Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to talk through colors for my family room

Posted by three3apples (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 21:28

Here is the situation: I want to purchase two Hancock and Moore Chippendale sofas soon before the sale price goes away. I'm having a heck of a time making a decision on fabric vs. leather and cranberry vs. some sort of green. The room is enormous and this will not be the only seating in the room, but it's what I'm starting with. The walls are FB Shaded White. The room gets a lot of natural light. All trim is BM China White and floors are red oak stained medium dark. I want my color palette to be cranberry, light blueish/state-ish, pale pink, and light green. The surrounding rooms are the kitchen (entirely in FB Light Blue), view to the keeping room (all walls and trim in FB Calke Green, navy leather recliner and Poppy/Rust velvet settee, patterned drapes), foyer and hallway (FB Hardwick White walls). You can see half the keeping room from part of the family room. You can see less than half the family room from the foyer. I am not interested in anything that isn't plausibly historic in terms of colors and, luckily, I like a lot of the jewel tones that were used.

The paint's undertone is green, which works beautifully with the green leather options by Hancock and Moore. Cranberry also works well with the paint. If I did cranberry sofas I'd do the light blue/gray/slate for drapes with a multicolored ball fringe in cranberry, blue, etc. If I did green sofas I'm lost for drape colors. I like the idea of a pair of chairs upholstered in a light pink solid, stripe, or pattern. I will also have another pair of chairs somewhere in the room, but am unconcerned by them at the moment.

I know cranberry sofas would be bold. I worry they will clash with the potentially partially seen keeping room settee, which is off the kitchen. I worry green sofas present me with no drapery colors I'd like. I don't want cranberry drapes I don't think.

I have a few inspiration photos that include some of these colors.

I also don't know what to do about fabric vs. leather. We have two small children, but they are really well behaved and I doubt they will be eating popsicles in this room or doing anything crazy that will ruin the sofas. My husband prefers leather. I don' tknow what I want.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to talk through colors for my family room

Wall color

o

Inspiration photo

o

Another inspiration photo

o

This is how much of the keeping room
You can see. Excuse the terrible mess!

o

If it were me I'd go with the cranberry tone with the blue gray slate color drapes. I had a genuine historic house once and used that combo and loved it.

o

Thanks, yaya. Do you have photos? That's what I'm leaning toward, but am worried about the rust-colored velvet settee in the keeping room clashing since they are in the same line of sight.

o

I am a colorphobe with a pathological aversion to red. But I vote cranberry, and as close to the shade and texture of your inspiration room as possible. In fact, I would just go about copying that room as closely as possible. That means a little tighter palette than you suggest, but I think that is what makes the cranberry work and seem fresh, instead of somebody's mother's LR.

o

Or "wine" or "burgundy" would be beautiful.

o

Any thoughts as to how this can work with the poppy/rust settee in the other room?

o

i know i've seen your settee, but can you post the actual poppy/rust from the other room?

my first thought is that cranberry and rust and green for that matter work in nature in the fall, so there's no reason they can't work in a sightline in different rooms. :)

that said, all colors have nuances so maybe post the specific fabrics in question?

i, too, love the inspiration photos! unlike mtnrdredux, i'm not at all a colorphobe, but still love the very pale washed out palette with the bold cranberry in your inspiration pics!

o

Here is the keeping room settee velvet

o

I am so nervous about making a mistake here. We are making purchases that we don't intend to replace. I'm ok reupholstering something if absolutely necessary, but redecorating to follow changing trends is not something I intend to do.

I am now leaning toward a green pair of sofas in leather. Not hunter green or mint, but an in-between that works with the Calke Green of my keeping room. I won't be able to get to the furniture store to pick up more leather and fabric samples until the weekend, unfortunately.

I too believe all this works in nature, but sometimes I see things in houses that looks horrible paired together indoors even though outside it would be stunning.

The settee being made by Lancer as we type is in Robert Allen Savoy velvet Poppy. I'm an idiot for not thinking of my family room when I chose this color!!!!! Live and learn, I guess.

The photo of the poppy is slightly off, as are most I found online. It is a rust with a slight pink tone, but definitely orange in base. It has a weave that shows a dark and light when you brush your hand over it.

o

I don't think that the color is so rusty that it will fight with a cranberry color especially two rooms away. The leathers you are looking at offer enough shades that you could find one that reads cranberry in the family room but works with the poppy visually. Same with the green if you go with green. You don't have to match the Calke but there are green leathers that are compatible.

If you go with velvet for the Family room sofas, it will be easy because there are so many shades of velvet available. Leather will be a bit more limited, but really your consideration there will be price.

o

IMHO green leather is so much more ordinary than cranberry velvet

o

I think the rooms are far enough away that I wouldn't worry about it. Rather, I'd concentrate on making each one exactly what you want for each and the glimpse of one room to the other will only whet the appetite for seeing more or something else your house has to offer.

