Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you call this light?

Posted by writersblock (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 20:14

Moorish? Spanish revival? The shape is kind of 20s chinoiserie, too. It must date from the 20s or early 30s. Personally I'd prefer a plain old pan chandelier or a batwing if I wanted something period, but a friend is very taken with this, and it did just come out of a cottage in the neighborhood where she's looking to buy.

But the more I look at it, the less I know what it is, other than pre-Deco/post-Nouveau.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you call this light?

It looks Moroccan to me....

o

Thanks, Annie. Anyone else have any familiarity/ideas with anything like it?

o

Looks like it belongs in a silent film star's house. It really has that old Hollywood glamor Spanish thing going. Totally '20s LA. Sunset Boulevard!

(yeah I like it! But I don't know what it's called. I think you have the period correct, though.)

o

Thanks, fori. It must have been a big stretch financially for anyone owning the house it came from--would love to know where they found it. I've looked through some old GE lighting catalogs and it isn't there.

Ah well. I saw a listing for a table on ebay that settled for describing it as Hispano-Moorish and I guess that's what this would be, too. Would be fun if we could track down a couple of sconces to coordinate.

o

Take a look here...they also sell sconces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moroccan lights

o

Thanks, Annie. That's a handy resource to have, although I was thinking more of something from the same period. But if nothing shows up, there were a couple there that might work, since they wouldn't be in the same room with the chandelier.

For some reason having some vintage lighting (even if not original to the house) really cranks up the resale value on these, especially to the people who will immediately put in can or track lighting. I guess it's a humbler version of the mentaility that creates things like a Henrybuilt kitchen with a Glenwood range languishing in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here