I am getting ready to do the stone on my fireplaces and I can't find a

mantle I like . I've never been a fan of them anyway - they just look

cluttered . I have been looking online for photos of fireplaces without

mantles but there are very few . Has anyone seen something like this

and did you like it ?

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Usually the fireplaces without mantles I've seen are modern in style. If your furniture and decorating style is traditional, then a mantle would be more appropriate.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Modern or MCM would be fine without a mantle, but anything else...it's questionable.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

My fireplace is made of brick & not stone, but here's a pic anyways.
    I wish I had a mantle.

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going with a modern rustic look . Nothing traditional , that's probably
    why I don't like mantles ! LOL I had a very traditional brick fireplace in my
    last house and other than Christmas , I did not like it . Mine is a corner
    fireplace that is going all the way up the 10' ceiling . I thought with just the
    stone it would look very clean . There is also no raised hearth .
    Laurie , I really like your fireplace without a mantle . A piece of artwork
    above would look great .

• simpletaste
    15 years ago

My home is very old. I have a very streamline, simple stone fireplace without a mantle.
    Modern rustic style, a fireplace without a mantle would work.

Go for it, my two cent vote no mantel.
    ----------
    Laurie

I would paint the wood and add a statement piece in place of a mantle.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

simpletaste - Other people besides you & fayemarie have also suggested painting that wood above the fireplace and displaying some artwork. I agree it would look better. I will definitely be putting something there in the near future. As far as painting...Dh is set on it remaining plain wood, no paint. Oh well, he gives in to me on other decorating ideas. So, it's one of those compromising things.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

My fireplace doesn't have a mantle. I've thought about adding one over the years but the stone is very irregular in depth, so the mantle would have to be carved out around the stones, and I just left it. Actually, in this picture it looks a little plain, but in real life, It really looks fine without the mantle. Pictures have a way of distorting reality.

• Oakley
    15 years ago

We put in a quartsite (sp) mantel and also used it for the hearth. I love it. Wood just wouldn't go right with it.

{{!gwi}}

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

caroleoh ,

The stone on your fireplace is almost the exact same stone mine will be .
    Thank you so much for the picture . I am definately going to forgo the mantle .
    I really love the clean look of yours . Also my insert will be down near the floor
    just like your . Only difference is mine is a corner fireplace .

Oakleyok ,

I love your stone !

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

faymarie, We have a stone FP, The stones protrudes a lot... for years and years we didn't have a mantle. Finally about 3 or 4 years ago we made a mantle in oak.
    Then last summer I decided I wanted walnut, so he did it again! Hubby scribed it to fit the stone, and I love having a mantle. I looked and looked for photos before the mantle and can't find any on this computer.

You can always add a mantle later, by scribing it to the stone. You don't have to add the mantle now while building the FP, with the stone above and below it. So, take your time and decide later on.

Our mantle is free standing and I'm tossing around in my mind, as to whether
    I want brackets or leave it free standing.
    The under neith showing the scribing. Both top and botttom is scribed to the stone.

• epjem2_aol_com
    13 years ago

We just bought a house with a fireplace that is flush with the wall and surrounded by tile. Hung a picture over it that is about the same width, but it doesn't look right. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do as the wall looks blank.