Sometimes we can fret ourselves out of the groove we need to be in to be our best creatively. Instead, seek your decorating mojo and trust your instincts....

o

My husband is leaving the color up to me, but continues to suggest that velvet is not a practical option. Poor guy is prone to spills. I'm thinking it would not be fair to go with velvet since he opposes it so strongly.

My racing brain is now thinking a graphite color leather would be nice. Hickory Chair has one called Taft Graphite.

o

Possible solution if large leather was for couches and other colors here used for chairs, drapes, bench, etc?

o

Thanks, Annie. The problem is I am indecisive and question all my choices. I don't have an instinct about this, which is why I'm so concerned.

o

i can relate to a practical, (and messy) husband. :)

really, if you limit all the accent colors you mentioned and keep it really soft except for the sofas i don't think there would be any conflict, and you'd have two spaces you love.

o

Wow I think your color scheme sounds very different and quite fantastic. I am jealous of all the Farrow and Ball colors you have. Their paint looks so wonderful but I know of no place to buy where I live.

Do you have a place where you have more pics of your house? The little glimpses you've shown look very intriguing and I'd love to see more!

Cranberry sofas sound exciting, but I don't know if you'd get tired of that after a while. Especially on 2 large expensive pieces like that. Then you are married to working with that color forever. What about doing the sofas in the slately soft blue-gray? I think that would be a lot easier to work with and you could do a pair of chairs in the cranberry with big cranberry pillows on the sofas.

o

Thanks, Jockey. Our house is not yet done, but I will post a big reveal when it is.

I ordered our paint from the Chicago showroom. The staff is very helpful and friendly. I bought a bunch of samples prior to buying the gallons.

If slate blue gray couches, what color drapes?

o

I am going to tell you this about velvet and the opinion may not be popular: It's a dust mite magnet. If you have anyone with allergies, beware. If you have pets, beware. If you are someone who is not cleaning constantly, beware. I am speaking from experience of having a tufted fainting couch in raspberry velvet. My sister warned me (she is a degreed interior designer).

o

I have a graphite sofa, have chairs of a damask that appears beach glass if you cross your eyes, but it is in reality a soft, soft lime and grayish blue. Other chairs are a black-brown-oxblood recliner of leather. Then another chair has a black ground with cayenne, bluish gray, limish green and grays and beiges (very Hermes look) of flora and birds. Gorgeous, gorgeous print. I understand the designer for this pattern was one of Lady Di's favorites. I have needlepoint rug of faded grays and rusts, black clock on the mantel, taupish gray walls and trim, shutters of slightly lighter colors and drapes of a mayonnaise color on decorative pewter rods.

o

Patricia, I would love to see photos!

Our son is highly allergic to dust mites. It requires a lot of effort for me to deal with. I never thought of this when I ordered the velvet settee. I'll have to use my uv wand on it constantly!

o

Threeapples, I really honestly love the look of a neutral colored drape, maybe something in a nubby linen and then add a tape or panel on the leading edge in the cranberry or green. Or what about a subtle stripe? I love Georgian style houses and I just love love love the color scheme you're building. I am not one of those that really worries too much about matching colors exactly. I wouldn't worry about one piece in a completely different room matching.

I happen to have a bergere chair in an emerald/sea green leather that is gorgeous. I imagine the sofas in green would be gorgeous as well, but I just can't imagine 2 huge pieces like that in such a strong color not getting tiring after a while and being too bossy in the room.

Seems like your heart is set on the Chippendale sofas, but I love an English roll arm. Have you ever considered something like that?

Speaking of Georgian houses, there is an episode of Sarah Richardson's Design Inc. show from about 8 or so years ago where she did a kitchen in a new Georgian build. She did cabinets in custom built crotch mahogany and the walls were also in F&B Light Blue and it was stunning.

o

Threeapples, I really honestly love the look of a neutral colored drape, maybe something in a nubby linen and then add a tape or panel on the leading edge in the cranberry or green. Or what about a subtle stripe? I love Georgian style houses and I just love love love the color scheme you're building. I am not one of those that really worries too much about matching colors exactly. I wouldn't worry about one piece in a completely different room matching.

I happen to have a bergere chair in an emerald/sea green leather that is gorgeous. I imagine the sofas in green would be gorgeous as well, but I just can't imagine 2 huge pieces like that in such a strong color not getting tiring after a while and being too bossy in the room.

Seems like your heart is set on the Chippendale sofas, but I have heard before they can be uncomfortable. i would be sure to sit on one first, but I'm sure you've probably done that. Seems like your heart is set on Chippendale, but I love an English roll arm. Have you ever considered something like that? If money was no object I would get a George Smith English roll arm in a linen velvet tomorrow.

Speaking of Georgian houses, there is an episode of Sarah Richardson's Design Inc. show from about 8 or so years ago where she did a kitchen in a new Georgian build. She did cabinets in custom built crotch mahogany and the walls were also in F&B Light Blue and it was stunning.

o

I did consider other sofa profiles, many that are more unique and interesting. I know I'm going with a vanilla choice, but I don't care because I like it best.

As to the possibility of growing tired of a bold sofa color I might, but I think my house calls for this. If its horrible I will adjust our color scheme with the elements that are easiest to change. I don't like neutral Cora for sofas generally.

o

I had a burgundy velvet sofa for 25 years and never got tired of it, though it has seen better days, I can't replace it now because we're moving before too long. Otherwise I'd just get another one! Two might seem alike a lot, but maybe not in a large room. I've found that I don't "get tired" of colors that I just love-- others might, but they don't say!

o

The room is 22' x 35'. Clearly I need to balance whatever color I use for the sofas with something else and, hopefully if I learn how to manage one or two rugs, the colors of those will help.

o

I would love to provide you with photos but due to my visual dysacuity, I cannot use a camera, but I have glad tidings of great joy, my new ophthalmologist has prescribed a prism lens which he believes will help me but I have to be treated for the inflammation in my eye for 3 months prior to that. Yea! I am finally going to have glasses (hopefully) that I can with.

o

I have two plum leather sofas -- and a dark green leather recliner -- and a very old gold-upholstered armchair ....

BUT my vote is for green leather sofas! :)

Aug. 08. 09 Summer living room outdoor rug from Target photo August82009SaturdayNewDoorKnocke-4.jpg

o

teacats, I love that room!

o

I love Georgian homes and your's will be gorgeous! No need at all to go with trends when you have lovely classic furniture. We did a Hancock & Moore chair in Tiburon Basil. it is a lovely, soft greyed green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiburon Basil

o

mtnrdredux: Thank you so much! You know that I adore your décor style -- so your thought really means so much to me! :)

o

Very nice, tea cats!!

Tiburon Basil is one of my favorites. :)

o

It really is lovely isn't I? Our sofa is the Grand Teton done in Pullman Brick and we have a Jess Charles chair done in H & M Burnished Weston Cane. Our two upholstered chairs pull the rest together. Even though we have three different leather colors it all seems to work well together.
I am so excited to see it all come together for you! It is going to be gorgeous!

Teacats your room is beautiful and absolutely timeless. Thank you for posting it!

o

Tiburon basil is a super color! Very nice.

o

Holly, those colors are all so handsome.

I am going to pick up more samples tomorrow and post back when I do.

o

Can't wait to see more samples. This is going to be such a lovely space.

Teacats... One of my most fave rooms!!

o

I'm always amazed at folks who can just select colors out of the blue and go from there. I can't. I need some kind of inspiration to send me in a color direction. I guess because I like so many color combos it would be hard for me to choose.

Being a fabric nut, I usually start with the fabric and then work from there. So if you are thinking of having a print in the room, you can pull the colors from the print...window treatments or pillows.... Or perhaps art, or perhaps you might want to start with the rugs (though I find too many beautiful ones for me to select between them without difficulty) to give you a more definite color direction.

o

In this case it is best to start with the leather and go from there. Since the sofa and the manufacturer are a given, the leathers have to be selected from their offerings, so this is the thing that probably has the most limited choices of the things going into the room.

o

I decided on a red color. The four I narrowed it down to are Hickory Chair Classico Cherry, Barrington Cherry, Hancock and Moore Weston ruby, and Garfield claret. Any thoughts on a favorite? They are instead as from left to right

o

A BIG vote for the deep rich claret -- what a yummy color! :)

And many thanks for the nice thoughts about my room !! :)

o

The one to the far right.

o

I like all of them but I really like the one on the far right but a H & M leather is hard to beat. The one on the far left is not at a good angle so it's hard to tell what it really looks like. Could you place them on a flat surface and retake the pic?

o

Not the greatest photo. The two small are HM. The large is Hickory Chair.
I'm nearly certain the HM is a thousand dollars more than HC.

o

I think this is one of those things that may be close enough that it's worth saving the $1000 per sofa and going a bit brighter?

o

I like the bottom left color wise but I agree that for 1,000 I could learn to love the Hickory sample as much! Your home is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

o

The green leather chesterfield a are classic, and the green leather is outstanding. This is a wonderful William Morris wallpaper and fabric that we were planning to use in our library, but the ceilings in that room are 14 ft. and I was afraid it would be Too Much. But the pattern is gorgeous and perfectly incorporates your colors harmoniously. Could you use this fabric on pillows for your our velvet sofa, and again on something in the adjacent room?

Beautiful choices so far!

o

That's what my husband says (though he likes the darker one best), but then I worry it will look like I have two red sports cars in my room!

o

Pecos Garnet on top of Garfield Claret (the one you all liked best earlier).

o

I really think the green leather sofa will be the long lasting classic.

o

KSWL, your fabric is really nice and I love its color palette. I don't know if a William Morris pattern would work stylistically in my house. Then again, the pattern in my keeping room isn't quite authentic either.

I'm really torn now, because of your comment about the green. The problem is that I don't know what to do about drapes if I did green sofas. Why do you happen to think green is less trendy? I'm not going for trendy, by the way.

o

They weren't afraid of bold color in the late 18th century:
 photo governors_zpsd35de3e8.jpg
 photo diningroom_zpsc1129cfd.jpg
 photo mountvernondr_zps53eb8201.png
 photo adelphiproductphoto1_zps70d0e440.jpg
 photo PAGODASA-b.jpg

o
Keeping room fabric

The keeping room fabric isn't a document print, I don't think, but it's not exactly inauthentic:

18th c. petticoat:

o
Baron, for comparison

Keeping room fabric:

o

When we were shopping at The Keeping Room for a few furniture pieces Duane had the most gorgeous H & M sofa in a very bold cherry red. It was quite lovely. Go with what you love and you will be happy. I think the Tiburon Basil would look quite smashing on sofas but it would definitely give a more toned down vibe. I love the brightness of the rooms that Pal posted!

o

Palimpsest, that petticoat is stunning! Seeing it makes me excited about my drapes.

The 18th century "decorators" were far bolder than I ever will be. I wish I had their courage to just choose something and go with it. I'm now torn about red vs. green again. Ugh. I wish I had more color confidence! I really like the HM leather quality much more than the HC. It feels better to the touch, less plastic-y (not to say the HC feels cheap, I'm just speaking of comparing the two). My husband also prefers the HM because their leathers are not as shiny. All of this is hard to illustrate online of course.

o

If you go with the more expensive leather, it works out to about 2 dollars a day for six years for both sofas. I have a feeling you are going to be "once and done" for many of the decisions and purchases. Some people spend a couple thousand dollars every seven years or so on a new sofa.
I've told the story before but my parents bought a sofa in the late sixties that was close to the same price as small car at the time. But 45 years later it's still in their LR. If you amortize it over that period of time it isn't such a big deal.

o

First, I think the green pictured is a more traditional leather because it has a beautiful, understated finish. More muted colors of leather like green or navy or darker reds like cordovan (bordering on brown) and cranberry were traditional because aniline dyes hadn't yet been invented. Bright red leather may be beautiful, but to me is the color of diner stools and Cadillac upholstery in the Fifties, and more modern settings since then. I also think the shiny finish is garish.

I absolutely LOVE red and it is in almost every room of my house (some might say garishly, lol), so I have no bias against the color per se. Additionally, you already have a beautiful red velvet sofa and IMO the two will compete in adjoining rooms. I think green will work well with what you already have. The William Morris pattern was really just and example of how the red, blue and green have been combined so successfully in papers and fabrics. I think you are on track for the kind of timeless look you want.

o

Although some of the historical homes had some very bright colors on the walls the furnishings tended to be pretty neutral in comparison. Have you considered using a natural leather or a navy that is almost black?
The red velvet in the inspiration image is beautiful but red leather is a much different look.

o

I know many historic homes like Monticello had bright leather upholstery. I did briefly consider neutrals, but feel like my room would look more contemporary.

I strongly agree that there is a huge difference between red leather and velvet. That is partly why I fear green leather might be better. But, that throws off my color scheme, especially with respect to draperies.

I really want to copy the drapes in my inspiration photo, which are a blue/gray/green in a light tone with multicolor tassel fringe. I do not want dark color drapes in this room.

This post was edited by three3apples on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 9:45

o

No get the green! Lol of course it's your choice--I like red in punches but not as huge pieces in the room but that's a personal preference. I just feel the green is easier to work with. That and I love blue and green

o

I am curious why you think the curtains in the inspiration picture--- the dining room, right?---would not look good with the green sofa? Depending upon the other fabrics in the room (chairs, pillows, benches, etc) you can find complementary fabric that will pull the gray/green/blue of the drapery into perfect harmony with the green sofa. Since it is beyond the purview of a busy mom with small children to go through thousands of fabric samples, you might consider hiring a designer for that specific task, i.e. to bring you a selection of fabrics in a certain price range in a couple of different types of cloth or weaves or finishes, that tie the green leather and the curtain material. You would probably be pleasantly surprised at what turns up that is to the trade only. I know I have been!

o

I think either would work, and either will have to work with the keeping room, although technically it's two rooms away.

The room is Calke Green, so the green leather would have to reference that at least as much as the red leather would have to coordinate with the poppy sofa, maybe more.

Actually in my searches I found more red leather from the early periods than green--although most of it seems a bit darker. There is a brilliant red leather sofa in Wendell Garrett's "Classic America" if I remember correctly.

The other thing about this room is that it is vast, 20+ by 35 feet (?) so it can carry some things a smaller room probably could not.

o

I have gone through three decorators. None had a real understanding of what my goals for the house were. I wish our area were more of a magnet to people with a real sense of historic homes. You're right, being a mother to small children leaves me very little time for all of this. I have been buying fabric samples online like it's my job!

The room is 22 x 35. This sitting area will be in front of the fireplace. I will likely have a chair and ottoman in the corner by the kitchen and another sitting area on the other side of the room.

I don't know how to visualize well so perhaps because the curtains in the inspiration photos aren't paired with green sofas I am telling myself it wouldn't work. Haha.

o

Not sure why, but for some reason, I thought of this room....

o

If you decide to use red on the sofas in the FR I would probably do the darkest leather I could find so it would not compete / clash with keeping room sofa. But that is a lot of red sofa in two rooms, and I love red.

What is in your more formal living room or parlor?

It's too bad you haven't been able to find an ID who can interpret your vision with well chosen fabrics and furniture groupings. A good one can actually save you money on purchases and in a room that is of long lasting style. But you seem to be doing all right on your own.

o

Teacats, your room is lovely!
KSWL, I love your fabric. You have a good eye for lovely.

Three3apples, I like the same red that is unanimous, I think. I fear if you do not get it, you will never be happy with the green. However, if you tire easily of your clothes or cars, beware of buying a strong color such as red.
I love red. I cannot wear red. I feel like a trollop in red in large amounts. I like red scarves or a nice pair of red sling backs with a conservative dress or suit to add some flash-n-dash. How do you feel about wearing red? Most people's homes reflect what they have in their closet. Clothing is very personal for most of us and tells a story about who we are, and that applies to our homes as well. If you cannot wait to get home and remove the red coat, don't buy a red sofa but if you want to wear the red coat all year long, even in hot weather, you should get the red sofas.

o

i like red too generally-- out of your fabric swatches, much prefer the claret. am not crazy about the shinier leathers. i wouldn't think twice about going with the more expensive leather if it was one i prefered...

but, i would be afraid of the '2 red sports cars' in the family room look... and i would be afraid i would get tired of that look. i would probably go with a green- as long as it was the 'right' shade of green for me or with the graphite.... probably the graphite since it is more neutral and i could do whatever i wanted with some/all of the chairs, the pillows, drapes, etc.....

o

kswl said:
"It's too bad you haven't been able to find an ID who can interpret your vision with well chosen fabrics and furniture groupings. A good one can actually save you money on purchases and in a room that is of long lasting style."

From my experience the last few years working with an ID, I have to disagree that they can save you money. The ones I met are running a business for profit and have no interest in saving the client money. Maybe it is my geographic area and LA designers have different goals!

Three, I have a large red sofa, 2 burnt orange armchairs and 2 bright orange armchairs (not all in the same room!), so I'm not afraid of color. Could you do one sofa in leather and another in fabric? I like the deep red that everyone seems to agree on.

o

I like the red, and can't wait to see more. (and love your room teacats, and the picture you posted annie)

I like the one on the far left and far right, but the right the best.

I do like a sage green leather if it is the right shape, and not a blob leather sofa, but for some reason not a fan of the green. Navy might be nice too. :)

o

3apples, I came upon a book that may be of interest to you, it will not help with leather choices but could help if you are looking for period style fabrics. It is Fabrics for Historic Buildings by Jane Nylander, linked below.

Also, the colors in this historic house make me think of yours. Although it is much more rustic than yours the dark red with the light green and coral in the background is beautiful. Since your one couch is rusty red, what about a coral color for this room? I doubt that you would find a leather but maybe a stain resistant fabric or a fitted slipcover would work, something that could be easily washed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Fabrics book

o

Chispa, our ID orders furniture at his cost plus 35%, which has proven a significant savings over the "40% off retail" that one gets ordering through even the most consumer friendly furniture stores, especially when that is often 40% off an inflated retail price. But, he is in New York and not LA, so...

Love that historic room, athomeinva!

o

At home, I was not aware of that book. Thank you very much for alerting me to it!

I am not a trendy dresser by any means. My friends and family describe my wardrobe as classic and artistic. I love wearing color if it suits me and is in a silhouette and fabric that works for me. I am not afraid to wear bold choices, but am most comfortable in an Oxford shirt, fitted jeans, a blazer, and boots.

I am now on a slightly different path. I can't stand my indecision. I'm thinking of doing two HC Sheraton sofas. I wish I could do the claret leather from HM, but HC doesn't offer such a color, sadly. I am beside myself with frustration that I cannot make these decisions more easily.

Thanks for the great illustrative photos, everyone. They are all beautiful images that make me happy I'm trying to do a period style with my decor.

o

I only want you to be happy with your decision. I think you have handled this wisely and are well grounded in the process. I believe you will be satisfied in the long haul. I like the way you dress, me too. However, as much as I love red in my home, I look horrible in red, but envy all my beautiful, sweet friends who wear it well.

I think a Jacobean print such as athomeinva has posted, in your color palette, will look classic and gorgeous.

o

kswl, glad you found an ID that works for you. The one I used this past year charged for her hours and supposedly cost plus 20%, but she never showed the cost or itemized her hours. I did find out after the fact on a few products that she charged us more than the 20%. Mostly she was happy to charge us retail. No way to verify her pricing or hours on the job and her invoices included no details about hours spent or products purchased. Smoke and mirrors ... not a good way to run a business. We know each other socially, so we thought we could trust her.

Three, do you have to rush this decision? Maybe you need to take a break before you make a selection you might regret later on.

o

I don't often wear red, though I went through a phase in my 20s when I wore red lipstick all the time (I'm fair and blonde so it worked). I don't set out in the morning to make statements with my wardrobe. I have two small children and am a very busy person so lately I am practical and simple with my clothes. I keep things until I can no longer wear them, rarely replace my coats, shoes, etc until they are in disrepair. I like buying things that I know I won't grow tired of and will last.

