Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Sofas: Looking For Your Opinions, Please

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

The leather sofa in our family room is very ready to be replaced. Although it was a good sofa, made in Italy of good leather, it's only lasted about 10-12 years before the leather on the seat cushions thinned out and then we got a 3" tear there. The rest of it is looking very bad, as well, despite using good quality Leather Honey conditioner on it.

We found several up in Taos, made by Legacy Leather in Canada (Toronto?). We like that they're not made in China. They also look and feel like a very good quality piece. DH refuses to buy anything made in China, because you can never count on the quality. Is that an understatement or what???

Yesterday I looked at some leather sofas, but am not sure where they're made or the overall long-term quality. Two were made by Spectra and one by Bernhardt. The saleswoman raved about the Spectra's "sinuous" rather than 8-way hand-tied spring system. Of course, this gal wants to sell me a sofa, so I take her info and then look to you all for hands-on advice ;^D

So, will you give me your personal opinions, etc. on the quality of sofas these days? I'd really appreciate any and all info as we'd like to order a new sofa this month while the sales are going.

BTW: what I'm looking for is a very good quality leather sofa; between 78-91 inches long; good support; very good quality leather; in a classic style with the option of adding nail-head trim; not too low to the ground; no fabric cushions on leather; in one of the classic dark brown colors; built to last for 20 years; hopefully less than $4,000.00. I have a pic below of a Bernhardt leather sofa that I like the looks of, although it's too long at 100". I'm not looking for any Contemporary looking sofa.

Questions:

1) What manufactures (of leather and/or fabric upholstered sofas do you consider put out very good quality pieces?

2) Any opinions/experience with manufacturers you would NOT recommend?

3) What sofa companies still have factories in the States or Canada, as opposed to being made in China or Mexico?

4) Your opinions on 8-way hand-tied versus sinuous springs?

5) Any experience with Legacy Leather Furniture? Bernhardt? Spectra?

I'm anxious to hear anything else you have to tell me about your own experience in buying leather furniture.

Thanks so much!

Lynn

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I have a sofa and love seat by legacy....They are 13 years old, so I can't speak to what they are doing these days....but I am well satisfied with what I have.
    Linda C

• lizbeth-gardener
    12 years ago

I would want the 8-way hand tied. I can't do links, but go to carolinachair.com for pic's of the two systems and other tips you might want to look for when selecting a sofa.(I have no connection to them)

I don't know anything about the brands you mentioned, but would look at Hancock & Moore and Lexington.

• nicoletouk
    12 years ago

When I think of quality leather furniture, I always think of Hancock and Moore. That's why I am surprised that a quick perusal of their website does not state where their pieces are made. Of course, that omission doesn't mean that their furniture is made overseas, but if it was made here you would think they would make sure you knew it!

I would simply call them.

Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Hancock & Moore

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the info, opinions and links! I'm off to check them out.

I do want to say that I am totally NOT against less expensive leather or fabric sofas/furniture. Been there and done that, and very satisfactorily,too. Small kids and teens can really do a number on furniture! But now at our age, we're ready to invest in one more sofa that will, hopefully, last for the next 20 years or so.

Please keep the opinions and info coming. I plan on heading out again on Friday to look at more sofas and then DH & I will check out any prospects this weekend.
    Many thanks!
    Lynn

• francypants
    12 years ago

I'll second Hancock and Moore. Made in USA and Duane who used to be on the Furniture Forum just raved about them.

BTW, you can't beat 8-way hand tied.

Here is a link that might be useful: H&M article

• francypants
    12 years ago

Another link.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kaijutokusatsu
    12 years ago

8 way hand tied will hold up better than sinuous springs (aka no-sag). I have a small upholstery shop and most of the repairs I do are done because the sinuous springs are coming loose. Now,granted in this area we get most of our business from people who have gone the discount furniture route and not good quality to begin with.I would hope that the more expensive brands would be built better but it seems like nothing is made to last anymore.Even if the piece is made in America that still doesn't mean a whole lot as the leather may come from somewhere else.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Funny, I almost posted this exact question yesterday morning, Lynn. ;) I'm tired of spending a couple thousand or more on a couple pieces and it's a downhill slide after the first 5 years or so. I'd rather pay more at this stage and have it last a whole lot longer. Because I don't enjoy furniture shopping, it stresses me out for some reason.

Smith Bros of Berne, Indiana is one company that still make their sofas in the US. (Read closely, some companies say "assembled in US" but parts are from overseas. A local dealer told me that's become very common because even with shipping it's still cheaper than to build it here. It's now commonly done by a lot of former "good" name brands.)

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i'll '3rd' H&M... love ours and SO comfortable. love their quality of leather choices!
    haven't owned the other brands you mentioned.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Also check out Lee Industries. The name in unprepossessing, but they are among the best of the higher-quality mid-range sofas out there. Very well made in the US. I've got a 15-year-old loveseat that is still good as new, in terms of all its innards.

Definitely get the best quality you can afford, with a cheaper cover fabric if you have to -- you can always reupholster a good sofa later when you've got more savings, but this won't be possible with a cheaper piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Industries

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Below is a link that has a comparison chart; scroll down to the second chart. Disregard the items notated in red.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather Furniture Manufacturers Comparison

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I prefer 8-way hand tied because I like my furniture to last, rather than switching it out every so often. My understanding is that it's an upgrade from sinuous springs.

My leather couches are 8-way hand tied, with down wrapped cushions (attached to the back and seat with heavy duty zippers and stitching, which I highly recommend). They're very comfortable. Other than the leather fading in some places, they still feel and look the exact same as when I bought them 12 years ago.

I'm looking at possibly buying a settee from the Sofa Company and, although I can't give a recommendation yet as to quality, its website explains the difference. If I buy a sofa from them, I'll pay the extra $350 for 8-way springs. Sinuos and 8-way hand tied springs

I've heard Quatrine has excellent furniture, all 8-way hand tied. Quatrine

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm loving all the info and links and have copied the info and read and then bookmarked every link!!

Lindac: thanks for the comments on your Legacy furniture. I'm glad to hear that and so is DH, who is still lusting over this one specific sofa of theirs that we saw in Taos
    at Mountain Comfort Furnishings & Design.

Lizbeth: thanks for the heads-up on the Carolina Chair site!

Nichole, Francy and BB: thanks for the info on H&M. I went to their site and am very impressed with their products. I've found a store in town that carries some of their furniture and am planning on heading down there tomorrow.

Moonshadow: great info, thanks!!

Walnut Creek: what a great, informative website . . . thank you!!!

Circus: thanks for mentioning them. I'm going to show DH their (now bookmarked) website this evening.

Kaijutokusatsu: thank you so much for your wonderful information! I don't recall seeing you post here before, but am so glad you did here! It's people like you that are such great fonts of information to us all. Please chime in often!
    Lynn

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I bought a hand-tied vanguard leather sofa 14 years ago, and it's still in great shape structurally. We sit in it every day (and I did pre-marriage as well), and I had the cushions re-stuffed for the first time last year. Unfortunately, the leather is showing some wear/soiling, but it was a delicate leather (aniline or semi-aniline ; I can't recall which) & I probably should have had it sealed.

I have no idea what vanguard costs now. Ironically, although this sofa was my first major furniture purchase (a couple years after I graduated law school), it's much more 'high end' than anything I've bought recently.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

I am waiting for my shipment from H&M--sofa, 2 chairs, and an ottoman. My Leathercraft sofa, chair, and ottoman are 17 years old. The seats are great and the leather hasn't faded. If I purchased Leathercraft today, it would cost nearly the same as H&M. My cleaning lady will buy the current furniture. New stuff should be delivered by the end of March.

• User
    12 years ago

We don't have any leather furniture So I can't recommend anything, but I wanted to "LIKE" the sofa in your op, Lynne. It looks classic and comfortable, which is my favorite combination :)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Am heading to town this morning to check out the place that sells H&M furniture and, hopefully, a few other brands as well.

Robin, thanks for the info on Vanguard. It's good yo know that it held up so well for you. I've put it on my list of brands to try and check out today.

Beachlily, wish you already had that new furniture, but I'm glad you chimed in to tell us that you thought enough of H&M to go with them. Please start a new thread and show us pics when everything arrives, will you? I'm already anxious to see it!

Last night at dinner I read DH all your comments and opinions. I've printed out everything to refer back to, including the comparison tables that WalnutCreek linked me to (thank you!!). Keep your fingers crossed that we find the best sofa for us and get it ordered this weekend.The old one is self-destructing right before my eyes here!
    Lynn

• annzgw
    12 years ago

Here's another brand to check out, Stickley. I recently purchased one of their leather recliners and it's the first recliner I've ever sat in that I said to myself, OMG!, in regards to the comfort.

Here is a link that might be useful: leather furniture

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

Lynn, I just got notice this a.m. that the furniture is completed and waiting for shipment. Should see it in about 3 weeks. It is more contemporary/transitional than you like, but it should be pretty. Red sofa and two tan chairs. I hope I like what I ordered!!!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

My sofa is by Southern, I have no idea of their quality but the one I have has held up great- I will probably recover it- and I like some of their styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern

• denali2007
    12 years ago

I have a Leathercraft sofa and 2 recliners. Great stuff. I was going to buy Hancock and Moore, but they were too deep for me. HM and Leathercraft are the same as far as quality goes. I bought mine 2 years ago and the leather still smells wonderful when I walk into the room.

There is a website with lots of discussions on leather upholstery. The moderator owns a furniture store that sells only high end furniture and is a wealth of information. I bought my sofa and recliners from him as he is local to me. His prices are good. I know he ships nation wide. He loves HM and feels it's an excellent company.You'll need to scroll down to get to the discussions.

Here is a link that might be useful: leather furniture

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

I am purchasing from the same place as demali. Not all the sofas and chairs are the same depth. I've ordered two chairs that are substantially less keep than the sofa so my feet might reach the floor.

My 17 yr old Leathercraft looks great! No mars, no fading, just really good looks. I just want a different style as we age. The cleaning lady loves this set and will pick it up Monday night. The new H&M will be delivered sometime mid- to late March, but we will use a small navy leather set we split--loveseat is in the office and chair/ottoman is in the master bedroom. Comfortable and like new, it's 20 yr. old.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A quick update on the sofa quest: DH & I went back out yesterday to look and more sofas and ended up ordering a Hancock and Moore. Not the one they had on the floor, but one DH liked even better in their catalog. We'll hopefully find out tomorrow how long we'll have to wait for it. We then we called the place up in Taos where we'd looked at furniture last week and bought the Flexsteel Mission-style leather & wood rocker. That should be delivered next Friday. Whenever it all gets here, I'll post some pics. Until then, thanks for all your help, info and hand-holding. I do appreciate it!
    Lynn