Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Part VIII: Before and After

KevinMP
11 years ago

The chairs were dropped off today (pretty quick turn around; six days). So, the room it about finished. I figured I'd post some before and afters. There's some painting left to do on the new columns in the pass through and the mantel, and I need to rearrange, etc. the stuff on my shelves, but it's close enough for you guys. Plus, you must have been anxious without all of the posting over the last week and a half. (Sorry about the pictures. My new camera is acting up and will have to be taken back. It is autofocusing wrong and things are blurry. The chairs do not look beige from a distance, you can tell they're plaid, but in some of these pictures they look solid.) I think the upholsterer did a hell of a job for $300 each. Enjoy.

Before:

{{gwi:1615235}}

{{gwi:1615236}}

{{gwi:1615237}}

{{gwi:1615239}}

After:

{{gwi:1611700}}

{{gwi:1611701}}

{{gwi:1615241}}

{{gwi:1615243}}

{{gwi:1611832}}

{{gwi:1615245}}

{{gwi:1615246}}

{{gwi:1615248}}

{{gwi:1615250}}

{{gwi:1615251}}

{{gwi:1615253}}

{{gwi:1615255}}

{{gwi:1615256}}

{{gwi:1592283}}

{{gwi:1615257}}

{{gwi:1615259}}

{{gwi:1615260}}

{{gwi:1615261}}

{{gwi:1615262}}

{{gwi:1615263}}

{{gwi:1615264}}

{{gwi:1615265}}

{{gwi:1615266}}

With the table set for four (leaves extend to accommodate 8 (two tapered legs swing down that are tucked beneath the table top):

{{gwi:1592285}}

{{gwi:1615267}}

{{gwi:1615268}}

{{gwi:1592284}}

And check out these pet covers he made me with the extra fabric:

{{gwi:1615269}}

{{gwi:1592286}}

This post was edited by KevinMP on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 21:31

Comments (49)

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fabulous!

• madtown_2006_gw
    11 years ago

Looks so very lovely. Great job!

• xoxogg
    11 years ago

Amazing. My favorite thing is the floors. And that rug. And the chandelier. And . . .

Are you done now and ready to enjoy your hard work?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Love it all! It looks great!

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Just brilliant!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I'm always impressed when I see rooms that combine different patterns using the same colours just like you did. (Secretly I'm jealous because I can't do it) I just think it's so neat the way you have the same colours in your picture, rug, upholstered chairs and the curtain fringe but the colours are presented in different ways and in different patterns. Very very cool. Love it.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Everything has come together beautifully, you must be so pleased with the result. I thought the room was fine before you began the project but the changes have dramatically improved the overall look. Your room was in tune before now it's truly harmonious.

The columns in the pass through were a great discovery and add just the right touch. From the photos they appear to share similar lines and proportions to the ones flanking the fireplace. A three week turnaround for the chairs is amazing. You've accomplished so much in such a short amount of time that I feel like a slacker.

Last week my son moved into a 900 sq. ft. rental in Northern Liberties that reminds me of your original home without the additions or decorative elements. There are 3 granite steps to the front door which opens to the 14x16 living area, the second floor has a large bath, laundry closet and room for a desk and armoire, the third floor is the bedroom. The kitchen is down one flight in the basement with an oddly recessed window well skylight which probably replaced the outside basement door. He's hoping the 3 flights will help keep him in shape. His staircase isn't winding but turned with a landing after the first 3 treads which made moving so much easier.

I'd show him your photos but I'm afraid it would depress him - he hasn't had time to unpack his boxes yet. Do you have another project lined up or are you going to relax and enjoy your accomplishments?

This post was edited by maire_cate on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 8:57

• dlfrun66
    11 years ago

Love it! Nice job.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

That looks Fabulous Dahhling. I still get a "merchant sea captain" feel to it which I love. Must be the age of the house and the blue colors and antiques. The elements of the room really make the table and chairs and fireplace and mantal stand out so nicely. Its elegant but cozy too, a combination I really like.

