Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rules for baseboards/window frames/other woodwork matching?

Posted by jessie21 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 19:28

I hate this sort of rule, but I have to know what the real deal is with woodwork. A few questions:

1. Do all the baseboards in my house have to be the same? (I will probably break this rule, if it is one, but just thought I should ask!)
2. If I paint baseboards, do the window frames and sills and sashes have to be painted too?
3. If your baseboards are painted, what do you do with doors? Paint just the frames, or the frames and doors or neither?
4. If there is anyone out there who has broken the rules, can you show me how it looks?

Here is just one of my current problems. Say you have a huge and permanent piece of furniture (it's a china cabinet that can't fit anywhere else) that is against a long wall shared by dining room and living room, but you see it more in dining room. Well, can I cheat and paint the baseboards in my dining room but not the living room, since the joined area will be hidden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rules for baseboards/window frames/other woodwork matching?

It is best if open plan spaces have matching woodwork.
That said I have seen one "white" transition to another "white" where part of a hall extended into another room, simply with a line taped on the baseboard. Its not that noticeable.

Door frames can match the doors or not.

o

There are no rules specifically, but I'll give you my opinion instead :oP

1. Do all the baseboards in my house have to be the same? (I will probably break this rule, if it is one, but just thought I should ask!)
Definately not, but rooms that flow together should match (because when they don't it's akward to make them flow right). So that might answer your other question...even with the china cabinet, I would do the trim the same throughout the adjoining room. It would look funny to have say painted trim on one side and unpainted on th other side of the cabinet.

2. If I paint baseboards, do the window frames and sills and sashes have to be painted too?
Totally your preference. Mine is that they all match within the room. (ie I'd paint the trims the same as the baseboard.

3. If your baseboards are painted, what do you do with doors? Paint just the frames, or the frames and doors or neither?
I paint the doors and frames. I find it disjointed to not do so.

4. If there is anyone out there who has broken the rules, can you show me how it looks?

Heh heh, there are no rules so I can't answer that, but if there is a rule, I normally try to break it or at least tweek it.

o

Were breaking rules, were changing oak baseboards and oak trim around the windows to new white woodwork. In the halls and bedrooms and bathrooms we are leaving the solid oak wood doors, and replacing only the trim around them to white trim and base boards. Then we are putting in brazilian cherry floors. It looks okay...maybe different, but saving $$ by using some of the existent home features.We had planned to pull out ALL OAK and do white with cherry floors.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

o

What ever happened to the old rule of "it's your house so paint the trim whatever color(s) you want". That's the rule we followed, we painted all the trim and doors the same color, why? Because it's our house and that's how we wanted them painted. :c)

o

Thank you for the replies and sewwhatsnew, thanks so much for the pics. That's really a pretty room, and although I've painted some of my cheap doors along with the trim before, I can see why you wouldn't want to paint yours. And it looks nice.

Igloochic, my problem all started with my kitchen where I had to paint the window cause it didn't go with my dark cabs. Had to do dining room window too, since it is so totally present in the kitchen. Now that I'm about to change out the floors in kitchen and dining room, it's presented problems with the rest of the house. I won't even try to go into it here, it's just a big pain in the arse.

I do appreciate your opinions....thanks again everyone.

o
RE: lukkiirish...

lukkiirish, we posted at the same time so I didn't see your response. thanks!

I agree it's totally my choice, just don't want it to look stupid! I do like the windows and doors to match the baseboards. Painting it all the same would certainly look nice and unified and would solve my problem. But, with all the windows and doors I would want to paint along with the baseboards, it would be a heck of a lot of work. They are all currently stained and would need prep. I was hoping not to turn my kitchen/dining room floor change into a whole house change.

o

Oh! I hear you on that. Trim and baseboard is a PITA to paint. But that's what I mean by it's YOUR home, so why not do what you feel comfortable with! I don't think it will look stupid at all but what you need is a visual. Why not do another post, but this time say something like "show me your trim - pics please" and in your post explain what exactly you need to see. I bet you'll get a better idea of what will work for you.

o

Just a thought, why not paint your baseboards the same color as your walls. We did that and it looks great. It left us with the ability to paint our trim and doors black without having to much black in the house. Painting out the baseboards the same color as the walls is a designer trick to make the space look larger.

o

I don't have rules, rather focus, what do I want to show-what do I want to vanish. If I had huge grand wood baseboards or beautiful marble/granite, they would be featured as a focus detail. Beautiful shape/lighting/beams, I'd focus the ceiling but flat I'd vanish in the same color, making a wall contrast the focus. I'd want a good reason to have outlets in contrast to the wall, they are easy to paint the same color to vanish. Simply, draw attention to what you love, let the rest recede. No rules, do you like or not?

o

thanks again for all your good ideas!

lukkiirish, I may just post as you suggest..

jlinajo and bodica, great suggestions that I will definitely consider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here