Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

overdyed Oriental rugs

bbstx
10 years ago

Could someone explain to me "overdyed oriental rugs," please? What is the point? Is it a way to sell rugs that are in such bad shape no one would purchase them? The first time I saw a photo of one, I thought "wow, that picture was taken in terrible light!"
Am I, once more, horribly behind the times?

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images of overdyed Oriental rugs

Comments (11)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I think it's for those rugs that are not currently fashionable colors, badly faded rugs and stained rugs.

Some look ok, others look like a bad trip theough Haight-Ashbury

• peony4
    10 years ago

It's a look of saturated color. It can be applied to both a rare vintage rug, or replicated in a manufactured rug. The latter, obviously, being more economical.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I think it was a way to sell rugs to people who didn't want "their parents'" rugs. My parents never had any anyway so I didn't need to rebel. I first saw them maybe 5 yrs ago at ABC Carpet - not sure who "invented" them.

I confess I like them. Not sure I'd buy one though. Maybe if I had a NYC loft.

There is a guy on Etsy who does them, custom, for a lot less than ABC. Of course that's not saying much!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtnredux, I wondered if "not my parents' rug" was the impetus behind them. My problem is the opposite. My daughter has cleaned me out of my rugs! If they aren't in current use, she thinks they are fair game. (I don't mind. I'd rather she use them than have them languishing in storage.)

lg, loved the "bad trip" comment! They do look a little hippy-dippy to me.

peony, it would break my heart to see overdying done to a rare vintage rug.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Please note that, while a popular segment of this trend may be the "not my parents' rug" syndrome, there is a significant corner of the overdyed rugs market that purports to take one-of-a-kind, vintage rugs whose craftsmanship is remarkable, but whose appearance hasn't perhaps stood the test of time, and dyes them back to visual life. This isn't a shame at all! Some of them are really quite lovely. And not all of them are hot pink or lime green (although these have their place, too, in design). It's just like how we might find a refinished antique table or reupholstered vintage sofa. Like anything, you need to be aware of the manufacturer's claim of "overdye" and what, exactly, they're "overdye-ing."

• User
    10 years ago

I don't care for the look at all, as it seems garish in most of the photos I've seen. But I've no doubt even that would be an improvement over the color schemes of many oriental rugs I've seen. IMO the biggest problem with anything handmade like rugs or quilts is that while a craftsperson may have exceptional skill he or she often either just uses what fabrics or colors are available without the slightest view to producing a pleasing and harmonious rug or quilt. In fact, I think most quilts are actually ugly, simply because the components were not chosen with any eye for color or pattern. And I have worn out my arms searching through stacks of oriental rugs looking at the most awful color combinations, wishing that somehow the word could make it back to the weavers that their color choices are poor.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

It reminds me of the time my father 'antiqued' the maghogany bedroom furniture. I think it was called Cinnamin' .
    Some of the gently colored rugs aren't too bad. But the neon ones are too visually striking for me.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I've figured out how I might use one.

We have "antique" orientals and have downsized house. Certain rugs work in some rooms but I need something for, say, the dining room.

I don't want to invest in orientals any more, but I want a feeling of continuity around the house. Moreover, I'd really like a large square or a round rug.

I could get a patchwork oriental on Etsy in whatever size I like, and have it in the turquoise I crave.

A brand new modern rug, or a pile rug, would feel more out of place in the rest of the house than an overdyed oriental. I think the overdyed could actually work.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jamies, are you intending to buy the rug already overdyed, or are you intending to send it out to be overdyed? I've read several articles on DIY overdying. It isn't for the amateur or the faint of heart, was my take-away.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

The only reason I'd be getting any rug is that I want a large square -- not a size that I have or that is generally available in an old oriental. So I'd be buying a patchworked one, made by an Etsy person out of somebody else's old worn out rugs sewn together and then overdyed.

But don't hold me to it!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just looked on etsy. That's the first time I've seen an overdyed oriental patchwork. Post pics if you go through with it!