Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flatten area rugs???

Posted by chueh (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 20:37

I don't where which forum would fit my question. I just tried this one...

Because of weight of the furniture, my area rugs have been buckled up with ripples. Even after I removed the furniture, the ripples are staying. How can I flatten area rugs?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flatten area rugs???

Mine did the same thing, so I had my boys 'walk' the carpet out to flatten the ripples and then I stapled the rug to my floor. No more ripples. :)

You can also use double sided tape to stick it down. They make a tape specifically to seam carpets so if you can get that tape that would be good, if not, just get strong double sided tape.

o
rippled rugs

oops, I should have said I just put one staple in each of the corners. It's holding it down and it doesn't slide either.

o

You're asking how to remove the ripples as well as how to prevent them in future? If you don't have boys to walk it, you can try your clothes steamer. That will help relax the rug and with a bit of time and tugging, the rug should go flat again.

o

If you don't have a pad under it, then add one. Our rug initially had slight rippling when it was first installed (over carpet), and we expected the weight of it would get that out eventually, but it didn't. We contacted the rug company and were told to add a pad. That completely took care of the problem.

o

Sujafr - what kind of pad did you use?

I have this issue with my area rug as well. DH thinks the pad that has adhesive will ruin the carpet underneath. (and he'd flip out if I tried to staple it!)

Jennifer

o

Our LR rug is a Capel, and we bought a pad that appears to be about 1/4-3/8 inch thick and looks to be some type of extremely heavy felt/wool with a thin layer adhered to the top made of some material that is somewhat rough (better for clinging to the rug backing, I suppose). We bought it through the Capel distributor in our area. Funny that I never really looked at it closely until you asked. It's not the foam material that I've seen used for pads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here