I don't need to rush, but feel an urgency because I want to save money by purchasing during the current sale going on.

o

I am not sure that I have ever seen a Sheraton style sofa in leather. This sofa is sort of similar to one of the light greens that you were looking at, it looks so nice with the pink pillows.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 8:56

o

Athome, that room is just gorgeous! I love the colors (and they are similar to those I am working toward).

I could only find one leather Sheraton sofa while doing a google image search. Perhaps leather in this style was not as common.

o

3apples, you mentioned you bought your F&B paint in the Chicago area, do you live in the Chicago area? Asking because I know of a furniture store that sells H&M, whose owner is a wonderful designer & there is no hourly fee.
I discovered him 6-7 years ago after going thru 4 designers.

o

Romy, no, we don't live in Chicago, but are in the Midwest. I visited the F & B store at Merchandise Mart years before we broke ground and kept in touch with the very helpful sales people there. They have been incredibly patient with me while I worked through my house's color palette.

I wish I was near the H& M designer.

o

I would go HM over HC. I have both: an HC "Madison" velvet tufted side chair (about $1300) and an HM "Sumptuous Chair" (about $2800). For the amount of money you're spending and the importance of the function (it's a sofa that will be used a lot), I'd go with HM since HM is the most respected leather upholsterer it seems.

A few things about the HM leather.

1. I was talked out of going with the higher grade leathers by most retailers in my area even though it would have made them more money. For an everyday chair like I bought, or an often used sofa like it looks like you're buying I think you may regret not getting a protected leather. With HM, the protected leathers do not have to be all that shiny. Mine is Piazza Mocha, which does have a sheen in some lighting but not usually. Without that protection, scratches will be inevitable and I think you'll regret it.

2. Don't skimp by going with the Town and Country package to save 10%. The leathers and covers chosen for that package sometimes are from China, even if the covers are then applied domestically. For what you're spending, I'd go with a fully US-made product and forego the 10% savings.

3. Make sure you get a cutting of the leather from the factory to be sure that the current leather being used is close in color, texture, and sheen to the samples in the store. I found the samples to be pretty varied, and the store I used recommended getting a cutting before signing off given the amount of money you're spending.

I found HM pricing to be all over the place when looking. I'd also call the place I went to in Philly (M Kaplan Interiors) and get a price. His price was significantly below what most places were offering me (he even beat Greenfront down in VA). I don't think you can use him since you live in Ohio (or somewhere in midwest I'm forgetting), but you can use it as a baseline for your local negotiations.

Here are the pictures of the HC "Madison Tufted Side Chair" (blue velvet) and the HM "Sumptuous Chair" I bought to give you a sense of style/quality and, as to the HM, the leather. Good luck.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

o

Thank you, Kevin. Both of your chairs are just beautiful (as is everything I've seen of your house). I do love your style and am impressed with your ability to put it all together so well.

I agree the HM leather is much nicer and of higher quality. The problem I'm running into is my concern that the Chippendale sofa (of either company) is so common that it won't look "special" in my house. For this reason I'm considering the HC Sheraton sofa, a profile that Hancock and Moore does not even offer.

Obviously I am indecisive, mostly by nature, but also, in this case, because we are talking about a huge expense for something I don't plan on reworking unless a serious disaster befalls my furniture!

Do you have any thoughts, Kevin, on the best profile for my space?

Thanks

o

I don't know what your use of the sofa is going to be. You're referring to it as a family room, but I would not opt for that kind of sofa style for everyday use because of the high arm and minimal cushioning. And if you're not going to use this as an everyday sofa, then I don't know that I would spend the extra money for HM if it's not really going to be used all that often. If it's more of an everyday sofa, I think you'd want a deeper seat, a lower arm, and a pillowed seat with either a pillowed or tufted back. I think a Chesterfield would be a compromise (tufted and comfy but still classic (and still with a high arm) or one of the other similar styles HM offers like the Crosby or Robinson, or something like the Todd. I'd just go with a lower arm than a Chesterfield or Chippendale, but that's purely based on comfort.

Have you checked out Taylor King (owned by HM and available in leather)? Something like the Highclere, Griffin, Gilmore, or Carmine maybe.

Then again, I bought a $3300 Thomasville sectional sofa because I didn't want to commit to a more expensive sofa longterm. It's held up well since I switched to spring down cushions, but I just couldn't see shelling out $6000 on a sofa I couldn't even sit in to know if it would be comfortable long term. Plus, I wanted the low, curved arm and a deep seat, which seemed to limit options for me at the time. If these are everyday sofas, you really need to find a showroom to sit in your options. It's very difficult to buy upholstery without sitting in or laying on it first, and that's even more of an issue when you're shelling out this kind of dough.

o

Unless our keeping room settee is uncomfortable, and I don't think it will be, I foresee us as a family using the keeping room most often for relaxing. There is a tv in there and it's a small, quaint space. I call the next room the family room because I dislike the terms "great room" or "grand room". I see us using it when we entertain. I will likely use it to read in, have tea, etc. I want it to be comfortable, but formal. We have a large finished basement with comfortable furniture and a projection tv where our children also like to relax, so we are not devoid of spaces with practical furniture for our family.

