Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Utility Baskets

Oakley
10 years ago

So I've fallen head over heels for this new trend. Utility baskets. I love them! Although I have a large utility room I don't need one in there.

I'm fluffing up my house, taking away and adding new accessories. It's kind of a major fluff job but I want to go slow & get it right.

I took the antique quilts off the bottom shelf of my sofa table. With two area rugs in the room, the quilts just made the room too heavy looking. If that makes sense.

Here's a picture from the internet of my sofa table. It's in the middle of the room, and I would love to have a couple of bright utility baskets on the bottom shelf.

My problem is I have no idea what to put in them, or should I just leave them empty? If I put something in them, what would it be?

Bare might be nice.

Comments (14)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

We're all different oak, but my baskets would hold a couple of rolled up throws, magazines, books, newspapers, remotes, a pair of socks/slippers. iPad/laptop, things you'll be using in the area where the table is. I would even throw in a couple of bottles of water since I like it at room temperature. ;)

• crl_
    10 years ago

Mine would hold magazines and books and random kid toys (3 year old and 10 year old who both like to play in the living room rather than in their bedrooms).

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This will be behind the main sitting area so putting something in there that can be used is out. They need something decorative (no fabric).

I'm wondering if they'd look funny with nothing in them? I love all the colors they come in.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Try them without first. But I think "something" should be in at least one and not have them in a straight row. Perhaps a soft throw folded up inside.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Ooh, that is nice, where is it from? I think they are ok empty since, on the bottom shelf, I am not sure if you can even tell?

When you said utility basket, I thought of these, which I always thought were so cool. Of course not for a LR!

• crl_
    10 years ago

Empty baskets and such do look odd to me. But you may like them. What about big pinecones?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Potted plants?

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I think empty could work but what comes to my mind is multiples, perhaps stacked kind of askew inside each other and then one or two lying on their sides. It would require a lot of trial and error to get it to look casual and not contrived. I love that organic kind of look where it appears these are used items that have been haphazardly stored until they are needed again...... but personally I can never pull it off!! I am WAY too balanced and symmetrical in my decorating even though I long to be a tad bohemian.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I'm a bit mystified by the statement, "This will be behind the main sitting area so putting something in there that can be used is out."

What else are baskets for other than to corral stuff together out of sight? -- and you don't have things you "use" in the living room? Function always comes first in my mind; otherwise you might as well put vases or sculpture or something else purely decorative there.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Around here, an empty one would quickly hold a grandchild's treasures.

For you, maybe a kitten? :)

Cute basket.

ML

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I love the baskets and I am all for whimsy.. but I am going to be the lone voice of caution. From what i remember of your rug and room style, I think these polypropylene baskets are way too casual and way too colorful to work nicely with your library-style decor. If you want to add color, perhaps you should look at a rattan basket but put something interesting and colorful IN it.

It might help if you share a photo of your table IN your room... I might change my mind if I see your room, table and rug again.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Like yayagal, I'm confused also. So if it's 'behind' the main sitting area, what *is*'the use/purpose of the table? Funkyart seems to remember the room, so a picture might be a big help.

Maybe a long planter box(basket) w/silk greens in the center and a basket on each side, but empty baskets always look like something is missing to me.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Violet, it's an extremely large room. The sofa divides it. The TV area is where we mostly hang out and has things we use. The back of the room is used, but not on a daily basis, so I have to put decorative items there.

I have a toy area in the LR for the grandkids, and I'm not designating another area for them. lol.

Funkyart, I'm making changes to the room, and adding some bright color to it. Trust me, I won't add plastic baskets to the room. They will be cloth or wool.

I'd take a current picture but I have stuff all over the place which has to stay there until I decide where they go. I've been working on the back of the room all week. Not a good time for a picture. :)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Can you pull up one of your old photos that shows the rug? I assume that is staying.. and the portraits on the wall.. and the burgundy tapestry sofa?

I have seen those baskets online-- it says they are polypropylene-- not necessarily a bad thing but not exactly what I'd think of when I think of your library styled room.