Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

Need living room layout, decor help

debrak2008
10 years ago

Everyone here was so helpful when I was working on my dining room. Now on to the adjacent living room.

Here is a photo of the living room before we moved things today. Sorry I don't have a better photo. Note the TV is flat against the wall.

In order to see if we can give every seat a better TV view we moved the TV today. The issue is you can now see the back of the TV. We are not 100% sure we want to keep it this way as not sure we like the TV view from this new angle.

If we did want to keep it, any ideas of what I can do to block the view of the back of the TV? A tall plant? Another issue is the big black space on the wall where the TV was. What to do with that?

Any other ideas for this room? For some reason I have no inspiration on what to do with it. I never have in over 25 years. We have no other family room or den. The room was recently painted to match the dining room and the couch and love seat our new. The window treatments are a long standing issue I have posted about before and will be address sometime in the future.

Ignore the blankets, its just been so cold everyone likes wrapping up. Also ignore the snowman on the wall and the dust. Ummmm we just took down our Christmas tree and decorations today, LOL.

Any and all suggestions about layout or decor are appreciated.

Comments (20)

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Have you considered wall mounting tv with a telescoping arm?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Get a wall mount for the TV, which you can pull out and angle for viewing, then put flat against the wall when you're not watching TV.

If you can cut a hole in the wall to recess the mount, even better.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The issue with wall mounting the the huge amount of cables coming out of the tv. The are nine cables coming out the back that are all interconnected with the blu ray player, the antenna (yes we have a real antenna in the attic), the FIOS box, and the wireless router, also the plug into the power strip. I don't even understand what all these cords are. There are 2 that come out of the floor and one out of the old cable wall jack (I think that is the antenna).

So long story but all those cords and those boxes have to be together. I know one complaint we have is all the cords are short and a pain when something has to be unplugged.

The TV would never be pushed back as no one goes in the room without turning on the TV.

These are good ideas I just don't know what to do with all the cords/equipment.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 20:00

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That is doable with a wall mount. Most people have a lot of equipment attached to their tvs.

See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall mounted TV and equipment.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Otherwise, I would either rewire or re-feed the wire so that the TV is in the corner on the opposite wall, the right-hand corner as you enter the dining room from the living room; long sofa on the wall where the TV was, small sofa pulled up to form and L with the long sofa, that cute side table in the square formed by the L (near the entrance to the LR. It is okay that people would have to walk behind the small sofa and around to enter and leave that room. Better a close seating area that is one piece than broken up just for a doorway, IMO.

You can feed the cables by drilling a hole in the floor, then another where you want it to come up to attach to the TV, if you have a basement or crawlspace under that room.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Actually, looking at it more closely, the best spot for the TV in that room is in the front left corner, facing the front window, back to the dining room. There it could be on its stand and you wouldn't see the back at all. Reverse the sofas. Long against the wall where the tV is now, small with back against the dining room.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tibbrix, I will check out the link you posted.

I am having trouble picturing the layouts you are describing. Can you draw it out for me? I'm going to try to work it out.

There is basement below but do hate to drill any more holes in the floor. The opening seen in the third photo posted has stairs that lead to my DSs bedroom so can't cramp that area to much.

Thanks for the input.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

You can always have your telecommunications company, Comcast or whoever it is, come in and relocate the cable and phone jacks too, and it's not very expensive to have them do it. I think that, were the TV in that front corner, it'd be out of the way AND have no back showing . Seems to me to be the perfect spot for it in that room. In addition, it wouldn't be facing any windows any longer, so there'd be no issues of glare hitting the screen, if that has been an issue. Maybe not, since it looks like you have some kind of a porch up front there.

I think i wasn't very clear. I meant when YOU are facing the front window, the TV would be in the corner to the left, on a diagonal facing into the room.

Then, put the small sofa on the wall next to the doorway, the wall where the TV is now, and the large sofa facing the front window with its back to the dining room. Side table between the arms of the two sofas.

It is okay that people would have to walk the perimeter to move around. There would be ease of access from the doorway with the stairs. Don't be thrown by that without trying it. If people have to get up on tiptoes and sidle to get around, you don't want that. But if it's just a matter of their having to go to the left to enter the sitting area, so what?

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just measured and it won't work. The couch can't be across the opening to the dining room as it would leave only about 12" to get through. I measurement it out putting the sofa on the wall and the love seat in the opening but there still is not enough room. So it appears the couch and loveseat really can't move.

Need to rethink wall mounting the tv.

• aputernut
    10 years ago

My dh built this corner shelf in our media room for our TV corner moulding hides wires, and cabinet below hides cables etc.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I like where you have the TV on your original picture facing the long couch. I think if you hung it on the wall there with a full motion thin mount, you could angle it a little bit and not see the back of the TV as much. Putting it on the wall would be cleaner looking and allow the TV to sit back a few more inches.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree I like it better in the original position. When you sit on the couch the view is fine. If you sit on the loveseat, not so good. We all can't fit on the couch.

Agreed that a moveable wall mount would be the answer.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Is there room for the TV under the high window, love seat where it is now and the couch where the TV was (flat against the wall)? Or put the couch in front of the window and the love seat on the wall where the TV was. Nice area rug and ottoman will complete your pretty room.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We could do what you describe grandmaof3 but It won't help the TV view. It would be the same issue just facing the other way. We have tried it before but good thought.

You are right on the rug. I tossed out the old area rug and have really enjoyed having the bare floor. So easy to vacuum. The couch and loveseat both have two recliners each which are used daily. Anything like a coffee table or ottoman in the middle of the room would be purely decorative and never used. Should I do it anyway? I could try the coffee table. I have an antique mahogany table that served as a coffee table until the kids came along.

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

You could try angling the sofas although I don't think you have room. Put the long sofa where the love seat is, but angle toward the TV with the table and lamp in the corner behind the TV or between the 2 sofas.. Then angle the love seat on the wall with the high window. You may have to extend the love seat somewhat in front of the dining room opening. Or maybe try angling them where they are now located. It would help with TV viewing, but I am not usually a fan of angled furniture.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Didn't realize the couches had recliners......no,a coffee table/ottoman doesn't work too well. We tried it with ours and the table/ottoman had to be so far away to accommodate the foot rests. We just used end tables for our recliners. I do like Karenseb's drawing of an arrangement. I think seeing the back/side of the loveseat is more attractive than the back of the TV. JMHO.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, everyone is ready for the tv to move back where it was. Right now and in Karen's drawing (thank you) seat give you a view at a slight angle. We really don't like it. So the couch will give those on it a straight on view. If you end up on the loveseat, oh well.

I am doing to talk to Dh about wall mounting the tv and running the cables inside the wall. If he wants to take on the project he has my blessing. If not, thats ok too.

As for decor I think I do need to get a rug (but I really don't want to).

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Take a look at the indoor/outdoor polypropylene rugs. There are beautiful ones out there, they're not terribly expensive, (I bought one i love at Lowes for $60, 5 X 7), they take a beating, and are very, very easy to maintain.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Have to agree that wall mounting the tv is probably your best bet.

Do you have plaster walls? I can't tell how old the house is from your pictures. Fishing cables through plaster walls can be difficult. However, there are cord covers that you can use to cover the cables on the wall. They can be painted to match the wall color.

And if you Google a bit, there are a lot of creative ideas on how to hide all the tv cables out there.

I'd do a bit of research first, to get the wall mount that will work best for you, and to figure out the easiest way to hide all the cables.

If you don't want a rug, and I don't blame you, those floors are sure pretty, think about doing something else to help "furnish" the room. I could see a large plant on the wall with the tv, or a bookcase for display. I think if you can find something else for that wall, in addition to the tv, it will make the room seem more fully furnished.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My issue with the rug is (don't laugh) I would have to carry the central vac carpet cleaning attachment up and down the stairs. Right now the only carpet that the attachment is used on it upstairs, so it stays there. If I add a carpet downstairs than every time I vacuum I need to bring down and back up. We have pets so the house need to be vacuumed regularly. I found after I got rid of the area rug it is soooo much easy to keep the living room clean. So much stuff would end up under the rug.

I like to "design" for easy of cleaning!

No plaster but two layers of sheetrock. DH just got done with an eight year, all DIY remodeling project. So I understand if he wants to pass on this. If we (he) does it I will post photos.