Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldengirl327

Know any good online upholstery fabric sources?

goldengirl327
15 years ago

I have a Pennsylvania House chair (maybe it was called Elizabeth?) and ottoman in my family room that I can't bear to part with because it is so comfy, but it needs to be reupholstered. I went to Joann Fabric today and found a Robert Allen Truax (pattern name) material in loden green that goes perfectly with my color scheme, but it is $45 a yard. I live in CT and most of the sources for good fabric in my area have closed over the last few years. I think the closest source now is in Massachusetts. Do any of you know of any good, reliable online sources that might have better prices or alternate choices?

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• clt3
    15 years ago

Every few weeks Joann's has 1/2 price on decorator fabric. Sign up for their mailers. They also have 40% off coupons available all of the time.
    http://www.insidefabric.com/p-13804-truax-loden-by-robert-allenhome.aspx

• goldengirl327
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, clt3, great pricing! Have you ever used this site? In the meantime, I'll also look into the coupon/deals available at Joann's. Thanks!

• chloe203
    15 years ago

I recovered my Henredon sofa in that fabric last year. As someone already mentioned, I just waited for a Joann's 50% off sale.

• Robbi D.
    15 years ago

I wait and use my Joann's coupons all the time. They come out once a month, I think. But they always seem to be running a sale, too.

• goldengirl327
    Original Author
    15 years ago

chloe45 --Good to know. Are you happy with the way the fabric responds to use? As I mentioned, it's the favorite in my family room so I'm looking for a good, solid choice that will withstand the wear and tear. Thanks!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

fabricguru.com was mentioned by another poster here.

• goldengirl327
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input on the sites and Joann's coupons. I got really excited to find out that I could save as much as 40%. However, just for the heck of it I called the warehouse outlet to see what they could do for a price. Imagine my surprise when I came home from work today and had a message telling me that the per yard price is $19!!! Needless to say, I plan to place my order with them.

• chloe203
    15 years ago

Goldengirl.
    I just saw your question. It has been awhile so maybe you've already made your decision.
    It made up beautifully and I think looks quite expensive. It doesn't photograph well for some reason, or I would post a picture.
    We are happy with it. If you have animals that would be on it, I think it might snag. I don't think it would snag super easy though.

• goldengirl327
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, chloe. Yes, I did order it. We do have a large dog that is allowed to get up on the ottoman, but we have a slip cover on it now and plan to use it even after the piece is covered. Since we really live in our family room, I figure this will keep it intact for the times when we entertain and want the room to look a little less lived-in. :)

• jaybird
    15 years ago

Joanne's has their drapery/upholstery fabs (even the special order ones) on sale right now for 50% off :^))))

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I buy all of my fabrics (ok most...I'll buy anywhere LOL) from Designdivafabrics. they have great sales, and the products are very high quality, not first run stuff (first runs are not on the same quality base as the latter runs). I was comparing them to the price of the link above (inside fabric) and diva was WAY cheaper :)

The only thing I'd say about diva is that when they have really excellent sales you can order say six cuts and end up only getting one or two of your choices because when they sell out they sell out.

• highknitter
    15 years ago

Too bad you don't live near Charlotte NC - there is an awesome Robert Allen fabric outlet (a true outlet, adjacent to the warehouse) in Gaffney SC. It is unreal.

• goldengirl327
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Although I think I did pretty well on the price ($19 p/yrd) kate8smith, that outlet sounds awesome. Too bad I don't live down south...I've got a few other pieces in need of upholstering.

just to update --My fabric arrived today and the upholsterer came to pick up the pieces to be redone. I should have everything back home by the end of next week.

• stephanie93
    15 years ago

Kate8Smith--I live in Columbia, SC so the outlet is only a few hours from me. Is it kind of hit and miss?? Have you been to the Waverly outlet in Richburg?? Was wondering how they compare.

• highknitter
    15 years ago

I have not been to the Waverly outlet. I accidentally found the Robert Allen Outlet when visiting the outlet mall in Gaffney. I've been approx 3 times over the past 1.5 yrs. Here's what I've found: fabric by the yard approx $5-$6/yd, folded remnants (including silk) were .10/lb last time I visited. They also have some ready made panels for various prices. On Saturdays, customers can access more inventory because the folks who work in the warehouse are not working. Hours are limited but the employees are great @ cheerleading. Specifics: Robert Allen Fabric Outlet, 50 Peachview Blvd, Gaffney SC 800-266-8579. Hope that helps. It's not too far from MaryJo's in Gastonia NC which would take another long-winded paragraph to yap about!

• sorriso
    15 years ago

I posted the same question not too long before you and did extensive browsing online. I ended up checking out eBay, found exactly what I wanted and got it at a more than affordable price.

• goldengirl327
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I never thought of ebay. That sounds like a good idea. Now that I've started these projects I'm sure I'll be in the market for more fabrics.