I have not heard of Taylor King, but will look it up right now.

Thanks

o

Threeapples, your room is quite large. I can really see a more imposing style of sofa in your room. DH fell in love with the H & M Teton. The link is the actual sofa we ended up with and I really like the burnished look. I don't worry about scratching with this as it already has the patina of an older piece of furniture. I was looking for pretty and we ended up with a more masculine look but I have to say it is a very imposing and neat piece of furniture. I think your room needs unique. I do wonder though if a tufted sofa would be an appropriate look for the era you are recreating?

Here is a link that might be useful: this sofa

o

Forgot to add that you need to scroll down to see our sofa. It is the first one on the forum.

o

Holly-Your sofa is gorgeous.

Tufted does work in my home's style, but a tufted Chippendale, not a tufted Chesterfield, for example.

I'm so torn. I love the simplicity of the Chippendale. I like the Sheraton, but don't love any of the Hickory Chair leathers. I'm going to look at their fabrics tomorrow just in case there is something (not velvet) that would work.

I too want pretty, not masculine, in this room. We have many more masculine rooms in the house.

o

I had the sofa that Holly has linked. I think it is a nice sofa but I just did not feel that my ladies for tea felt comfy in that sofa. It was comfy for my days of leisure and reading, but not for ladies in high tea outfits. I gave it to a DIL whose main social event is looking for parents of rescue pets.

o

Patricia, I agree that it is an extremely comfy sofa for curling up with a good book or lounging but not a comfy sofa for sitting straight up. It is a very deep sofa and I have short legs so only sit on it if I am reading and want to stretch out using the arm for a back rest. DH loved it and it grew on me also but a Chippendale or Sheraton would definitely be more fitting for a ladies tea.

I am so enjoying this post and watching everything come together!

o

No states anywhere near ours has the Sheraton available for us to sit on. The salespeople all remind me it is not a popular look now and none have actually seen one themselves. So, I have no way to "try before we buy," unfortunately.

o

It is so difficult to know about a sofa's comfort level even when in person. My DH sat on the Teton and said it was fine. I curled up on it but didn't try sitting upright on it because I strongly prefer a chair and knew I would almost never sit on it. He seems very pleased and doesn't complain about it but then he loved it so much I think he would have rather left the store without me than without the sofa!

o

Threeapples, this was the sofa I had chosen. It has a bench style seat with tufted back. I saw it up close and personal, it is beautiful and is the sofa I wanted but DH prevailed. Would this possibly be a style that would work for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sanctuary

o

Maybe I should call this a formal living room to reiterate that I am not looking for furniture that my kids can jump on or lay on to watch tv (we won't have a tv in that room).

Holly, that sofa is very handsome. If the back were a slightly different shape it would work in my room (barring it's nice cognac color).

o

Forgive me if I missed it, but have you posted photos of this room? I've tried searching to get a visual of the space but haven't found it - of course that doesn't mean it isn't there IYKWIM :)

o

Would this HM sofa work?

o

No I have not. It's a long rectangle with an opening at one short end and at the end of one long side. :)

I'll take a photo after I get my children to bed.

o

Fireplace between two windows

o

Long view

o

Opening to hall

o

I don't know why you insist on hiding all of the good pictures. That fireplace is incredible (especially the herringbone brick).

Have you thought about just buying a solid frame and getting it reupholstered. You could even live with the color for a while to see what you think you might like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Like these two Georgian sofas

o

:) I'm not hiding them, I was just planning to lump them all together when the house is done.

I'm really happy with the fireplace. I need to paint it and the overmantel after I learn proper technique regarding caulking, etc.

The price for frames minus and fabric is outrageous. It's ridiculous!

I hesitate to buy used upholstered pieces that are not leather because I'm hugely phobic to bed bugs and dust mites.

o

Kevin,

We talked about doing COL (customer's own leather) but the particular problem with leather is that you have to buy the hides and then if something happens, even if the company pays for it you still have to supply more hides. It's not quite the same as customer's own fabric, because hides come as a piece, it's not like getting a few more yards from the same dye lot (and a lot more complicated than just picking from their selections).

I think buying old furniture and reupholstering is often preferable to buying new (It's what I tend to do). With fabric it often tends to work out less expensive than buying new, but with leather it tends to be expensive and complicated, Including getting the hides to begin with.

o

Such a pretty room! Seeing the space, especially with the black and white in the front, I really do not like the red. I could see a dark coral color or a cranberry in there. I also do not really like a light green, but maybe a light teal or peacock blue would work with some coral or pink. I like the colors in the petticoat that Pal posted, if you pulled out some of the colors form the flowers and leaves they would look nice in your room.

o

Thanks, at home.

Cranberry has been my goal, but only Hancock and Moore has a leather in cranberry. The sofa (Sheraton style) I am now heavily considering, is made by Hickory Chair and they do not offer a cranberry leather, only two bright reds and a deep brownish mulberry, which I like, but not for my room. I am going to see the fabric they offer today and there is potential I might find something in non leather that might work.

Why does the black and white steer you away from red--too much like a theater or diner? ;)

o

Came across this website and the "Geranium" sofa might interest you-

Here is a link that might be useful: John Derian furniture

o

Narrowed down fabric options

o

Here are the ones I narrowed it down to in my actual room. The small swatch is the fabric for the keeping room settee

o

I think the green looks stupendous next to the color you have chosen for your keeping room sofa, but realize they will not be in that close proximity. If you do use the green I would consider having a pair of chairs in that same rusty pink color in your family room. You could do an additional pair of chairs or even a pair of smaller settees in slate blue leather, and bring in the cranberry, pink, blue and green in one or more oriental rugs.

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 14:04

o

I emailed you.

o

What do you think about the colors though, Palimpsest?

o

Threeapples- Which one have you liked the most in the room so far?

o

At home, I like the darker green velvet the most in the room. The red velvets are slightly too rust based. If they were more like the sofa in my inspiration photo I feel like it would be easy for me to choose. I think a dark wood frame with the red velvet would not be pretty (if I did the Sheraton), so I would do a gold wood frame in that case, and maybe even for the green velvet.

I'm feeling uncomfortable about straying from my inspiration photo if I do green sofas and worried on how to navigate drapery options (I really want solid with multicolor tassel fringe).

o

I think the green velvet would look nice with the drapery, it appears that there is a good deal of the dark green in the mural of the inspiration room.

o

another view of your inspiration room-

o

Arapaho--how did you get that?! So fantastic.

I decided I've narrowed it down to the dark red and the dark green. I'm not sure yet between Chippendale or Sheraton. If Sheraton I do t know Mahogany or gilt frame.

o

three3apples, I looked at your inspiration photo again and noticed the name Anne Fairfax. Did a search and up came her blog- if you scroll down far enough you'll see the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Enchanted Home

o

Very clever. Thanks so much!

o

Take a look at this. Leathercraft was the other company highly recommended to me by two local furniture places.

You may be a le to get it without tufting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chippendale sofa

o

a Sheraton available in leather here-

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard Rothstein

This post was edited by arapaho on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 10:16

o

o

A more accurate image of the two colors I am deciding between:

o

Thanks, At home. I am very familiar with that portrait. :)

Still undecided for profile and color over here......!

o

Been following this with interest...good luck!

o

Just some visuals.... I think either cranberry or green would be very pretty.

o

I'm in the green camp. Green is the color of nature - goes with everything.

o

three3apples, you mentioned the poppy/rust settee currently in your keeping room. Do you think you'd rather stay away from sofas in a similar color?

I read what kswl said re: green sofas and bringing the poppy/rust color into your room for chairs - I do agree. It would be a lovely way to tie the rooms together.

o

I think your original choice for drapes - blue/slate/gray - in the right shade would look beautiful with green sofas.

Agree with homersmom that green can really be seen as a neutral.

o

I LOVE those photos!

Here is an accurate image of the keeping room fabric with the potential red for the family room to give you all an idea of their tones.

o

Came across this post - Georgian colours from Henrietta Spencer-Churchill's book on The Georgian Style

o

3apples, you *need* this William Morris Kerastan rug! It looks to have a variety of the colors you've chosen in the palette, and would finish off the room beautifully.

I started with the rug first, actually choosing the same WM but in black~still love it after 7 years of looking at it every day! It's in the greatroom, which I use as my 'formal room', somewhat like you. There hasvto be ONE room in the house for adults! Choosing a rug first seems to allow everything else to fall in place so much easier. If you were thinking of adding one as a 'secondary' option, move it to the forefront for ease in decision making.

I see grey is a historic color in Henrietta Spencer-Churchhill's book The Georgian Style. Who knew?

Here is a link that might be useful: WM rug

o

That looks like a lipstick red, not cranberry. A cranberry would be more desirable, IMO, because you could also then use pink in the room with it. It would be difficult to use pink with the color red you are considering from Hickory Chair.

o

That is a very beautiful rug!

I am not sure what kind of red lipstick red is. I have lots of red lipsticks, all a touch different from each other! :)

It is not cranberry, but warmer. I think pink looks pretty with it. I too wish it were more cranberry.

o

photo empiresofawhitehouse_zpsac038a2b.jpg

photo whitehousecrosshall_zps00e32358.jpg

o

Lol you are right, 3apples, I guess I equate that vivid true red with my mother's lipstick. There's also a Benjamin Moore paint called Lipstick Red that is just that color, so the combination of those two is my frame of reference :-) The room is certainly large enough to take any color or combination beautifully, but the red in the inspiration photo does look softer.

o

A big vote for the green -- totally yummy shade! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here