Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madteaparty33

What window treatments would you put in this room? picture

madteaparty33
11 years ago

This was calld a breakfast room in the listing, but really we would be using it as a dining room (it is right off the kitchen) because the "formal" dining room will be a playroom for our kids. (forgive the linoleum--there's white oak on top of it now :)).I normally do not need window treatments and were it my choice, I'd merely remove what you see. But it is a weekend home and we need to be able to shut the drapes/shades/whatever for when we are not there (my husband insists). So, what would you use? Simple panels would be economical but I fear would overwhelm the windowns which are many but rather short. What would you do? Whatever treatment, it would stay open while we are there...

Comments (12)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Roller shades would be economical and you could have the entire window uncovered while you were in residence.

• camlan
    11 years ago

A lot depends on how you are furnishing/decorating the room.

But you could always do something like roller shades or the honeycomb shades that would pretty much disappear when they are opened, but would give the privacy that's desired when you aren't there.

Or I could see bamboo shades in that room. Or a Roman shade.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Shutters.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It depends on what your furniture looks like. I might try wood blinds- they only take up about two inches of window space when fully open. In this room I'd use white.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Hard to know what to do without knowing the rest of the style of the room, but I would go with roller shade or duettes behind a fabric valance, maybe a flat shaped valance with a trim. There's about a zillion varieties of those...the fabric, shape, trim and hardware can go in almost any direction.

You can do a google search on flat valance and see what comes up for ideas.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Not sure of your decor but I would either use roman shades or curtains and roman shades.

• madteaparty33
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone. There is no specific decor or style for this room: it will be painted hawthorne yellow, the hanging fixture stays( because my husband loves it, sigh), floor is medium brown hardwood, and there will be a famrhouse dining table and chairs in it. That's all. I like the idea of white wood blinds.

• bobtheblindguy
    11 years ago

I would go with white faux wood blinds. They hold up to moisture better than real wood and are more economically priced.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I would use white wood blinds. It is hard to tell from your picture, but you windows don't look very deep. You might try 1" instead of the 2" that is so commonly used - less weight. I have the 1" white Basswood from JCP on all my windows.

Do a search and look at Tinker_2006's windows. I think she started out with light, airy sheers and ended up going with white blinds - they looked great in her Florida home.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

White wood blinds. (or faux wood)

If you go for wider slats - like 3 inches, they actually look like shutters. If you don't like that look, then do two inches - nothing less.

We've had good luck with blinds.com -- and they will match prices if you find something less.

• fripper
    11 years ago

I'd do bamboo or woven wood shades. No one can see in them without the light being on and they're economical.

• designerguyjc
    11 years ago

Some woven woods you can see through if the weave is not tight so you might need to upgrade with a liner if privacy is your main goal. Although they look nice woven woods also have a relatively large stack when open compared to other options. Faux woods and roller shades will be the most economical. Google "top discount faux wood blinds" and you should find many options.