Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n2bach1

It's the yellow rug ----again! Please help!

n2bach1
16 years ago

Sorry to keep bringing up this rug situation, but, I ordered this yellow rug (on suggestions from you all!) in a runner size to cut the cost of shipping, etc. It was just to determine if the color would be right for the dining room. Well, IT'S OUT OF STOCK!

So.....the big question here is this:

Do I bite the bullet and order the large rug for the dining room, knowing that if it's not right in color, I'll have to suck up and pay a small fortune to return it? Or shall I just let the yellow rug "idea" go and get over it and get looking for something else?

Wouldn't you know it?????? I'm so sad about it, since I thought it was such a great idea from you all! I was really getting into having a "yellow" room!

I'm reposting pics of the rug, wallpaper, and dining room just to refreshen your memory!

Thanks alot and I appreciate your help!

Comments (48)

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Hi -- I wasn't here for the yellow rug discussion originally, so you may have already considered this. I really like your wallpaper (very pretty room), but I don't think it's a great idea to match the dominant yellow of the wallpaper to the dominant color of your rug, particularly not when the pattern in the rug is nearly identical (although with fewer flowers) to the pattern in your wallpaper.

I would rather see you pick up a bit of the blue, blush or cream colors in the rug, with yellow being only an accent. Also, I think it would look better if you looked for a pattern as opposed to another floral. So I guess my vote would be to count the out-of-stock runner as a blessing and keep looking.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think it might be a tough match, but maybe not. I like what you currently have but would do a really large rug in there.

I actually think you've got enough going on and no rug, just beautiful floors, would be really nice :)

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

Well, I'm a yellow rug fan! I like the commonality of the yellow with the fairly busy wallpaper. Plus, I think it would look nice looking out to the black/white tile etc.

So, before you give up or order the big one, have you gone to another rug site? Many of the online rug retailers carry the same rugs. Just type in the rug name and see what happens.

What site were you on? RugsUSA, RugsDirect are two that come to mind.

• whenicit
    16 years ago

I'm with sarschlos-count it as a blessing & look for something else or go 'naked'

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

More evidence that I'm nuts, but here are some nekid virtuals :) I like the garden feeling of your room and would make wood and flowers dominate in there. Not looking for the perfect arrangement, just the general idea. Gather your chairs around the table so they can be seen. It would highlight your beautiful furnishings rather than a rug, imo.

Maybe run a white/light runner down the table?

Then again, maybe you want a light and airy room? If so, I'd try another rug site for your simple yellow, and get a really large one.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's light and airy! : )

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Flow-ers every-where .... ..

• annie1971
    16 years ago

I think light and airy can be achieved using sarschlos' suggestions. If you REALLY want that yellow rug, though, bite the bullet and take the chance that the rug is exactly the color yellow you need. It's extremely difficult to purchase a rug without first seeing it on the floor; even if the colors are right and even if you bring a sample home free of charge, you really have to see it on the floor.
    When I furst saw the rug, I thought it could work nicely with your wallpaper. When I see the rug on the floor however (great job, squirrelheaven), I have to say I would rather see something else, with a yellow accent. And larger.

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

I like the rug you have now, but maybe it is a little too small. I like the change in scale between the larger and smaller floral patterns, and the dark background.

• n2bach1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven,
    You are AWESOME! Thanks so much for taking the time to do the pics. It really does give me something to think about. The only thing that bothers me about having a bare floor are the scratches that are bound to occur when using the dining room. We do use it and I think I would feel better with something underneath. The black rug in the picture is way tooooo small and just an old rug that I used for something under the table.

I've looked for this exact yellow rug online and have not found it anywhere else. It's from Home Decorators. I've looked at (and I'm NOT exaggerating!) probably no fewer than HUNDREDS of rugs. This has been a project for several months. We've had the hardwood floors for almost 2 years. Surely, something will come along!

And thanks to everyone that offered comments. I appreciate each and everyone of them.

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

my first thought was NO RUG and flowers on the table. We do not have a rug and no scatches on the wood floor. We do have felt on the chair legs and check them often -esp. just before company. Beautiful room!

• les917
    16 years ago

N2Bach1, didn't you have a lighter rug in the LR before you moved the burgundy one in there? Not that you have to use the rug, but you might try it for the feel of a rug with a lighter field. For some reason I recall that it had perhaps a darker border, but a lighter ground otherwise, and had the pink and blue tones in it?

I am sorry, I don't think the wood dining set on the wood floor does anything to show off the furniture, and it makes the walls feel way too light compared to the rest of the room in all darker wood tones. I definitely see a rug under the table as a way of creating a break between the wood on the floor and the furniture, and also bringing some color down to the floor from the walls.

• deltabreeze
    16 years ago

The yellow rug is really nice. I usually like bare floors, but the yellow is really fun. If squirrel (great job, BTW) got the dimensions right, though, the rug looks like it would be a bit small.Would it be? I know I mentioned it once before, but have you considered FLOR? They have a yellow that looks like it would work. It's called "walking on clouds"

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Delta :) Actually the rug isn't dimensioned at all. I was just trying to show it as a larger rug in there. I'd go very large on it.

There's also a custom rug shop that comes up on googles that does similar type rugs with your own carpet selections. That way you could get the colors just right.

• jjam
    16 years ago

The yellow rug would be nice but I think it would be impractical under a DR table, just thinking of coffee drips, red wine drips, etc. I'd look for something that would hide them. I know I'd be a lot more relaxed about using the room with a more forgiving rug.

• sandra12
    16 years ago

I don't have any suggestions, but, anybody who thinks wallpaper is going out has not "seen" your room! It is gorgeous!!!!

• soshh
    16 years ago

I would do a sisal, or sisal look rug. It has the warmth of yellow, just a little more neutral, but will lighten up the dark floor. Plus, it will give the room a casual elegance with everything else being so much more formal. Plus, it has a garden feel.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

No, no. Please don't do yellow. Go with some neutral with blues and pinks and yellows, or something with more dominant blue or something like a buttery/white shag. JMHO, but I think your room is way too elegant for sisal.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

• les917
    16 years ago

I'm with patricia43 on the sisal - I know it is being used in very formal spaces, etc. but it still looks like a casual, beach house or family room rug to me.

Still wondering if you have the rug that was in the LR before the burgundy one went in. Even if it is the wrong size, it would be a way to see other colors in there.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a pattern, as suggested above, in a sisal. Is this one the wool sisal I was seeking? I forget where I landed, but the link is below. Amazingly, it comes in blue. The colors and pattern are really nice! imo. I think a bit more floral on the chairs works nicely, but on the floor too, as well as light, just isn't very restful. The wool sisals I've seen are dressier and more refined. I guess it depends on the formality and feel you're ultimately going for. And actually seeing a less formal rug in the space irl. You could also get the 'same' rug done in a bordered carpet that would feel more formal.

Yes, Patricia, I'll pull your rug in :))

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Patterned Sisal

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here ya go! :)

• emilynewhome
    16 years ago

I think the blue rug photo picks up the blue in your dining chairs and in your wallpaper, which if you're wanting to keep the room light and airy is another way to go.
    I'm not too keen on the yellow rug as four yellow walls, plus a yellow floor is too much of one color for your room!

• soshh
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I love that patterned sisal! Will have to keep that site bookmarked for sure.

• emilynewhome
    16 years ago

Sorry, I see that your chairs are actually pink, 'squirrelheaven' does such a great job, as the 'blue seat covers' do coordinate nicely with the blue rug.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I really like the sisal. That is exactly what I had in mind. The blue is very pretty, but I think it competes a bit too much with the wallpaper -- which should be the focal point in that room.

The sisal plus a pretty vase in the center of the table (maybe a very simple table runner to protect it from the vase) really dress the room nicely without competing with your wallpaper.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Love the blue rug. The sisal is very pretty, but in my mind, I think the "oriental" rug is a better idea with your style of furniture. I probably have to learn to think outside the box. I thought the yellow rug was too matchy.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Here's another.
    Although I would be concerned about the yellow's being off. Tried to find blues, like Patricia's, which is gorgeous btw!
    {{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I like the last one posted by kmcg85 better than the yellow rug. I agree with Les that I think you need a rug to emphase both your beautiful floors and your table (drooling over that lyre table!)

While I agree the yellow rug is beautiful, I don't think the style goes well under a table due to the way the flowers are offset. I think it would look much better in a living room with furniture on the non-floral ends. In either case, I think it would really limit your decorating options with those flowers on opposite ends like that because the flowers are meant to be highlighted.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Taking a cue from Squirell's sisal, a nice lattice pattern might be nice also.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Looking at the most recent photos showing the black and white diagonal foyer, open floorplan, repetition of the yellow, blue, and pink across the rooms -- as well as in the floral fabrics, paintings, and other accessories -- I lean more towards quieting the patterns on the floor in both rooms. I think breaking up overall expanses of pattern work well, also -- each rug does this, as does a couple simple wide-matted botanicals on the dr wall. I also like the way the dr room repeats the diagonal pattern but in a different way, rather than introducing something else. Layers of pattern can be beautiful, but do need areas of relief.

I think this looks very pretty overall and picks up on the garden feel of bach's rooms.

(That's an oval center on the lr rug ... the piecing to create a bigger rug makes it a heart : )

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Something like this seems to work nicely too, moving the blue rug to the lr. Can't tell about the actual blues of this one with the chairs, as they're probably both off, but the styling and pattern look pretty.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Buying mail order when you need exact color matches is tricky, iffy business. If it were me, I'd take a sample of the wallpaper with me and beat the pavement around town in every rug shop. That way you can see it in person, and also not pay shipping.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

It might be pretty to bring some color to the curtains too :)

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

I thought I liked the yellow until I saw the first blue rug posted by Patricia. Gorgeous combo-- it looks like a really well-designed room. I think if you go with yellow, it will work but in a safe matchy-matchy way. The blue looks stunning and amazingly put together.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Check out this site's woven wool rugs, which have a similar English Garden feel like your rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woven Wool Rugs

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think white paneling works really well to transition between the patterned wallpaper and a patterned rug. Works really well with the style of your house as well. Here's kmcg's rug:

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Oooh - that white paneling looks really good. I like that with kcmg's yellow rug shown in the 19:17 post.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'm wondering if the chairs are moved away from the table just for the picture?

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Reminds me a bit of this: (ok, so this is a little bigger)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That style of rug would work nicely in her rooms too. Here's the yellow rug again, but w/o the paneling. I left the wall pics because something really is needed to break up the expanses of pattern.

Hmmm, I'm thinking a nice big header over that entrance, too :)) Mouldings and woodwork add so much to a room.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Thanks Squirrel for pointing her to the rug! You are corect in that it is the Karastan. Now that I see it in the room, thanks to you, I see too much pattern! It is to alike the walls! Anyway, a "quie"t rug seems to be needed here! I think something that reads more solid is the way to go. Don't discount the fact that you can always find a carpet you like and have it cut to any size and bound. Really not a big price difference for what you want. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

The paneling makes all the difference in the world, though, in making the rugs work with the paper. Even though your rug is much the same as the paper, it seems to look very pretty there with the paneling break.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I agree! The paneling looks very elegant and breaks up the competing (?) pattern of the rug and paper. However, if there are no plans for paneling or faux paneling, I think something without too much pattern would be better. Almost brings us back to square one agin with the original idea of the mostly solid rug. (Hey, didn't we go around and back again in Valinsv's post?) he he

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Just playing...

{{!gwi}}