Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaml

Warm wall color with purplish-mauve carpet?

jessicaml
13 years ago

Okay, I've been getting sample pots and mixing my own concoctions and staring at colors as the daylight changes until I'm about to go crazy... DH doesn't want to put money into new carpet, but the walls need work, so we'll be painting, and I'm looking forward to warming up the space with the wall color. Thankfully, an immediate decision isn't necessary since I'm waiting on a contractor to contact me about the walls, but I'm indecisive, thus getting a head start on the color decision. Is there any color that will work with this purple carpet? It's largely covered by a rug, but I don't want it to clash too horribly at the edges.

Left: Hint of Gold, Middle: Hint of Gold 50% lighter, Right: Palace White

These colors aren't quite so yellow in person, but DH requested yellow (if we must do something about the walls, which he'd prefer to leave alone). Hint of Gold can be fairly yellow in some lighting, though, and at half strength I'm afraid it will be a) too pastel/country/feminine or b) turn pink against the carpet. Palace White seems to be a better choice, but it can seem dark sometimes, and it's the color my parents are using, so I feel like I'm being unoriginal (lame, I know). Also, since our room is only 15 feet wide with ceiling just over 8 feet at the peak & narrow windows, I'm afraid of making the space feel too small & dark. Can light and warm coexist with purple carpet? Oh, and there will be a white baseboard, so that may affect things, too. Aargh! Too many contrasting considerations, and I wish colors photographed better. :p

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida