Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonorandaisy

Bringing brown to life

sonorandaisy
11 years ago

I would appreciate any suggestions to help me improve the family room. I'm in the process of changing over from a modified country-prim look, to a more updated space. The sofa, chair and ottoman are fairly new. The carpeting is a medium creamy brown fleck freize. The current wall color is Laura Ashley Sand 5. (It photographs as a green, but is more of a kahki taupe-y brown. In the wrong light, it almost looks like peanut butter.) I added the red area rug and striped toss pillows thinking that they would pull the space together, but, its still "blah".
I don't know whether it just needs the right paint color or maybe accessories in a different accent color (orange tone?)
Which way to turn? The opposite wall in this small family room has a large media wall in the same finish as the side table in the picture (honey pine). Please help!

Comments (40)

• laydeebug72
    11 years ago

This room screams for the safari touch ( if you like that look). My den has several shades of brown all pulled together with giraffe and tan and brown zebra pillows and a cheetah rug. Add a few animal pieces and I added a few pieces with burnt orange to add a little warmth and character to the space. I love it and get tons of compliments!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I like neutrals. I think a bigger picture with more color over the sofa. A rug with with the new accent color.
    If you are open to a new rug, then you an get one with the orange tones that you are thinking about. Two more pillows with the accent color and maybe a throw over the chair.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Try bringing in more of the red and another accent color. Green? Gold?

Forgot to add, try pulling the rug out from the sofa so you can see more of it. Right now, the coffee table takes up much of it. It doesn't have to be right up against the sofa.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 23:12

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Can you show more of the room in photos? Probably getting the paint color right, and adding artwork, would help the most. Small suggestion, but I would move pine table to other side of the sofa, and get a low, round, glass top table for between the sofa and chair.

The area rug seems too small -- adding two feet all around would probably help. Or you could layer smaller rugs on top of each other for a bohemian look. Hard to know without more images, but perhaps beefing up the window trim and baseboards would help too.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Rug too small. Picture is for another era. I would get another table, maybe 2 more tables or paint this one and buy a glass one for the other end, paint the walls, get a huge picture, not a tiny one. Add animal print pillow or 2 and add some red touches here and there. Your room needs a blood transfusion. Don't do purple or blue red. Do flaming Mamie red. "I wanna be evil, I wanna shoot pool..." (that kind of red).

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Obviously not your room, but maybe for inspiration: more white, some black, some red, some metal, some glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz link[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/living-room-contemporary-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~66469)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Good suggestion for bringing some white in. Could you do some cream colored panels on the windows? It would add some light and bright.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I too think a creamy white would add the much needed light, a larger lamp with a creamy shade and then some perky toss pillows like in the picture below. I think your art work is too small and not right for this room. Look for something with lighter tones and much wider. More pictures would help. Here's a photo of how to perk up a room with accessories.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    11 years ago

No need to replace your picture because of it's size. You can put wall brackets on each side of the picture with something sitting on them, or add wall candles to fill out the space behind the sofa.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

If you are moving away from the country look, then move the pictures and the side table to another room. The space above the sofa could use a much larger picture. Two tables in a dark metal might be nice.

An animal print fabric would work well, as laydeebug72 suggested. Do you need an area rug? If so, a larger one seems more appropriate.

And more lamps - two table lamps and a torchiere would be a good start.

• User
    11 years ago

Replace the picture to something larger and less country. Move ottoman to a different area, perhaps as extra seating in this room or at the foot of a bed in a bedroom? It is too big and bulky and completely overpowers your sofa. Get something lighter in feel that allows you to see the rug underneath. Straighten out the end table and stain or paint it. Ditto with the wall unit. If you want to change the "country prim" attitude of the room you need to change the honey pine color of the major furniture, IMO. Please don't misunderstand, I don't dislike the color or the wood type at all, it's just that the combination you have assembled needs a change in one of the major elements to change the feel. I love your description of "country prim," btw, it is brilliant :-)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think I'd consider painting the room a gorgeous, complex sky blue, and adding ivory curtain panels.

Ovefr the sofa, I'd put one very large or a group of four medium-sized black-and-white photographs of things that mean something to you, with generous barely ivory mats, and framed in thin black or burnt bamboo frames.

I'd add a couple of pillows in modern graphic prints - Marimekko, for instance - paired with a couple more in stripes in the same colors.

Then I'd add bigger end tables (two of them), and a pair of good-sized lamps with some presence. Depending on your taste, something like a pair of one of these?

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

It's a pleasant room, but you're ready for a change. While I would prefer a much lighter wall color, the three elements that I would definitely change to provide a "more updated space" are the two prints which scream country and the gourd lamp. The lamp could work with a MCMish vibe, but that's not what you have. But I would change the prints before the lamp as they really are the country elements.

How much walkway do you have between the entertainment unit and the rug? Ideally, I'd pull the sofa around 12" from the wall, but work with the space you have and bring it at least 6" forward. Since you already have the rug which works with your sofa and pillow colors and didn't mention being able to return it, allow for some space between the rug and the sofa. Try adding some breathing room between the end table by angling the table into the corner between the seating pieces.

Look at the flat impact the rust print has over the sofa vs the color in the other one. I'd be inclined to try a pop of blue in the turquoise family with a round shape on top of one of the sofa pillows and repeat the color in a complementary print on the chair. If you want to bring some more sophistication to your room, look for art that has more impact. I can see two stacked prints over the chair and a much larger print over the sofa OR a series over the sofa and one over the chair. You can also lower your sofa art by a few inches so it doesn't float, and with the sofa pulled away from the wall you won't have to worry about heads. Unless those are battery operated candles, they aren't safe like that and the tones aren't adding life. Perhaps you can come up with a different vignette accessorizing the tray.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I agree with Bronwyn and Abundant. I'd love to see some blue or turquoise as an accent color. If that would work with your rug. The pictures definitely need to go - they are COUNTRY. The end table could be updated too and as suggested, the lamp. I love the turquoise lamp Bronwyn posted!

tina

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

I too thought Bronwyn presented you with a great selection of lamps though the elephant is a bit kitschy for me and the gourd is too similar to what you already have. If you like the idea of picking up turquoise as the accent then I'd think about walls in PP Manor Hall's Atrium White or some white with a bit of depth. I prefer PP's Atrium White to almost every white in the house I'm currently living though in other houses BM's Linen White, Donald Kaufman's whites and F & B Pointing have worked beautifully. It is extremely difficult to recommend paint colors without seeing the space as light quality varies regionally and even house to house on the same street. You may prefer to keep your walls in the current color and try new accessorizing before going through the expense of repainting.

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

I was thinking a muted aqua on the walls, similar to pp. I painted my kitchen with sw sea salt, which I love (as well as rainwashed...it was a hard pick).

We recently installed hardwood floors, and our room is a little too brown now since I have beige walls (we did have blue carpet). I am planning on bringing in some aqua and white to refresh it. I really liked how the photo in the link used different textures to make neutrals interesting.

http://cptnrin.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZWWHr9S/0/O/i-ZWWHr9S.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

noellabelle, that's a great inspiration photo as it shows OP how much vitality can be brought into her room through the addition of texture, print and colors while using her existing furniture.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Here are some pics with similar sofa color using color to bring some life to the room; there are many more on Houzz. I just searched for brown sofa:

[Contemporary Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by San Francisco Interior Designer Present Moment Designs

[Contemporary Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by New York Interior Designer Drew McGukin Interiors

[Contemporary Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Vancouver Interior Designer Maria Killam

[Contemporary Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Burlington Architect Smith & Vansant Architects PC

[Traditional Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Denver Interior Designer Duet Design Group

This sofa is a bit lighter, but shows how blue walls could look. Not sure this is what Brownwynsmom was thinking

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Does your room share a space with another room? In other words, where will the paint "stop".

If it is it's own space - what do the adjoining spaces look like? (answers to these questions would determine if I would paint or not....)

If you decide NOT to paint, switch out the rug, pillows, lamp and wall decor.

I love the lamp suggestions above.

You can easily update this space and make it a more transitional style.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

I don't usually spend as much time on GW as I have over the past few days, but I must compliment all of you who actually post photos to help others visualize and those who really present alternatives to the OP with such a generous spirit. You rock!

• Janice742
    11 years ago

You have really great pieces to work with. Furniture looks super comfy. Your frieze rug already has a "modern" feel - so I would work with that.