• anitamo
    11 years ago

I love it! Now what are you going to do? :)))

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Wow... Looks incredible?
    Doesn't it feel good to have it all finished?
    (how to you post multiple photos on here? Every time I try to do so, only the first photo of my selected photos show up. I'm using iPhoto... if that makes a difference)

Your home is delightful - and it's so nice that you enter and exit that space each day so you can constantly enjoy.

• kswl2
    11 years ago

I can't believe how fast you did the room! It looks great---

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

I think you did a wonderful job! I think your personality comes through; a conservative young guy with a definite sense of what he likes and wants. kudos!

• woodie
    11 years ago

What a beautiful room - you have done an outstanding job. I love your color choices and particularly the painting and how it brings in the colors of your entire room. But where does the kitty sit now that you've put a plate of fruits and veggies on his/her perch?

• porkandham
    11 years ago

It looks great!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Perfect.
    Excellent.
    Finished, tidy, well planned, both vibrant and restrained; uncluttered, yet welcoming and comfortable.

You're the poster child for disciplined editing.

Well done, you.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

Stunning!

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Perfect! I had forgotten how well the columns you added in the pass-through coordinated with the fireplace. Love the pet cover detail too. Thanks for sharing your journey with us and letting us participate.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Very nice! But, I have to be honest, I loved the Greek key mirror and the pattern and visual interest that the striped curtains added to the room -- paired with a traditional rug, they brought an eclectic sensibility to the room that speaks to me. I also loved the greenery/plants in the "before" room on the mantel that brought it to life. If this were my room, I might add some small plants or an orchid on the mantel. But both iterations of the room are lovely and it's a very charming space.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

• peegee
    11 years ago

Stunning-love it!!! ...And so what have you set your sights on now? My guess is that not having a project may be disquieting to you, or may be soon!!

• Irish2
    11 years ago

I have been religiously following your postings regarding this room makeover. You have a great eye and know how to make everthing tie together. Kudos to you, KevinMP!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Looks Amazing. I love it all. :) Those columns were a ridiculously perfect find.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Wonderful, Kevin. You have certainly created a wonderful area.

• teeda
    11 years ago

I love it all. Elegant and refined, yet warm, cozy and very inviting. Your china is lovely as well. I would love to enjoy a leisurely dinner in front of the fire in that room!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Kevin, I can't comment on the chairs because I just see the beige but your room is beautiful, comfortable and I'm sure the chair fabric looks fabulous in person.

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

Looks like they did a nice job on the chair. It looks great in your room!

Would please share what color is on your walls? Thanks!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

So which upholsterer did you use? That is quite a bargain for such good work.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I used Modern Craft (used to be in fabric row, but it moved across the river to NJ), but they still pick up and deliver (for an extra $20 on each end). The toll alone is $5 per trip, so that's still reasonable. The place was recommended by one of the fabric places on the row.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I think I am officially (unofficially) finished with my projects. My contractor finished the plaster work in the canopy room and closet this afternoon, so I will be painting that tonight. You guys will like that change to the canopy room and closet once you see it (if you've been following, you know what I'm talking about).

And then I am just waiting for my new leather chair for the living room, which should be in within a week or so. Then, done!

I'm taking this camera back, so I'll see if I can take some better photographs tonight because it's easy to tell the chairs are plaid from far away, but it's hard for cameras to pick it up because of focusing.

• threeapples
    11 years ago

You really did a great job. What a gorgeous room!

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

I'm not trying to be a jerk but do you read what people write?

I've asked a few times now about your paint color. Would you please be kind enough to share the info?

• loribee
    11 years ago

Sweeeet !
    Don't you love how the chairs just seem to make the floors pop?? Great choice~

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, sheesharee. I've posted about it so many times, I just thought you'd figure it out. It's Pratt & Lambert Accolade in the "velvet" finish in Wythe House Gray (historic Williamsburg color).

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the wrap-up thread. I love the way the room turned out. You accomplished so much in such a short time. I know you will enjoy sitting back and enjoying your efforts.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Kevin, when you first showed this room, I thought it was perfect. Now, I must admit I was wrong. Looking at the before and after, I just can't believe that it was possible to make such a huge improvement, but you certainly did it! I absolutely agree with everyone else. I am in awe of what you accomplished. Love the chairs (and the pet covers are such a nice bonus from your upholsterer). The mantel is now perfect. The chandelier is wonderful and on and on. Thanks for including all of us in your adventure.

"I love it! Now what are you going to do? :)))"-anitamo, maybe, if we are REALLY good, Kevin will visit us and work his magic on our spaces! I am wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin', plannin' and dreamin'...

:)

• Sheeisback_GW
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I'm not on GW much anymore and haven't followed your posts. I didn't realize it was asked so much, sorry. I get it though. I've had a few posts where I kept repeating the same things over again and it became frustrating after a while.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

You did a splendoriferospectacular job.
    I hope you like your pass-through because I think it is 100% improved.
    Now, we gotta work on those shelves when we get untired.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Great work Kevin. The upholsterer did a great job also. Did you find a place for the Greek key mirror yet? Love a happy ending!!

• livvyandbella
    11 years ago

So lovely! Very warm!

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Kevin- Thanks for mentioning the upholsterer. I'll add them to my file, especially since they are now on my side of the river.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Very nice! As you know I was in the larger check/transitional dark navy or muted burnt coral color check category. However, we have different tastes and your version is a keeper :)

• choclot
    11 years ago

I'm with pipdog,

While your after looks great, I *ADORE* your before. It's fab; the eclectic style is right up my alley and the exact balance I'm trying to strike in my home.

May I ask where you got your striped window panels (if you remember)? They're great and I'm hoping to find a yellow/white striped pattern. That before rug is pretty fab; I hope you've given it a new place in your home.

I wish you lived near me...I'd be stalking CraigsList for your "before" stuff! LOL

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I love it, I just love it.

I think the decor shows should have these kind of before and afters, instead of the crazy, extreme type they always feature, you know ... it really demonstrates the difference between a nice room and a great room.

Seeing these types of things reminds me why I should use professionals more. I can probably do a room like your before but I don't think I could do your after ...

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The panels from the before are not striped. They are buffalo check/plaid silk in black and gold. You can get them anywhere that sells buffalo check/plaid dupioni silk. They're usually pretty expensive ($300 or so). I bought mine at Tuesday Morning seven years ago.

I liked my room before, too, but it wasn't right for the house (IMO), and the table was not practical for me. I love the way it looks now, even from outside at night.

I need to work on the damn shelves. I'll probably post some pictures of all of the crap I have tomorrow to solicit opinions on what should go on the shelves.

Thanks, mtnrdredux, but I am no professional. Just got lucky finding some things, have access to a lot because of the area around here, and was fortunate to have mostly good advice from some of you all.

• nancyaustin
    11 years ago

So handsome and elegant! Every step you made was in the right direction. The lines of the new mirror are more sophisticated and refined. The columns give a finished look to the opening. The fabric is perfect and I am so impressed by the accurate matching of the plaid. Hope you find the hurricane shades, which will glisten and add the finishing touch to the mantel. Ebay has many Blenko & Royal Leerdam hurricanes that you'd appreciate. Kudos to you and please keep posting the evolution of your beautiful home.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I added an orchid today (real) in a coral-ish orchid pot. Supposedly this variety may be able to grow with the indirect afternoon light it will get through the front window for a few hours a day. We'll see about that.

I also repotted the birds nest fern into the bullseye planter/vase so it's not so high, and used the upright one for the staghorn fern in the canopy room. I think that's better.

{{gwi:1615271}}

{{gwi:1615272}}

{{gwi:1615274}}

{{gwi:1615276}}

{{gwi:1615277}}

This post was edited by KevinMP on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 20:08

• nancyaustin
    11 years ago

Nice finishing touches!

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Looks really, really good! Our shop is typically littered w/ antique pieces such as yours that are waiting to be refinished and/ or repaired. Rarely do I ever get to see them in the clients home except as a rare treat when my husband really wants to show me the persons entire home. Usually because we've done so many pieces for them that he wants me to see the 'whole'. It's always such a treat to get to see a home lovingly filled w/ antiques.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Love the addition of the plants, the orchid. Adding God's art to your choices only improve the looks of each room.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists