Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Part II of my LR - a new table & lamp choices

bac717
11 years ago

Today I bought a table to use between the two plaid chairs in my new LR arrangement. It needs a little help with the finish on top, as you will see in one of the pictures, but for $65 for a walnut Baker table, I think it was a pretty good buy. Now, I'm trying to figure out which lamp and shade to use on the table. Here's what I have to work with, so far. Do you like any of these or should I keep looking?

Here's the new table between the chairs with one of the lamp choices.

Choice #1 - brushed brass with a straight shade

Choice #2 - green lamp with drum shade

Choice #3 - scalloped lamp with bell shade

I also have a picture of the scalloped base lamp with the straight shade.

One more picture, showing the base of the brushed brass lamp. It is the same shape as the table. Is that too much of the same? Also, this picture shows the problem with the top of the table - a darker circle and some rings. Any ideas of how to fix those?

Sorry it's turned. It wasn't that way when I resized it.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Comments (32)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I like the lamp base in the second phot. The color of the third doesn't seem to suit your room as well, and the first is a little too art-nouveau.

The second is graceful and classic without being stodgy. And it has three feet, which fits perfectly with the three corners on your table!

But the shade doesn't do it justice. The shade in the first photo would be good -- a little more detailed without being too fussy.

• Valerie Noronha
    11 years ago

I like choice #1. Lovely score on the Baker table. For the top, try using Restore-A-Finish in the walnut finish.

• abundantblessings
    11 years ago

Terrific find! The water rings can be treated with a few methods as noted in the attached link (be sure to read the comments also), but the overall table top has been sunbleached by the former owner's lamp in all probability. Though once you get the top into a less dried out appearance, the circle may be less noticeable. Once your lamp is centered it may be just fine without refinishing.

As far as the shade, missed the drum choice on the brushed brass lamp but I definitely think that lamp is the best choice. Between the straight and the bell shades, I really prefer the straight on the brushed brass lamp as long as it does not have seamed sections as in the 1st lamp choice which almost always bug me when the lamp is on.

Here is a link that might be useful: ehow advice of water rings

• annie1971
    11 years ago

Each of the lamps seem to be too tall IMO. Having said that, I like the second one with light base and round shade. The lamp height can be easily adjusted if you choose to by changing the harp.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

That is a lovely table, and I like the two chairs flanking it as well. I think you might want to keep looking for a round (or ginger-jar shaped?) lamp base that will be a bit shorter and more "squatty" on the table. I tend to agree with annie1971 that the current lamps seem a bit tall (making them appear a little top heavy). I'm not suggesting this particular lamp, but I wonder what something along these lines, style-wise, would look like on your table?

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Love the table.

And I also tend to agree with SunnyCottage on the type of lamp.

Here is one on sale -- and just might work in your space (although maybe too much yellow?)

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

• jakefield
    11 years ago

Hi,
    That looks like such a cozy place to read or have coffee. I have to agree with the other posters that the lamps you posted seem too tall. Loved the shape of the one sunny cottage showed you. That shape seems to fit the space better. Happy hunting!

• susieq07
    11 years ago

#2 looked best on photo's

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Be careful how tall a lamp you use so not to put glare in people's eyes. I like the idea of a fuller, lower ginger jar type lamp. This corner is looking great! I also like the desk there.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I agree that your lamps are too narrow for that space and a lamp with a heftier base would look more grounded.

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I can absolutely picture a shorter, wider ceramic lamp there! I have always like the type of lamp that many of you are suggesting. I'm going to look around on line and see what I can come up with. I'm thinking I'd like to stay a little lighter in color in order to brighten up the space. I'll let you know what I can find. Thanks!

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

I don't think the height of the lamp is the issue but rather the visual weight. The setting needs a lamp with more heft - possibly the same height, maybe less, but most importantly the right shade. Test out the height of the bottom of the shade by sitting in a chair with a book. Is the light cast in a way that it will fall on your book but not in your eyes when reading or having a conversation with someone sitting in the other chair?

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So here's what I have so far. First of all, I grabbed a lamp from a bedroom that I think is the right shape, but a little too short, just to get an idea. It is only about 20" tall.

Then to try something a little taller (this is about 28" tall), I grabbed the lamp that is on the round table next to the sofa in the corner. I LOVE this lamp in that location, so I am trying it just for height.

Then, here are a few while looking around on line. Thoughts on these??

And then here's a picture of a lamp I saved from when I was looking years ago. I still like it, but cannot find it anywhere on line right now.

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another lamp I found, but yikes at $400, it's not happening! It is pretty, tho, isn't it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Currey & Co. lamp

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I like the last lamp best out of the 4 because I don't care for the brightness of white in a lamp base or shade with your chairs and rug.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I like the wider base on the one SunnyCottage posted. Seems to ground it more solidly to the table.

• annie1971
    11 years ago

I like the first one with the leafy vine. I also really like the one Janice suggested from LampsPlus (actually thought it would be fun in my guest room) but the parrot might not be right for your room, and I couldn't find it on their website.

This post was edited by annie1971 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 10:14

• Janice742
    11 years ago

First or last

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

Love the table! A new lamp and a few accessories will hide those flaws.

I agree with the others about a shorter, squattier ginger jar type lamp. I'm always partial to a blue and white oriental lamp, which gives a traditional room a little zing.

You can get one at any price point.

Dee

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Bac717, why that last lamp (Curry and Co.) is only $396! ;)

I do think that lamp is a great shape for your spot and that is what I would look to find.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

How about the lamp below? The price is right too.

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the help in zeroing in on the right shape and size for the lamp for this space. I agree that something wider like the one posted by SunnyCottage, the really expensive one from Currey & Co., or the one just linked by yayagal is what I should be focusing on. But, here's my next concern -- height. Do you think the height of the blue one I tried from here (just to try the shape and height) is where I should be or should it be a little taller? And I certainly so agree that the white shade is definitely too stark. I am tempted to go to Goodwill to see if I can find something with that wider, rounder shape that I would just paint, but I think a little bit of pattern would be nice, too.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think the height of the blue one is just right. I like the one I sent you so much that now I'm buying it haha. It will look good in my husbands den.

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yayagal - you will have to let me know how you like the lamp. I am still considering it, altho, I think I'd prefer a ceramic lamp.

This search has been very frustrating and way too time consuming. I was in Target today to pick up a few things and took a quick look at lamps. I came home with what I think is a good size and shape, but I am not crazy about the color. It is a mustard color, despite what it looks like in the pictures I am attaching. Any thoughts on this lamp? BTW, neither of the shades I used in the pictures are exactly right. Both are shades from other lamps here at home.

with flash -- the color is showing a little brighter than IRL, but it is a mustard color

without the flash -- if the color IRL was more like this, I could live with it, but it's not

My favorite is still the 4th one I posted yesterday at 19:06, but it's been years since I found it on line and still can't find it anywhere.

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more choice - the small gourd lamp from Ballard Design. I'm considering the camel color, thinking if by chance it doesn't work out in the LR, it would be a neutral color to use somewhere else. I suppose I could also consider the grey green. Here's the link, so you can see all the colors available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small gourd lamp

• yayagal
    11 years ago

It's a nice lamp but I agree your fourth one is a better choice. I know I'll love the lamp I chose as I love textures and the hammered base and the nubby shade is yummy.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

May be your plan, but I wouldn't buy the lamp yet until you zero in on your chairs and fabric.

When taking photos, possibly stand further back for a head on shot.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

What is the height of the new lamp? It looks well-proportioned. I think it's too casual for the rest of the room though. Your style of lamps, tables, rug, and art is very traditional, though the upholstery fabrics are casual. So I'd try to stay more traditional/transitional. I'd also stay away from anything beige, gold, or warm neutral since your walls, floor, and curtains are in that color family. Maybe try a different base than ceramic so you don't have to worry about color-matching.

• bac717
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the lamp suggestions, EG3d. I like all of them, but they are all too tall. Finding something with enough width, but not too much height is a real challenge. And you are right, snookums2. I should be waiting until I change the chairs, but that could take awhile (finding the right chairs). The new lamp is only 20" tall, may flowers and you are right about the casualness and color of the lamp.

I really do appreciate everyone who is still hanging in there with me on this thread.

Maybe it's time for me to step away from this for awhile. :)

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Maybe it's time for me to step away from this for awhile. :)

Oh, I'm pretty sure that most of us who hang around this place know full well what it's like to be on a quest! Especially when exactly what you want seems to elude you ... you feel like you've just got to keep searching! ;-)

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

You know where you need to go, don't you? The lamp store you sent me to - have you been there on this quest? Bring photos, bring fabric pieces (a cushion if you have to) the table dimensions and an open mind. Let the woman there push you in a direction you might not be thinking now. I've been there a few times now and she always amazes me.

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design