Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillylily

So many paint choices... so little time...

gillylily
12 years ago

Our basement completion is going a little faster than we had anticipated. I guess, the inspectors don't have much going on this time of year b/c as soon as the contractor calls them, they have been coming to inspect the same day (a far cry from when we built the house 2 years ago)..

Anywhoo.. our builder wants paint colors already and I am freaking out.. I want neutral but not boring.. It is a walkout basement with 3 windows in the "family room" , one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. Additionally, the door is a 16 light door (I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology but it is an all glass door with 16 squares)

All the windows, except for the door and bathroom are under the deck so there is very little sun-light coming thru. Even if they weren't under the deck our backyard gets little light.

The rest of my home is earthtones- (Pismo Dunes in my kitchen, a terra-cotta color in my DR, Quiet Moments blue in my bathroom, Dessert Tan - a camel y color in my foyer and hallway..

That being said, what color would YOU go with? The only piece of furniture we have so far is a chocolate brown leather sectional.

Thanks as usual for your help!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

How do you feel about green?

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

We did our basement last year. We also have no natural light except for one of those typical tiny basement windows that is hidden behind shrubs in front of the house. We painted our basement Stone Hearth, which I really love. I used splashes of orange and turquoise around the room so I don't think it feels boring.

Here's one pic:

And one more that shows the color pretty well:

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

You asked what I would go with so I'll give you an honest answer even though I don't think you are likely to use it; peach! I think peach would really warm up a downstairs basement area, looks great with brown furniture and is surprisingly neutral as so many other colors work with it. There...I'm sure you won't choose peach though as it seems to be out of favor at the moment.

Would love to see pics of your basement area to get more visuals...

• hopmom
    12 years ago

So funny...we are in the process of having our basement finished -- and the walkout is a family room with a french patio door (Anderson) and two double windows.
    We went with BM Revere Pewter with one accent wall in Chelsea Gray (where we're are putting a gas fireplace). We are also doing a mudroom area -- I originally picked gray mist for this area, but after the first coat decided to stick with the Revere Pewter here too. The trim and built-ins are super white. I am liking it so far -- but still holding my breath until the flooring is in.

The contractor loved the paint colors so much he took the paint home to try it in his own home. I also overheard him telling another client that they should try this great color combo.

The Revere Pewter looks more tannish green than gray in my room -- a nice neutral. I'd love to see pics of your project -- not finding a lot of basement threads here and I've been searching for pics throughout this process.

• gillylily
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm= Not sure about yellow or green- definitely something to consider.

i do like Peach, but in smaller quantities. The basement is going to be around 900 sq. ft. so I think that much peach is going to be over-bearing for me.

Revere Pewter and Stone Hearth are definitely two colors I would consider. The RP might be too gray down there with minimal light but I will definitely look at it. Certainly something in those shades. I love Chelsea gray but it is going to be too dark I think for the space.
    I don't have pictures yet- they are currently putting up the wall board right now and plaster goes in tomorrow. I will take some pictures tonight when they leave b/c it will give you a better sense of what the room will look like.
    Thanks so much for all your responses!

• gillylily
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So- I think I am going out on a limb here.....

My choices are between (all BM)
    Stone harbor,
    Northern cliffs
    plymouth rock
    valley forge tan
    revere pewter...
    All shades of greige- all neutral and maybe a little too safe?

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Both SW Kiiim Beige and SW Pavilion Beige look great with chocolate brown furniture. I have SW Kilim Beige throughout the new house and we have a lot of brown (cabinets, furniture, leather, etc).

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

can you post a picture of the room and make sure to include the carpet in the picture?

• vdinli
    12 years ago

We went with BM edgecomb gray for our recently renovated basement. It is a warm greige and looks good in both day and night-though it's more beige than gray in our light conditions. We also tried revere pewter but it looked very industrial and didnt go well with our tile floor. Good luck!

• hopmom
    12 years ago

A few other lighter neutrals I have used and like are:

BM Camoflague -- a calming greenish tannish shade -- changes with the light. I have it in my bedroom and love it.

BM Manchester Tan -- a creamy tan with no real undertones -- can't go wrong with this color

BM Monroe Bisque -- a golden tan

BM Smoky Taupe

So many great colors to choose from. Have fun!

• randita
    12 years ago

I'm going to second the idea of yellow, but not bright yellow but a creamy yellow like SW Ivoire.

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

We recently used Edgecomb gray as well and I love the color -- soft but warm. If you're open to green, I loved the fresh but neutral color used in a family room on a recent post -- Benjamin Moore Dried Parsley. Horrible name! But great color that works with lots of other colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore Dried Parsley

• amykath
    12 years ago

I do not think you could ever go wrong with a greige! Can not wait to see photos!!!

• amykath
    12 years ago

I do not think you could ever go wrong with a greige! Can not wait to see photos!!!

• chispa
    12 years ago

A good color is BM Grant Beige.

• pps7
    12 years ago

Our basement is Grant Beige and I really like it.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

I love that stone harbor color Sueb posted. It is light enough and yet seems more substantial than most light colors. It's really nice.

• gillylily
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the color suggestions.. I was finally able to go downstairs during the day (plaster walls are drying so NOONE is working down there today.. kind of nice actually)

I think we are gong to go with BM Stone Hearth (thanks Sueb20) and for the bathroom I am going to go with BM tranquility (an affinity color). Its amazing how much color changes at different times of day. I am looking forward to showing you pictures when it is at least painted :)
    Thanks again for all your help!!

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Oh good! I do love Stone Hearth. For me it was a no-brainer because I picked out the carpet first and it was perfect with the carpet. But I think it's a good color in general.

• gillylily
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The carpeting is my NEXT ordeal. Would you mind telling me what carpet you have in your basement? I was supposed to pick out today but after being a stay at home mom for 8 1/2 years I am going back to work on Tuesday... just needed a day to get myself together..

I think I will really like the stone hearth- I have pismo dunes in my kitchen which is similar but a little darker.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Oh I can't wait to see your pictures! Tranquility is such an intriguing color. I considered using it in our bedroom but I think it's a bit dark for my space. I'm probably going to do a somewhat similar but ligher Ace color, Suzy Q, instead. Free sample quart of Clark and Kensington paint tomorrow, so we'll see. :)

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I should really keep some sort of record of materials in my own home, shouldn't I? I have no idea whatsoever what carpet I have down there. Can't even remember the brand! It wasn't anything fancy, I can tell you that. It's a berber type in a solid color and it is basically the same exact color as whatever color is the next-darker one on the paint strip with Stone Hearth! How's that for some design expertise? ;). Good luck!

• nicole74
    12 years ago

We used SW Ramie. These pics are right after we finished. We now have a brown leather couch down there.

• nicole74
    12 years ago

Sorry! Didn't read the part where you had already chosen your color! Can't wait to see picture's :)