Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

Help Finish my Living Room Design

ms222
11 years ago

Hey guys, need some help here, I have a living room space that is not very wide, only 12 feet and don't want too much going on that will block the passage through it. Attached is the barcelona chairs and cow rug I have put in the space (disregard the big symbol in the marble, that will be removed and matching marble put in).

Help me finish this seating area in the living room...what type and color of seating should I put across from the barcelona chairs (no room for sofas and too bulky). Also any recommendations on what style coffee table (round glass?)

Lastly should I put a standing floor lamp to the side near the window and have it hang over the coffee table?

Comments (13)

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

I personally do not see why you could use a contemporary love seat, (some thing like the link shown below) across from the white seats without sacrificing too much space. Without arms on it, it still creates a sense of more room. Then a rectangular glass coffee table between the two seating components.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You think black would be nice to stand out and provide some contrast? My dining room is right near this area and is a glass rectangular table with chrome base and side chairs are white and at the heads ghost chairs with arms.

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

You could also pair the Barcelona daybed. Is there room to push the chairs back and cover the decal with the rug? If you're keeping the cow print, black makes sense.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

And old LR of mine was 12' wide, and we used a loveseat coming out from the wall. You have plenty of room for one. If you plan on spending a lot of time in there, you need something to relax on, especially for a LR.

• sumac
    11 years ago

pick one of the colors from that beautiful painting on your wall and put it on a loveseat.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

What is on the wall opposite the front door that we can't see from the picture...is that a fireplace? Or shelving?

Do you use the room for TV watching or just sitting....will you need to keep feeding the pet in the space?

Is this a warm climate? Or will you need a place for coats and such?

It looks like the big window looks out front...do you need to cover them for privacy?

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for some of the ideas..I just got thecow rug so its staying, the marble logo will be removed soon. When you walk in the front door on the wall you can't see is white square shelving. I will feed the dog in a new space and use the area just for when guests come over as
    the dining room is adjacent and the family room only has a couch for four.

I live in Florida so warm climate. The front windows do need privacy but I live in a quiet street. Eventually those will be covered with hunter Douglas silhouette.

Any other ideas showing pictures of exactly what may work well. Budget is also a concern would like the piece to be less than $500.

Should I put a floor lamp for style?

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I don't know what your budget is, but the Swan Sofa is also available in light blue fabric, which would pull from the painting:
    {{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I don't know your budget, but the Swan Sofa is also available in a light blue fabric, which is similar to the painting:
    {{!gwi}}

And the Platner Coffee table is a favorite of mine:
    {{!gwi}}

Although if you want to avoid the look of Icon fixation, you could go with something less well known like the Eva Zeisel table
    {{!gwi}}

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Maybe two Mies v. d. Rohe Brno (style) chairs in black. Or perhaps a Corbusier style chaise? Or love seat?
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/LC-de-Petite-Leather-Loveseat/2587566/product.html

Here is a link that might be useful: chaise

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Do the Barcelona chairs back to the dining area? if so, I'd flip it all. Put the B. chairs nearer the door, where you were planning to put a love seat/bench. Put a love seat where the chairs are now, and put a Danish Modern or contemporary credenza/buffet behind it, facing into the dining room. You may have to scooch the LR vignette toward the door to leave ample room in the DR, but I think it would work. You can put a nice lamp or lamps on the credenza and use them to define the separation of the DR and LR. Then a chunky coffee table that sits on the ground, since most of the other things are airy and up on legs.

But it just struck me . . . do you have the ottomans for the B. chairs? If so, just place them in there, perhaps with colorful throws or pillows on top. That will give you an idea how different set-ups will work.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I am thinking black for any upholstery in the overall palette may be a little harsh. I would keep it fairly light in this case.