Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee table conversion from glass to another material?

Posted by ottertail (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 20:29

I am looking for ideas or someone's experience with replacing glass inserts in a coffee table with some other material. In AZ the glass tops are ALWAYS dusty. The glass pieces are four curved triangle pieces.

Has anyone done this. I was thinking of tile, slate, tile, or leather.

Ideas and outcome?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee table conversion from glass to another material?

??

Won't anything still be dusty, unless you eliminate the dust?

o

Do you have a picture of the coffee table? You could maybe turn it into an ottoman depending on the shape. Add some foam, dacron wrap and staple fabric around. I've seen this done on a few blogs.

"Won't anything still be dusty, unless you eliminate the dust?"
It will still be dusty but you won't see it as much depending on what you do.

o

Here are a couple of photos. I realize that dust would still be on the surface but not so noticiable when the sun shines into the room. I could dust this every hour and it would still look dusty!
Photobucket
Photobucket
[IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m116/ottertail_2006

o

I think the only thing that would look ok in that ornate table would be some light colored marble. You'd need it to be very thin, though, the same thickness as the glass, so it might be difficult to find that.

Check with stone masons and tile places to see if they can custom cut for that size. I can't think of anything else that would work.

o

How about a contrasting wood with an interesting grain? A furniture refinisher or good carpenter could probably do it. (I can't picture tile at all...and slate seems too "rustic" for that ornate table).

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Woods

o

Wood insets although the finish may be difficult to match; stone insets, or leather covered insets. You can get leather or faux leather table top material in some woodworking/furniture making catalogs.

o

What a beautiful table. I would hate to change it....would a small round peice of cloth or a doily of some kind to cover the top be feasible? Or a round tray of some kind to put on top to cover most of the glass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here