Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicoryflower

Favorite Whites/Off-whites?

chicoryflower
16 years ago

I don't know if such a thread exists, but I'm looking for off-whites and whites.

Can I see yours?

(if anyone knows of such a thread already, can you plop it in? I couldn't find one)

Comments (23)

• kellymamom
    16 years ago

I used BM Simply White on all of our trim and cabinets. I really like it a lot.

{{!gwi}}

Kelly

• chicoryflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kelly, I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN! That floor! Those countertops! That wall color!

Can you tell me more?

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

We just painted our downstairs guest bedroom (beadboard, dresser & rocker) in Pure White by Sherwin Williams. It sure brightened up that dark room!

• kellymamom
    16 years ago

Chicoryflower,

Thanks!! The floor is Vermont black slate, countertops are Lumber Liquidators Cherry Butcherblock finished with 6 coats of waterlox and the walls are painted with BM Louisburg Green.

Kelly

• chicoryflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen, just beautiful! I'm so happy my daughter is going girly and wants a sort of modern take on shabby chic for her room. I get to do cabbage roses and pink! Yippee!

Kelly, thanks for the details... that green is just beautiful with the cherry butcherblock. I love the floors - I gotta go show DH.

• clubcracker
    16 years ago

No pics, but I had a room in Cameo White in my first house, and Cream in my second (both BM whites) and they were lovely, warm, cream-yellowy tones. Nice contrast with natural or white woodwork.

Mary

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

chicory: I second Simply White. Very nice, creamy and pure white.

Kelly: Beautiful kitchen! How are those countertops for daily use? I was just thinking earlier today that I'd love wood countertops, but I was unsure.

• kellymamom
    16 years ago

organic smallhome,

We've had no problems so far with the counters, but we have only had them for about 4 months. Nothing seems to stain them and we're not real careful. We are really happy with the price we paid ($329 for 12 feet) and the look we got for so little money.

Kelly

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Chicory, BM Linen White is a nice off-white. I don't have a picture, but I have it in part of my basement with stained woodwork and it is a nice and warm.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

There have been several threads about whites but you know that dern search engine...I do remember this one from last month though.

I have Restoration Hardware's The Right White and love it. Very Crisp without being harsh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picking Whites

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

We just finished all of our trim in our new home with BM's acadia and I LOVE IT!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I've used Ralph Lauren "Startched Apron" in so many homes I can't count it. The color looks a bit dingy when you see the tiny sample, but what it really is, is a soft white with a hint (just a hint) of a pink to it, so it looks fabulous with colors like green, pink, tan, brown, red, etc. I just love this paint and can't quite quit using it in our homes :)

• chicoryflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Igloo. How's Baltimore?

Anybody have pictures of these?

I have a few of the whites mentioned here in my house, but they're getting a little tired and I wonder what they look like new.

Polkadots, I love BM linen white!

Clubcracker, I have cameo in the LR, but the PO went nuts doing different paints on different surfaces... I've matched 5 so far in that room. It's nuts.

• OKMoreh
    16 years ago

Sherwin-Williams Dover White. It is faintly golden but will read as white next to anything except white.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Chicory...I'm sure you've seen pics of my house before but here's the RH The Right White

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I like SW Navajo White for off-white walls (not BM, it's too gray) and plain ol' off-the-shelf white-white for trim. We used white-white for trim in the previous house and it worked well with everything because it had no undertones of anything. I had the Navajo White with plain builder-white trim in the rental house. I neglected to take pictures of the actual decor in that house so I only have it appearing in the backgrounds in pictures of my critters! Here's one - ignore the mess as we were beginning to pack to move, and do your best to look past the two cuties...

Our current house has antique white on the trim and, no insult intended to those who have it and like it, I think it looks like dirty, yellowed old white oil paint.

• chicoryflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindybarts... OOOH, nice dining room! I love your barley twists. : )

Mari, two cuties indeed. Is that a Norwegian Elkhound (the furry one)? So what brand of Navajo is that?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I like to pick out whites from the display cards that show all the whites at one time so I can see the undertones of each one. I tend to prefer whites that have a neutral undertone although they will read as white, of course. I don't like whites that have a blue or gray undertone much.
    You really can't tell the undertones unless you see them all at once.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

bumblebeez, I am like you that I like to see all the whites together and I do not like whites with a gray or blue undertone. I really love the Simply Whites shown in these pics. I used SW Extra White on my trim and love it.

• littledog
    16 years ago

Piping up from the Peanut Gallery with the cheap-o stuff: Walmarts' Colorplace #95181 Paperwhite. Sorry no mid day pictures of it, but here it is late afternoon...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• acla
    16 years ago

I used Belgium Lace by ICI Paints on my trim and I like it. It's more of a true white as opposed to a creamy white. ICI has the same colors as Glidden.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Chicory, that's Sherwin-Williams, and the dog is a Keeshond. Same family as the Elkies, but about a third smaller and rather fluffier. Or at least they are when they're not in DIRE need of a bath and you're still trying to find a good groomer who has half a clue about double-coated long-haired dogs (our old one is now an hour away and when they want the dog there at 7am... ugh!). LOL

• buffymichelle
    16 years ago

Hi, really like Benjamin Moore "Feather Down" (have it in LR, DR and hallways) and "Amelia Brown" (kitchen, FR and MBR, it's not brown at all). The previous owners of the house selected these colors and I liked them so much that we touched up the FR and kitchen paint and repainted hallways with these colors.

In the past, we've used BM "Linen White", before we put our previous home on the market, we had the interior repainted with this color, and in our coop apartment, BM "Camoe White" and "Swiss Coffee".

Michelle

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus