Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

How shall I frame/display these botanical prints plus other art?

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

A few months ago I purchased some botanical prints from eBay with the idea I could display them in my living room or dining room. I have a set of 4 larger prints (9" x 11.5") and a set of 2 smaller prints (6.5" x 10") that also have a descriptive page about each print. The larger ones are copies of prints from a botanical book and the smaller ones are actually pages from a botanical book.

Here they are:

{{!gwi}}

I'd like some suggestions for framing that don't involve an arm and a leg. Should I use matting? If so what kind/color to show them off to their advantage. I do have a couple of other pieces in the dining room with an ivory matting. Does all the matting need to be the same in the room?

For the smaller ones, should I include the descriptive page or attach that to the back?

As for frames many of the existing frames in this room are a gold/gilt so was thinking to stick with that, though perhaps a less ornate style for the larger ones.

For groupings I was wondering if I should group the 4 larger ones all together on a wall (perhaps to the left of the fireplace) or do a set of 2 and another set of 2 (flanking the sideboard?)

Tomorrow I am finally going to pick up this painting from CL which I plan to put over my mantle (with accent lights):

{{!gwi}}

In addition, I picked up two more smaller ones (one framed, one unframed). Temporarily one is over the mantle, but that will move. I was thinking perhaps one on either of the short walls in my living room or one opposite my entry. The unframed one is really not very good quality. I picked it up at an estate sale for $2 (price was right) so don't want to feature it too much, but the other one of the two ladies is beautiful, but obviously too small for the mantle.

{{!gwi}}

Here are a copy of smaller pics I have in the dining room. I think they are too close together and I should move them apart a few inches, but perhaps they should go elsewhere?:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I know I need more artwork for the walls which will evolve over time, but I would really like to put up what I have so far. Suggestions are most welcome!

Comments (36)

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

val
    I just started same project w/some lovely botanicals I purchased - problem is it is difficult to do this inexpensively - from what I have come across they would be nicely suited in a simple gold thin frame - an 11 x14 would work w/mine - still have not found the frames - I'd rather not do the custom frame route - esp given a 11 x14 will work. however more than likely you will need to do a custom mat - that's where the cost goes up!!

I wouldn't frame them w/o a mat - I think it wouldn't do the artwork justice -

good luck -

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jejvtr: Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking for the larger ones, wouldn't a 9x11 opening be standard? I don't mind loosing 1/2" if I can keep it standard. For the smaller ones, you can see the edges where they were bound. I was actually brainstorming if I could put both sheets side-by-side on a backing (where the backing would fit a standard sized frame) and then the edges would show. Perhaps alternate the order (one would be pic-description other would be description-pic). I don't know much about how to display, though I do know that the real ones from pages of a book go for much more than the copies--so perhaps the book edges should show?

Would love any other suggestions or pics of anyone else's arrangement of botanical prints.

I'm going to hunt around online to see if there are any places that sell the matting. Before I've usually purchased at Aaron Bros or Michaels, but always have problems finding enough quantity of the same kind of matting. If I do need to do a custom framing, I was thinknig I could do one at a time and use the coupons that both places routinely give out that are like 40-50% off.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

Val,

In your travels to estate sales have you come across any pictures in frames in which you liked the frames and not the pictures? Have you thought about collecting frames and using them for your botanical collection? Just an idea.

I used Michaels for custom framing in the past with a 50% coupon and have come to realize that there may not be that great of a difference in pricing from a frame shop. Some can may disagree but that has been experience. I did not do this time around but I think if you go into frame shops and set a certain $$ amount you may be surprised at what is offered. Maybe worth a try.

I am totally amazed at your great finds from CL and estate sales.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Val,

I also have several botanicals that I need to have framed. I don't know of an inexpensive way to do it, but I have had framing done in the past using the Michael's coupon with good results.

I was trying to decide what type of frames to use last week, and I came across the link below. The author gives good info about hanging art in general and about how to frame different types of art. She suggests white mats so prints can be moved from room to room, and gold or black frames. There is also another link referenced in that article which talks about botanicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Accents Art and Framing Article

• deeinohio
    16 years ago

I had a set of 30's Indian prints I wanted to frame for our cabin, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. I was able to buy ready-made black frames at Hobby Lobby at 50% off, have the mats cut by the employees there (really nominal cost of a couple of dollars, and you can choose from a wide range of colors they have), then they put the whole thing together free, with hooks on the back and all. I think I had 10 prints done for about 150 or so.

• badin
    16 years ago

If you have a Home Goods store nearby, you might check their preframed art. I've had good luck buying several matted and framed prints on clearance, then removing the original prints and substituting my own. In one case, their frame came without a nice mat, so I had one cut at Hobby Lobby for a very reasonable price. Clearance prices for 18X24 and 24X30 framed prints at Home Goods, TJ Maxx and Ross have been around $18 - $32, so even with buying new mats and sometimes using a little Rub n' Buff on the frames, they've been good deals.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I agree about (first) trying Aaron Brothers or Michaels to look for a frame and pre-cut mat. (I'm a big fan of Aaron Brothers and only wish they had them in my state! I used to use the one on El Camino in Redwood City a lot.)

For many of the pieces I frame I use Picture Frames. I love this site, Val! I think they are unbelieveably priced and you can buy the frame / matting / glass or acrylic bundled together, so you don't have to figure out every little measurement (although you can also do it separately if you like). You can also get the matting separately (you don't have to purchase a frame / acrylic, etc.) at fabulous prices. For that you would have to determine the inner cut of your mat but they have a v. helpful (and easy-to-follow) guide to figure that out.

If you're going to be hanging them en masse then I'd like to suggest using an ivory mat (or an ivory linen border). That seems to be the only common denominator as their greens are all different. If you're going to be hanging them separately, well, I wouldn't recommend that. I think botanicals gain their importance when grouped together.

I would not have the descriptions framed -- put them on the back of the frame for future reference.

You are doing such a great job in putting your beautiful spaces together! I'm so excited for you.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

texasjana: The article was very informative. Thanks for posting the link.

What wonderful suggestions. I will definitely check ot Hobby Lobby in addition to Aaron Brothers and Michaels. Never thought of buying a matted print at Home Goods and just swapping out the picture. What a fabulous idea, though not sure if it'll work for my prints or not. Suonds like the cost for a custom mat at Hobby Lobby is not too expensive so think I'll try that route first.

rmkitchen: I'm going to check that link you posted for Picture Frames. That also sounds like just what I need so can price out there first. I also like the idea of grouping them--the four all together (two by two) on a more blank wall and the other two together. Any recommendations for thickness of the matt border--which I guess that in turn dictates the frame size.

Regarding the other art, I picked up the picture today. Boy is it big! Or maybe I'm just so used to the bare walls..... Not sure if it'd look better over the mantle or the piano, though I still lean towards the mantle. We have the spot lights already installed so that is really a focal point. Here it is:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• DYH
    16 years ago

These botanicals (1800s) were custom framed. Double silk mats, etc. It took 12 weeks to have it done. Price was over $700 for the three to be framed and my DH just about had a heart attack. We do love them, though! :-)

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Val -- the "rule of thumb" about mat sizes is 2" - 3". When you place your yardstick next to your prints you should get a good feel about what you like. However, if you find great frames (at a great price, I mean!) which are, let's say, 11" x 14" or 12" x 16," then just have the mat fill the void.

This ready-made frame from Picture Frames in 11" x 14" is $17.56. The 9" x 12" (for your smaller prints) is $15.16. This thought just occurred to me: I think if I were getting 9" x 12" frames for the smaller prints then I'd get the 12" x 16" (at least) for the larger prints, to keep things consistent. So I just went to look and the 12" x 16" is $18.16.

I also really like these frames for your botanicals .... (They have an antique white mat included over a thin gold mat. It looks pretty, I think.)

Your new painting looks wonderful over your mantel! It's new to you which is why it looks too large, but I think that wall needs it. You did good!

• cran
    16 years ago

Your prints are beautiful, so are wonbyherwits. Mine are actually prints from a calendar that I've had for along time. I did as badin suggested and found frames at Homegoods on sale I think I paid $12.00 each and then got my own mats. The backs are a mess where I took them apart and put them back together again, but the fronts aren't. I'm trying to send you a pic but when I go to photoshop and go to copy I don't get the picture up. I thought I could copy the tag, but its not there any more. Any suggestions on how to copy. Thanks

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wonbyherwits: Those are lovely. My DH would have a heart attack too if I told him I wanted to spend so much on framing these ones!

cran: I done that in the past also--framed calendar prints. You need to upload your photos to photobucket.com and then you can copy the HTML code line into your message to include yours pics.

rmkitchen: I like those last ones that you posted, but I am not sure how to order the correct size for my prints. When they say enter the size of the artwork they just list the standard sizes. I assume this is for the opening in the mat; but then the frame is bigger. Wouldn't I need a custom mat? Also, if I stick with a non-custom frame then for the 9x11.5 prints going into a 12x16 frame the top/bottom would be slightly thicker than the sides. Does that look OK?

