & seeing photos about your projects. What's on your list to work on, next?

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks ladies!

RBS - i hadn't seen that one, but there is a lot of great inspiration out there for sure!

laurie, i'll definitely post pics when our house is done!

i have more projects in my queue than i can even keep track of. :) tonight i painted my vanity counter stool the mint green accent of the bathroom though i went a shade darker than the chandelier.

next up i have 2 vintage office chairs to reupholster for the peacock office. they're going to be apple green leather with white frames. they've already been stripped and painted, and i've made the bias strips, the double welt, and cut all the fabric pieces and batting pieces. so literally, for one of the chairs i just have to put it back together. the second chair is stripped and painted, but i haven't made the piping yet nor cut the fabric.

i've got a feature headboard wall that i can't assemble until we get our occupancy certificate, but we have removed all the boards from about 10 pallets. they need to be sanded and some stained, some painted. i'll have to stop there to wait until we can get in the house.

i'm making a headboard for my son's room - haven't decided if it will be wood or upholstery. once i find a nightstand or two for him i'll probably have to paint those as well.

i just ordered two nightstands online that will get painted for our master bedroom. haven't really found the final piece of furniture we'll use for a tv stand/pillow storage, but i'll likely be altering that in some way.

the two nightstands we're currently using will move to the guest bedroom and get painted.

i haven't bought it yet, but i'll be painting a semi-rustic tv stand to add some color to our very neutral living area.

i'll need to make window treatments for the 8' kitchen window, and above that window i want to make another sign.

i ordered two bergerie chairs for our living room in custom fabric, and i'm SOOOO relieved i can take those 2 big reupholstery projects off the list! we're thinking we'll be able to move in by late march or early april so time is running out for anything i want finished before the move!

• romy718
    10 years ago

All that & you still have time to share on GW. Super Woman, for sure. Your light fixture looks great. I loved the armoire you painted for the peacock office.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nice job! I'll look forward to seeing your other projects....I just love to see DIY stuff.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Please keep sharing your projects with us! You are an industrious person.
    Apple green leather...that sounds intriguing. From all of your posts, I notice you have a quality for combining colors that work well together.
    I admire your talents.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

didn't want to start a new thread, but here's the finished apple green leather office chair. :)

and here's all my refinished pieces for the office altogether with a navy blue paint swatch for the walls!

the only colors/textures missing are the eggplant velvet curtains and the hardwood floors and my peacock office will have taken shape!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

The apple green office chair is stunning! I love it.

Was that leather more difficult to work with compared to the blue sofa fabric? Where did you purchase the leather & is it a synthetic leather?

Your vision is coming together : ) Thank you for this update!

Laurie

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laurie!

I still have to do hubby's chair in that leather. Im sure It is synthetic based on the price. It was only $17/yard though it sure feels like the real deal.

Sewing the bias strips and the piping and double welt is harder with the leather but I found it VERY easy to work with in the chair itself. Probably not a fair comparison because of the challenge posed by the shape and size of the fabric piece on a sofa v. A single chair.

Not sure if I'll get started on the second chair right away or if I'll paint the two nightstand s that should be arriving tomorrow. I like to switch between painting and fabric projects. :)

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laurie!

I still have to do hubby's chair in that leather. Im sure It is synthetic based on the price. It was only $17/yard though it sure feels like the real deal.

Sewing the bias strips and the piping and double welt is harder with the leather but I found it VERY easy to work with in the chair itself. Probably not a fair comparison because of the challenge posed by the shape and size of the fabric piece on a sofa v. A single chair.

Not sure if I'll get started on the second chair right away or if I'll paint the two nightstand s that should be arriving tomorrow. I like to switch between painting and fabric projects. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

That looks really hard to do! I love the color of yours, nice work!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Where did you purchase the leather?
    I know what you mean about switching projects. It's nice to have a break : )

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Great job.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the leather came from The Fabric Yard in Carrollton, TX. they don't have an online store - it's locals only.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

I saw this light online at Cost Plus World Market and thought of this thread! I hope this doesn't offend you - your work is beautiful! This is for the less crafty people like me. :)

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

rebecca that's so funny. you should check out my blog where i detailed more of the process. that exact world market light is what i INTENDED to buy but kept running into irritating hurdles when i'd go to check out. it was just the universe helping me to my destined path because just as i was about to buy it with the intent of painting the beads, i found the pic in my original post and figured having the lightbulbs on the inside of the beads would create shadows counterproductive to getting ready in the bathroom. :)

believe me, no offense taken. i wish i had found a light in the right shape and size that was already beaded that i could just paint!!

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Haha, that is funny! It sounds like your creation suited your needs better, plus you now have bragging rights. :)

• Laurie
    10 years ago

maggiepie- Thanks for your leather source.
    Some day, I would like to re-upholster an ottoman using leather.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

MaggiePie, thanks for sharing your process and results. I love the end product, sorry it's been such a PITA journey getting there.
    Great job though!

question: in your researching sources, have you come across a source for handfuls of sea glass chips? I bought an inexpensive sea glass small chandy-pendant for our powder room, but it needs some augmenting. The glass chips are so thin that I don't think I can break a bottle and tumble the glass and have it work.

• maggiepie11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh glad you saw your shout out marji! :)

the only place that comes to mind is save-on-crafts and i'll caveat that i haven't purchased from them in probably 5 years or so. they do a lot of wedding-related crafts and if i remember correctly they offered a wide variety of sea glass for DIY centerpieces. i only bought some manzanita branches from them, so i can't vouch for the glass but the branches were great and packaged well.

Here is a link that might be useful: check this site for sea glass

• Indigo2017 Blue
    6 years ago

beautiful! can you pls share where you purchased the beads?

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21