Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

sheesharee - What is that wire mesh you put on your cabinet?

Valerie Noronha
14 years ago

And where do I get it? Also, what procedure did your Dad use to install it? I recall a post from you about swaping out one of the panels in your kitchen cabinet with some type of wire mesh.

My DH thinks our electronics (PS3 namely) get overheated in our entertainment console. He said they need more ventillation out the front so we're looking to swap out the glass fronts with some type of wire mesh. I'd just as soon have limited visability into the cabinet anyway since looking at all the components is not really attractive.

Comments (8)

• dancingqueengw
    14 years ago

I would also love to know what this mesh was. i have a similar situation in a built in cabinet that has all of our electronics. I could melt chocolate on top of it it becomes so warm.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

I don't recall exactly what shee had, but Van Dyke Restorers is one place you can get decorative wire grilles. I'm sure others will chime in w/ additional resources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Dyke Restorers search result for

• User
    14 years ago

Hey Val! Yes, it was me. Saw Downsey did it to her kitchen and managed to find the same screen at Lowes for about $14 or so. It was in near the radiator covers. The brand was Steelworks and could be used for bbq grills or a cage etc. (don't think they had it online) I kept missing it because it was down along the side and is wrapped in cardboard. The size worked perfect but I wasn't sure at the time and they told me they could probably order a larger size if needed. There was one radiator cover design I liked but it was more flimsy. Since it was silver I spray painted it ORB.

Dad managed to keep the panel in one piece so I could put it back in later if I wanted. Not sure how it would look though. . I know you said you don't want glass but I could've and still could put glass behind it but figured it would be harder to clean around the diamonds. He had to shimmy it between and I'm not sure what the black stuff is around the edges. That wasn't very much info. on the installation so I can find out in more detail if you want. You can see more behind it than I thought. Dark items (in your case cords) aren't too bad though.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Island isn't finished. .
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    14 years ago

I was wrong on the name. Here's a pic I found on my computer. It's Sheetworks. The diamond patterend you see is the one I used. I saw the sign before I found the metal! I went to the Lowes associate and kept telling them they had to have it because of the picture. lol
    You can see the different radiator covers lined up and the steel piece was in cardboad hidden along the side.
    {{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jbrig: Thanks for the link to VanDyke restorers. It's like what I am thinking, though a tad pricy.

sheesharee: Thank you so much for all the detailed photos. We'll be sure to check at Lowes, though I'll need a wider size--about 17" across. That is a good idea to just spray it the color you want as well. I also like the ORB spray. Your Dad did a great job! No we won't be using glass since we need the ventillation out the front.

• allora
    14 years ago

Where do you buy ORB spray paint? Thanks.

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

I get Rustoleum Metallics ORB at Lowes, and Krylon Brushed Metallics ORB at Walmart.

• User
    14 years ago

Yep what Greenthumb said. I have both but like the Krylon better.

Here is a link that might be useful: sample colors in a blog