Wonder if anyone else thinks my mantle painting is too large. I think DH does because he just said hold off on mounting it. Perhaps when I balance out the adjacent walls with smaller artwork it wont look so overwhelming as it does now.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'm a little unfocused right now for the botanicals (like the absent-minded professor -- although I'm not teachin' anything! :) but I do love that table by the fp. Seems to work verrry well. The scale looks great and the corner furniture complete. I'd love to see a head-on of the piano wall, just to make sure that other chair is still breathing ;)

Love the lavendar in the botanicals!

Mind dead-set on a curb appeal (which I shouldn't even be doing) at the moment : )

Will stop back a bit later.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Yes -- I thought of it after I posted my last message. Oops. The frame with the "built-in" ivory / gold mats won't work. However, I still love that idea and think you could just mimic that on your own with a simple gold frame -- just choose to double mat it (and set the off-set to 1/4").

Sorry that I wasn't thinking before typing ....

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd do a specialty mat, rather than the typical paper ones. A silk might be nice. A French matting technique would be very nice also, I think. Here are a couple links to see. There are some beautiful little frames on the site as well.

French Matting Technique

Specialty Mat Materials

• polkadots
    16 years ago

I don't think the new painting looks too big - it looks great. It's probably a shock after looking at that small one you had up there. I like it - great job!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Somehow missed that you'd already gotten back with the painting. Here it is hung just a bit above the mantel (not centered :) I'd wait till done, but think I'd tone down and soften the frame color a bit (but with testing first.)

It's a bit big, I think, but looks great with a few things on the mantel. Something big can go over the piano, so if you find something else you like better for the mantel, this would probably work well there too.

It's really looking good in there, Val. Glad to see you shifted the coffee table a bit :)

Spray of French lavendar in the vase! :)

• cran
    16 years ago

Here is the picture of the botanicals I tried to post eariler as I said I bought the frames for cheap at Homegoods and framed them myself. Your house is lovely.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cran: Your pics look wonderful! I can see who using a wider matt makes all the difference. I was thinking of doing a mock up on my wall to determine the best size. Would you mind letting me know the size of your frames as well as the width of the matting. I'll have to stop by Home Good again and check out their frames.

rmkitchen: I do like that website. I'm going to look a little closer at my prints to see what size opening I can use. It is quite helpful.

squirrel: Yes, that mock up really helps! The botanicals are all orchids, though I can see one does look like lavendar. I like the idea of the lavendar in the vase, though. I was wondering what to put there. Can I get it dried? I also have yet to finalize my table lamp selection--as you may recall I had been considering a tortoise shell one to coordinate with the tortoise shell floor lamp you recommended; but at least a few others liked the jelly jar lamps. I've been looking, but so far the ones I like are too expensive. What would you suggest? I like the idea of pulling green on to the other side of the room.

I hung the painting today and adjusted the spots plus put a few items on the mantle which I already have. For some reason it did not go perfectly equal top/bottom, but I kind of like it a bit higher; though can drop it down. I'm not totally happy with the placement of the right spot as the left side seems brighter but perhaps it's just because the left side of the picture is lighter.

{{!gwi}}

I prefer to leave the pillars on the piano as I felt they clashed with the frame IRL; but I have these crystal candlesticks. I also was debating putting my Hummel collection there--kind of like the little Hummels are strolling in the painting? Tough perhaps I should put in a curio--as two of them belonged from my grandmother. For the dish to the left I was thinking of putting a plant in it like squirrel's version.

• hosta_house
    16 years ago

I'm considering frames for mine from here
    http://victorian-frames.stores.yahoo.net/

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh that looks so perdy!! Yes, the turquoise sticks are a bit bright : ) As is the lamp a bit too blue. A deep teal would be nice, though, with your pillows and sofa nearby. What else might be nice is an antique pressed (?) glass lamp. The ones on a marble base. I'll see if I can drum up a pic anywhere, although I think I've looked before with no luck. They're not French, but I think they might be English in flavor. I do like the ginger jar lamps in there, too. I wonder if a 'print,' say a toile like in one of my virtuals, or a floral maybe. How tall do you think it needs to be?

Yes, that's just a dried lavendar spray, with a couple white flowers or something at the base. So pretty with the wall color : )

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rmkitchen: Thanks again for that link to the picture frame website. I just placed an order for some free frame and mat samples. I did some estimates and for a custom frame with double custom matting similar to the one you had recommended would price in around $67 ea. though there is a discount for orders over 5 frames.

I am thinking of doing a 3" border all around for the mat. I read on the website that they recommend the mat be double in size to the frame and many of the frames I was looking at are 1-1/2" wide. For my larger botanical prints this would yield an outer frame dimension of approx. 18x20 and if I arrange them in a group of 4 prints with 3" spacing (again read to space equal with the mat width), the dimensions of the grouping would then be approx 39"W x 44"H. I was thinking of doing that grouping along one of my empty walls.

squirrel: Would be interested to see the marble lamp you mentioned as that was the other option I'm considering--if I can't find a reasonably priced jelly jar lamp. As for height I was thinking around 30-34"H. The drum table is 28"H. How does that sound?

• gk5040
    16 years ago

I am surprised you did not get many comments about the oil painting above the fireplace. I think it looks a tad to big and heavy for the space. Did you consider hanging it over the piano?

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Val, here is an example of framed botanicals for inspiration from Mary Carol Garrity. A beautiful, classic, display!
    {{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

When figuring the mat placement, be sure to bring it in around the off white portion of the print, so that no white shows. It will look professional that way!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg85: That is a great inspiration photo. Thank you! I went to Michaels and Aaron Bros today and have a better idea what I want to do now. I've decided to do standard sized frames and custom mats.

I was able to find the frames at Aaron Brothers that I currently have in the dining room in the larger sizes. They have 11x14, 12x16 and 16x20; but alas not 14x18. I'm thinking of using the 12x16 for the smaller botanicals and placing one to each side of the buffet lamps; but the 16x20 feels a bit too large for the other ones--esp. it I want to do two rows. Current idea is to put the smaller ones in the dining room; but with a red top mat (not sure about the bottom color yet). I'm even thinking I may switch out the mats in the existing pictures in the dining room to the same combination. Then the other 4 prints will go in the living room and so may have a slightly different frame (as I prefer the 14x18 size) and mats. For those, I'm thinking of the ivory/metallic gold combination. Would that be OK to do the red combo mats in the dining room? It would give a needed punch of color, though then they don't match to the ones in the living room. If I do that, any suggestions for the bottom mat color? Metallic gold, ivory or ??

• cran
    16 years ago

Like you said kmgc85 that is a beautiful classic display. May I ask who is Mary Carol Garrity? I love everything about that pic. The wall color and the botanicals are beautiful!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Cran, Mary Carol Garrity is the owner of Nell Hill's in Atchison, KS. A beautiful home decor store. She has several books also. I think I have all of them! She has such great style and is a great inspiration!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Carol Garrity.

• cran
    16 years ago

Thanks kmcg85 for the link to Mary Carol Garrity, I bookmarked it so I can read it when I have more time (and not at work)I will definately look for her books as well. I probably not make a trip to her shops, Cape Cod is a long way from Kanas!

• catc
    16 years ago

I love botanical prints. You all have some beautiful ones! One thing to think about with the older, antique prints is protecting them for the future. If you love them, it can be worth investing in acid-free matting and UV glass when you frame them. Custom framing can be done without completely breaking the bank. I got a couple of my botanicals custom framed, double matted, and it cost about $200 for both of them. I probably could have gotten it done for less if I had provided my own frame, and just paid to have the framing place cut the mats and put everything together.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Thoughts on your mantle: LOVE the new picture and I think the size is fine. The crystal candlesticks aren't heavy enough though. In accessorizing the mantle, think about placing a grouping of similar items to one side. A combination of decorative plates and trays in an odd number, various sizes. For instance 1 medium and 1 small plate standing in front of a larger decorative tray. On the other side balance that grouping with one large piece that has the same visual mass, like a candelabra, chunky candlesticks, (one taller than the other), clock or vase. Use books or small decorative boxes to elevate objects until the visual weight seems balanced. I hope this makes some sort of sense. Adding to the mantle will enhance the look, creating a sort of base for the weight and size of the painting. Once you have addressed that as your focal point, you will know how to accessorize the walls on either side.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg85: Thanks for those suggestions about accessorizing the mantel. That helps a lot! I like the idea of a mantle clock. Do you think it would work? What about the chunky pillar candles squirrel put up? They are actually on my piano right now, though I like them there and they go well with the gold wall. If I were to move them I would use a different color candle. I wasn't sure if it clashed with the frame. I also like the plant squirrel put there as it softens it. You have a great feel for design.

I'm trying to decide what color mats to use for the smaller botanicals which I've decided to put in the dining room. I was thinking red/gold to match the redder colored flowers and bring some punch in the room, though I also like the more restrained gold/ivory combo. I hope to get them cut later today, but would appreciate some feedback if I'm on the right track with these two:

{{!gwi}}

Was thinking of putting one on either side of the sideboard as I only have two prints of this size.

{{!gwi}}

Here are the other prints already there with the same (but smaller) frame. I was thinking of swapping out these mats to match:

{{!gwi}}

The other four I have yet to find a 14x18 frame, though they do have a 16x20 (which I thought might be too large). Here it is with the 12x14 frame:
    {{!gwi}}

Is this OK or should I size up 2" all around (14x18) with a different frame or 4" all around (16x20) and match the frames? I want to do a group of 4 of these and was considering the spot in the living room to the right of the fireplace.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

If you are getting custom mats, then the framing person should be able to help. They usually have an eye for it and know what to bring out. I'm not good at that, so I usually let them suggest away! As for placement, I would like to see the mirror hung vertically 4-6" above the sideboard. The prints can be hung on either side of the mirror visually expanding the area to the width of the sideboard. Before you hang ANYTHING, trace the mirror, and prints onto brown craft paper and cut out. You can put scotch tape on the back and hang the silouettes until you get the right placement. Mark on the paper where the hanger on the art and mirror is. That is where you will place the nail through the paper into the wall! Then rip the paper off and hang the pictures and mirror. Ta Da! I did this with three plates I hung in my kitchen. It worked perfectly and really helped me visualize the right placement!

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

Hi, Val, just thought I'd show you the botanicals I've framed, just to give you more ideas, but it sounds like you have it almost all figured out. I have enjoyed watching your room come alive!

I got all my botanicals off Ebay too & decided to do ready-made frames and had custom mats cut to make the prints fit in my frames. I used 16x20 frames with inserts of 10x13 openings. My botanicals are slightly smaller than the insert, so to fill it out, I used black mats on all of mine & I love how it makes them look more important. That touch of black all around really makes the botanicals stand out, I think. Whether this is proper placement or not, I have no idea, but it worked for my eye. I have framed several sets of these in this same way & will show you all the pics of how I've used the black mat exactly the same way.

These were standard black frames from Michaels & came with the ivory mats inside with the glass & these had a black border built in on the inner ivory mat already, I just added another custom black mat to fill in the space that I needed to fill to fit my botanical. I know you can't see all the details on these pics, but hopefully this will help you some:

This one is open frames from Hobby Lobby & I bought standard mats & again added the custom black inner mat so the botanicals would fit. HL does a great job with adding mats & glass & very reasonable.

These gold frames came from Tuesday AM & they had the ivory mats with gold edge already in them, along with the glass. All I did was again add the black inner custom mat & it was done. I found this to be the most cost effective way to frame these odd-shaped botanicals.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

georgiagal: Yes that helps a lot. You've done a beautiful job with the framing. I didn't think of using one standard matt, but that is also a good idea. I like the idea of matching the inner mat to the frame color--in your case black and in mine gold. Can you let me know how large your prints are? My larger ones are 9x11.5. If I could size up the frame to 16x20 it would cost less, then I would probably just do one row of prints on the wall. I could do two sets of two each--perhaps to either side of the fireplace and move the palm or on the walls opposite which are 4' wide.

I think I need to buy more botanicals. I did have much better luck on eBay in that regard than with furniture!

• georgiagal
    16 years ago

Hi, Val, my prints are just about the same size as yours. They are behind glass, so that's what I'm estimating them to be. The 10x13 opening on those frames was too big, so that's why I added the extra custom mat on all of them, to fill that small space & it turned out to be a good thing, as it really makes the prints pop out with the black mat added. I think all these frames of mine are 16x20. I love that the frames are chunky and show off the prints better than a smaller frame would have.

Hope this helps!