Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installation of roman shades on steel door

Posted by LRy511 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 20:26

Has anyone installed roman shades on a steel door? I will be making roman shades for a steel door in my bathroom. The last shade I had on the door was attached to a magnetic rod and it was a disaster. It kept falling down. I had been poking around and found that you can install a 1x2 mounting board using sheet metal screws then attach the shade via Velcro to the board. Has anyone done this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installation of roman shades on steel door

I have wood blinds on my steel door. I don't think this is a problem.
Use a fresh drill bit designed for steel to predrill your holes. Buy an extra bit or two. I think I broke one, maybe two doing this.

o

Kathymichigan, thanks that will help. Did you use sheet metal screws? Or regular screws?

o

Yep...use sheet metal or self tapping screws. But if you use a 1X2 board you will need a very long screw. Better to use a 1X1. You can also screw small "L" brackets to the door first and rest the board onto the the brackets and screw the bracket to the board.

o

I just clear caulked the magnetic brackets onto the doors. You have to pay attention for a few minutes - to push them back into place if they slip, but it doesn't take long for them to hold. Mine have been up for two years now and are still going strong. HTH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here