Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

Help picking finishes for bathroom

sixkeys
10 years ago

I would love to get a fresh perspective on my powder room. It is pretty small, and many people have advised me to stick with all of the same metal finishes, but I am stubborn!

I am using oil rubbed bronze door knob and light fixture, that is a definite. I am trying to decide on the faucet, toilet handle and toilet paper holder. My bias against using ORB for the faucet is that I am worried about the longevity of the finish. My bias again using it for the toilet handle and toilet paper holder is that I don't really love how that looks on an individual basis. BUT, if the entire world thinks I should go all ORB then I will finally take the hint. :)

Here are the options that I am considering (the other metal would be chrome).

All ORB:

A mix of ORB and chrome:

The floor plan of the bathroom is in an L formation, with the sink and the toilet 90 degrees from each other.

Thanks so much!

Comments (14)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

There ain't nuttin' like good old chrome to look clean when it is clean and to be presentable even when it ain't clean.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I like chrome and wouldn't concern myself with matching all of those things. I could be fundamentally incapable of matching so many elements, LOL! I like the way mixed metals look and think light fixtures and door hardware can stand alone.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

My sister is going through the same thing. Neither of us are ORB fans. We have found that brushed nickle or satin nickle often has a warmer cast to it than chrome and it blends nicely with ORB.

You are right to be concerned about the ORB finish on the faucet. DD just bought a house that was 4 years old. The faucet that was used by the husband on a daily basis is in terrible shape. She is going to have to replace it. I do not know the brand, but it appears to be good quality. Yet, the finish has dulled and changed color in places.

• xoxogg
    10 years ago

I have oil rubbed bronze handles also. Love it, by the way.
    Also, have bronze faucets. I always dry it with the rag I clean my face with and I haven't had any problems. It makes me nervous though. It was existing. I wouldn't have picket it for faucets.

I put my toilet rolls on a standing holder (not screwed into the wall) and love it. I got it at target. I have had it over a year and no problems. Love target!

• xoxogg
    10 years ago

This is what I am talking about. I don't know if I am the only one but as my boys were growing up we had the toilet paper holders fall off the wall and then we would have a hole in the drywall and no where to put the toilet paper.

So, for the last 15 years I have used holders that are on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Target

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and ideas! Now I feel more confident in my decision that I don't have to match everything. Whew, I was feeling stress over that.

• fnmroberts
    10 years ago

rebecca3142 - The metal in our Powder Room is mixed. Selected brushed nickel for the faucet and door. The flush level and TP dispenser are chrome and the towel hook is aged copper. I've never heard that anyone even noticed they were different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Powder Room

• LE
    10 years ago

I like the mix you showed.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Nice to see an example. I suppose if I don't like how it looks, I can change it. It isn't like changing out an expensive countertop or backsplash. Would rather make the right decision from day 1 though.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I used to be all matchy matchy with my lights, fixtures, door knobs, and knobs or pulls on cabinetry. I'm learning it doesn't really matter too much. I'm using orb for lighting, chrome for faucets, towel bars, door knobs and brushed stainless for knobs on cabinets.

I like your second choice of course. It's going to be a very nice bathroom. :)

• dee42
    10 years ago

I'm curious -- I never seem to see chairs upholstered in black fabric or black with another color. My sofa is a camel colored leather and I'd like to pair it with black chairs, but wonder if it would be appropriate. Thanks for your answers.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I can understand not wanting all ORB, and I think the knob and the light fixture work together well. My problem is the ORB with the chrome...one is so rustic and antique, and the other is so modern and contemporary. Might I suggest going with another finish for the other hardware that isn't so high contrast with the ORB...maybe a brushed or satin nickel instead or even a brushed chrome...

• User
    10 years ago

dee42,

Might want to try to repost. Somehow your thread/post/question got tied into this thread.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie - thank you, that makes sense. I was thinking that chrome tied in the with the subway tile for a *slight* industrial look, but I am new to picking finishes so that might not be true! I am definitely going to consider the other metals that you suggested.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH