Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
execassistant

Queen Anne chairs, yes or no?

Debbie Laird
11 years ago

We moved into this house four years ago and I've been shopping for living room chairs, to replace the ugly recliner and rocking chair in front of our 10' window, since then. The living room is sunken, and the ceilings are 9' tall. As you can almost see in the photo, our love seat (and sofa) are approximately 36" tall. I have found Queen Anne Style Wing chairs ( spice) at Macy's. The chairs narrower than the recliner, but are 45" tall. Is that okay? The room is not as narrow as it appears in the photo.
I want to replace the trim as well, with oak trim, but I'm waiting to sneak that in when we remodel the master bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hillsboro Queen Anne

This post was edited by lodalady on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 21:28

Comments (7)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

When I clicked on the link I saw that the QA chairs are recliners. And that was the only question I was going to have for you -- whether a standard QA armchair would make a person happy who was accustomed to a recliner or glider. But you've got that covered.

As for the height, I think it's fine. QA chairs are tall, and most sofas are a bit lower in the back. They don't have to line up across the room like Rockettes. I think those chairs look comfortable, but give you a more tailored look. So I think they'll probably be just what you want.

If the usual user of the recliner is a man, he may want to sit in the QA chair to make sure it is long enough for him when reclined. My DH has very long legs and there are very few recliners that are long enough for him (or so he says).

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Why so many segments on the chair? What does the one on the back do? I think the wings on this one are not designed well in that they jut out rather than lay flat. The Andy, also displayed, seems to have better lines.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Andy does have good lines, but is a little more formal that I want and not as comfortable. When the Hillsboro is not reclined, it is a nice looking chair. My first choice was the Cherry Lane Club chair, any thoughts on it? Not loving the fabric, and hate ordering online without the chance to sit. Is it worth taking that chance?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Lane Club chair

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I had a chair similar to the Cherry Lane. It was very comfortable. But your recliner user is going to need an ottoman if you go with that chair.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

the styling of the hillsboro chair would not bother me at all--- just from the picture, it looks like a more comfortable chair than the andy to me(more cushioning?)... comfort would be much more impt to me than the segmented back!! (i'm assuming you've sat in it?)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I wasn't suggesting the Andy, just offering it up for comparison since it's picture was in the margin and readily available.

Wing chairs are used all the time in rooms with sofas, so if that's your question on back height, I wouldn't worry about it. We can't really see the room to see how the QA style blends in.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 12:19

• yayagal
    11 years ago

If you do buy them go to ebates.com and register, type in Macys and there's a six percent rebate. Click on the link and it will then take you Macys and the rebate will apply and then you get checks from Ebates. I do all my online shopping through ebates and get hundreds of dollars back.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022