Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sconway11324

Decorating with Brown and Black -- any pictures?

sconway11324
13 years ago

I have spent over 10 years decorating my home. My master bedroom is still not done. At first, I could not settle on colors and I really have not found an inspiration picture that both DH and I could agree on. I tend to like the Baker clean and crisp look and he likes very traditional and busy stuff.

I have a very large room (about 19x21) and 9 windows! MY bed set is a Cherry wood four poster bed with matching nightstands, dresser and high boy from lexington. I would love to change it but DH will not budge-- our first purchase when we got married 23 years ago! I also have a beautiful writing desk, two Ethan Allen Queen Anne chairs and ottoman from our previous home that needs new fabric.

I am finally set on a color scheme but can't seem to execute it. I want a combination of creams, browns, and black. The problem is that anything with black tends to be either too modern or too stark. Anything with brown tends to have light blues/greens which I like but could not live with it for too long; just not my favorite, too feminine for my taste.

Anyone has pictures of this type of combination? I got tired of the old white builders wall so I painted them brown (Behr Hazelhurst 3A10-5) and the ceiling a lighter tone (Behr, Macadamia 3A10-3). This added some color. I have lived with this color for 3 years so I know I want browns.

Can anyone help? I will post pictures if anyone can tell me how.

many thanks

Comments (15)

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Right now, the only pictures that I have are in my mind's eye. With brown walls and dark mahogany furniture, I see cream colored bed linens, with a black/cream/white folded quilt at the bottom of the bed. Artwork framed with large white borders and thin black frames. I'd use textural black/white on the chairs (maybe hounds tooth or herringbone) and make the ottoman the wild card -- something unexpected, and probably a color unrelated to your primary choices.

Photos would definitely help. You can upload photos to the site below pretty easily, and then copy and paste the HTML code into the message area here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny Pic

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Not what's in my mind's eye, but you never know what element in a photo might inspire:

• sconway11324
    Original Author
    13 years ago

got it. I am having problems with my picture software - its crashing. let me fix and will post.

• sis3
    13 years ago

This is ours. The metal accents are ORB but could easily be black.

• kayec28
    13 years ago

I just came across a house tour on Apartment Therapy last night that features an Alabama Coastal Cottage. The whole house has been done in brown, black and white/natural colors. The house is more rustic/cottage-y than modern in feel, so there may be something useful here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama cottage

• ajm7658
    13 years ago

Oh, my!! I love everything about the Alabama Coastal Cottage! It's absolutely gorgeous.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Check out Restoration Hardware catalogue which is online. All of their rooms have that combination.

• sconway11324
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sis3, your wall color resembles mine and you have the same tones of wood and french doors to bathroom. I painted my ceiling a lighter shade so it does not have that beautiful contrast with the white. I guess the difference is that my room is a bit more colonial - and maybe this is why I am having such a hard time.

bluemoon28 - I felt the pictures calling me. I was born and raised in the caribbean so coastal/west indies style always bring me home. But, I am in Colonial VA trying to keep with the feel of my house. I have an eclectic look but it is definitely transitional/traditional.

I would post pictures but I realized that I do not have any pictures of my room and I forgot that my DH took the digital camera with him to Dallas (yes, he is at the Superbowl). So, as soon as he gets back, I will post pictures. I am really trying to have the mood that I have in my library (my favorite room - this pic I have so I will post so that you all can see my style)

I hope the pictures are shown!

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

Here is one place that has some images that you might enjoy browsing. You can also do a search at Houzz.com and find more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decor Pad

• sconway11324
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks forhgtv. I got some pictures for inspiration but not necessarily from bedrooms (it is never that easy).
    I know i have not loaded my pictures but let's see if I can make a translation from these pictures.

How about zebra pattern for the ottoman? (if I keep the 2 queen anne chairs and ottoman). If so, what would be an adequate color for the QA chairs?
    I also might move my writing desk next to the bed so as not to have 2 matching nightstands.

And I might repaint so I add contrast between walls?

I like the curtains to be lighter - maybe cream but they must have large pattern since I have 8 windows next to each other and they must be operational -- I like total darkness. I currently have blinds but that was just temporary.

I'll post pictures of my room tomorrow night.

• pcweary
    13 years ago

sis3...what color paint is on your bedroom walls?
    It is a good neutral for blacks, reds, etc.

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

Not mine but I love this look.

• sis3
    13 years ago

pcweary the color is Benjamin Moore's #1033 'Hillsboro Beige'.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Since several of you liked their house, they have a blog - The Lettered Cottage. She changes the look all the time. Those pictures are fairly old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• teacats
    13 years ago

Another possible inspiration photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoebe Howard -- bedroom