I also love Bronwynsmom's suggestions for wall art -- black and white framed photos over larger sofa. Yes!!!

I've got to tell you, I was in Target yesterday and they have some AWESOME lamps, pillows and accessories. I was so surprised! See this pillow below: I'll post a couple more photos

I've included another resource for rugs...

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Interesting so many see light blue/aqua, which I can't see at all! lol. It seems you like earthy colors. I can see a dark teal as an accent to flow with that. Lightening up your wall color might be a good move if you're up to it. It does look like you need more lighting which would bring your colors alive more.

• sonorandaisy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, my goodness! Thanks to everyone for the comments, links and thoughtful suggestions. You guy are just great! I have to re-read every post and really think this out. Its so amazing how others can see issues that have been staring me in the face, yet I failed to recognize. When we bought the new sofa/chair, we were getting rid of an old recliner sofa, so the ottoman was compromise for hubby. I was convinced that I could straddle two design styles and make this work, but see I'm facing lots of change and some new furniture to properly pull this off. While I still lean traditional, I guess I'd rather be transitional in style. I have had years of country cute- which I somehow still sort of like- but in someone else's home maybe! LOL.

We have a very small home- and the family room is is called a "great room" which it isn't!! One issue is, the center of the room is a traffic path- there are french doors which eat up floor space and limit furniture arrangement options. The carpeted area is about 18.5 X 14. That's it!
    Window coverings are plantation shutters.

I am posting a photo which shows the (huge!)media wall unit just opposite the seating. Again, wall color looks very much like a green, but isn't.
    Thanks again! This is such a help.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Noelle - do you know the source of your inspiration pic? I'd love to be able to see the pillows in the back better. I have a neutral great room in which I'm wanting to pull in some turquoise. I already have some red in the room. Would love to figure out what that fabric is! Thanks!!

tina

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

I think minus the country'ish pictures and paiting over the stenciled design in that doorway you have a neutral pallete to start with even without repainting...

I say take down all those country pictures and start playing with accent colors. Bring home some art/pictures you like and prop it up on the couch and see how you like it. You can always return what you don't like.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I'm really liking the bedroom colors! Maybe reverse with white walls and red accents. If you bring in some contemporary items like glasstop table, etc. I think you could still use some country accents such as old portraits of people or animals, etc.

• luckygal
    11 years ago

The good thing about your room is that the major pieces are both neutral in color as well as style so they will fit with most decor styles you want to do. Also your wall color is neutral so you don't have to repaint unless you want to. IMO you have a good start on a color scheme and there are many accent colors that will work with the brown and green-ish tones.

To make choosing accent colors easier you might take several items from your closet and wrap them around throw pillows on your sofa to see how the color looks. For example, wrap a red sweater around a pillow. Or you could use tablecloths or any colored fabrics you happen to have.

You could also do a color board but that requires either computer skills or a lot of little sample pics.

Choosing a print with some brown tones as well as other colors is also a good way to find accent colors. Print fabrics are designed by color experts so it's an easy way to choose colors that work together. I think your rug and pillow choices are a bit monochromatic but perhaps you want a quiet color scheme. Look at lots of pictures to decide what you are comfortable with and would like to see in your home.

Texture is also a good way to bring more interest to your room.

I don't think it will take too much or necessarily cost a lot to bring your room to life.

This post was edited by luckygal on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 16:03

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I think the yellow wall color does not complement the media unit wood color or the sofa, though caveat is that I am not at all a fan of yellow. But everything looks too much the same washed out tone.

I would paint the room a warm white (like BM Mascarpone) and then use some accent colors like terra cotta, reds (pick out some colors from the rug perhaps), and cream.

The sofa is good, it will provide a good foundation for what you want to do, I think. The media unit could be gel stained darker or even painted, if you feel daring!

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

tinam, it was on the house of turquoise, which is my favorite color....that website is so yummy!

Here is a link that might be useful: house of turquoise

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I don't think you need to repaint.

I looked at the Laura Ashley color on their website and it does read "peanut butter" -- it's not as light as it looks in your photos.

Based on your room dimensions, here is what I think....

* Larger rug to anchor the seating -- 9x12

* Change out all of the country themed wall art

* Paint over the stencil over the doorway

I'm still loving the aqua tones with your room...

[Traditional Family Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by San Francisco Interior Designer Brian Dittmar Design, Inc.

This is more neutral

[Eclectic Living Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2104) by San Francisco Interior Designer Fiorella Design

And for all those who are leaning toward the red - here's a way to mix aqua tones and red tones:

[Eclectic Family Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2104) by Dallas Interior Designer Astleford Interiors, Inc.

I'm so excited for your room! We just did a family room makeover -- Kept our furniture, but added pillows, rug & accessories. It's amazing what a pop of color can do!

You have a small shelf space in your TV unit too, so pick up some colorful accents to tie in whatever pillows your decide on.

Do you have a HomeGoods nearby? I was in there recently, and by the looks of your space, you can pretty much get what you need between there and Target. If you don't mind shopping and returning, just go in there and bring a bunch of different color combos home. You'll know it when you see it.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

OK... I have to stop obsessing over your room... but I was looking at Ballard Designs and they have some really pretty accessories if you wanted to stay more neutral.

Do you like that "french" look? You know, the burlapy look with the french writing? You could always toss some of those pillows in there. If you go that route, they also have some nice mirrors on sale that you can place above your couch. They are the "garden district" mirror.

Anyway, here are some pillows that they have:

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

A larger rug will work fine so long as there is no corner of it in front of a doorway, and no edge bleeding into the natural path.

People don't have any trouble stepping on and off the sides of a rug while moving through a space, but it throws off the scheme and confuses the walker to have to walk half on and half off the rug, or to choose to shift off the middle of the natural path to walk either on or off it.

I'm not a fan of white walls with brown furniture in traditionally scaled rooms. I think it makes enlivening the scheme and balancing the colors much harder, and looks too much like an apartment, unless there is major architectural drama in the space.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I like the paint color, it warms the room. Below is an inspiration group of rooms with brown sofas. To make it easier on you, find an inspiration piece of art and work off the colors for your pillows, check the pictures and you'll see what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: inspiration

• geokid
    11 years ago

yayagal, I think it's funny that the room with the bright green walls you posted has essentially the same shaped lamp as the OP. It just has a drum shade instead of a tapered shade. That change instantly updates it.

• peegee
    11 years ago

One point for your consideration; it is not enough to know which road you don't want to take, but where you want to go. You have expressed a clear desire of what you don't/no longer want, but I have not heard your vision of how you want your room to *feel* That will drive the direction of all future choices-on whether or not they support your vision. Serene and calming? Elegant/sophisticated? Energized? Etc.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

My first thought was also to change the wall color to a blue, not sure which blue but something like a BM Quiet Moments. And yes, new larger art for over the sofa. I like Bron's idea about the end tables, too.

I personally am not a fan of rugs over carpet. I'd eliminate the rug.

Then a few throw pillows in prints that combine the browns and the blue, and maybe a couple of red accents to reflect the red that I see in the bedroom. Even just some bright reds in the artwork -- like the first pic Oly posted.

If you don't want to paint, you could still incorporate some of these ideas to bring some more lively colors into the room and make a big difference!

• msrose
    11 years ago

hollyp - My room started out similar to yours..all brown. I couldn't decide on an accent color at first, so I added lots of white/cream. It took me a long time to find a picture I liked for behind the sofa, but once I did, I had my accent color. I think you could do the same in your room with red as your accent. It's so hard to find a large picture you like so I'd start there. BTW, my room is even smaller than yours :)

• sonorandaisy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so enjoying reading all your posts and seeing inspiration pictures.
    msrose- Nice to know I'm not only one who wanted to work out of a "brown hole" LOL. Thanks for sharing. Cute dog, too.
    peegee- your post is right on. I do need to get a firm grasp on where I want to end up. Impulsive decisions is how I got into the brown mire! bronwynsmom- I fully agree about the rug placement issues. Janice- I will check out Ballard Designs.
    I could go on and on. I did go to HomeGoods and Lamps Plus to check out their offerings. No decisions yet, but I'm going to "get'er done!" Thank you to all the posters!

• baileyandbella
    11 years ago

I think bring in some white/cream and dark brown/black will give the room some impact, as well as plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: room

• baileyandbella
    11 years ago

This is a good article on how to add character, on a budget.

Also, I would go to Pinterest and type living room in the search. Then see what you are drawn to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article