Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

experience with Room and Board?

Sueb20
11 years ago

We actually have a new one opening in our area in "late 2013" but for now, I can only gaze upon the web site. In my quest for a new LR coffee table, I keep coming back to this one. I just want something simple that will work with my eclectic mix of stuff but especially w/ my dark oak mission pieces (since I am not fickle about my love for mission style, so they're likely to stay with me for life). Anyway, this table does have lots of positive reviews but just wanted to see if anyone has had experiences, good or bad, ordering from this store. Thanks! PS I am looking at the walnut top, if that matters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsons table

Comments (13)

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

I have two of those tables, but in end table size.

They seem well made and study. The finish is a little delicate to stand up to toddler abuse so we've put them away for now, but if you use coasters you'll be fine.

• ohgoodness
    11 years ago

I've had great experiences ordering from this store. First, I ordered two leather chairs. I've had them for about 8 years and they've held up well. Next, I ordered a table and six chairs. Once the table was in my kitchen, I realized the size and style didn't really work so I sent it back and picked a different one. They were so great to work with, didn't charge me for the switch which was my mistake. I've since moved to a different house and have kept the kitchen set even though it may be a little small for my new space. I just love it so much I don't want to let it go. It is solid natural cherry and to me just beautiful. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

• sas95
    11 years ago

We have the same table with different style legs (the have since discontinued the style). We have the walnut top, too. We have had it about a year. The quality is very good, and the finish has been durable (we have 2 cats but no kids-- we don't baby it, but it doesn't take much abuse).

We have had good luck in general from Room and Board. They're a reliable retailer.

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

I've had good experiences with Room and Board. Bought an upholstered bed and a TV armoire with 2 drawers.

The bed has screw-in brushed steel legs. About 2 years ago, I had painters in to redo my MBR. Told them several times "Please do not move the bed" because when the original delivery/assembly guys put it together, they really screwed the alignment on the legs at the foot of the bed, so obvious that when I walked up the steps to my 2nd floor, I could see clearly that they were put on crooked. So they had to move both those feet over 2 inches or so (obv can't reuse the drilled hole).

I really had no confidence in those guys, so I've been extremely careful whenever I try to move the bed, using sliders on the carpeting.

But of course the painters felt they were doing me a favor moving the bed back against the wall when they were done. That nudged the legs off to the side a bit.

I called Room and Board (by this time they'd opened a store not too far from me), explained the situation and they sent a guy over to redo the work, no charge.

(I still lust over several things in their catalog!)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

I have a secondhand R&B DR table that I use as a small conference table in my office. It's the Parsons style (like the OP coffee table) with a metal base and a frosted glass. I think it's indestructible.

We've considered getting an upholstered bed from R&B but when reading the comments, some have complained about the construction not holding up over time. I don't think you'd find that to be the case with the table.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reviews!

I was seriously considering this table from RH, which DH loves, but I am concerned that this "industrial" trend will be gone before you know it, and I'm looking for a table that I'll still be happy with five years from now.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

The Parsons table is a classic design that works in virtually any kind of interior. It's been in production in one form or another since the 1930s. While a crazy finish of some kind could date it, that's not the case with the table you've posted. You should get years and years of use out of it.

• demifloyd
    11 years ago

I had a great experience last year.

I ordered a cowhide ottoman.
    It was delivered professionally and set up in no time.

Great followup from Room and Board and item was of high quality and as advertised.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, I want a cowhide ottoman!

Well, I'm impressed so far. I went ahead and ordered the table this morning after learning that my "local" RH didn't have the other table in stock -- I didn't want to order that particular table without seeing it in person, and there are no reviews for it online. Within hours, they called me to schedule delivery! It's not coming for a few weeks, but I was happy that they scheduled delivery so quickly.

I can't wait til the store opens in my area!

• pirula
    11 years ago

I bought a bunk bed and nightstand for my son's room and the quality was excellent. The person they were sold to (after he'd more than outgrown the whole bunk bed "thing") is pleased as well, no complaints. The furniture was solid maple, and made in the U.S.

I've also gotten a few Galbraith & Paul pillows from them and they are also excellent. So, an overall good experience here, albeit a few years back now.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I love room and board. We have the metro sofa in leather from them and it has held up really well. I have been eyeing the parsons table as well. Of the big name brand stores like PB, RH, west elm etc, I would trust the quality and the customer experience at room and board more.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

We've ordered two couches and several small tables and consoles from Room and Board over the years.
    Everything has held up well and is good quality.
    I would buy from them again.

My sense is that more of their furniture is made in America than Restoration or Potterybarn.
    They don't seem to have sold out for cheap Chinese manufacturing like so many other companies.

• hollybegonia
    8 years ago

My husband and I bought the Chelsea sofa from R&B about 10 years ago. After MUCH discussion with store personnel, we decided to go with the stock fabric. They persuaded us that it would hold up the best on the tight seat. Well, if this is the best Room and Board has to offer, it is crap. We waited months & months to get it because it was back ordered. Then it came with a small tear in the upholstery, so back it went & we were left with more waiting--and this time no sofa to sit on. After a couple of months with the new couch, I noticed an indentation in the seat cushion. It has never gone away. (Fortunately, you can't see it, but it's there!). Then the fabric started to pill very badly. I have snipped the pills off carefully (twice!), but of course they return. The fabric also sags terribly on the seat. Every time I get up, I have to stretch/smooth it out to look OK. We sit on the couch a lot but have no children or pets, so I think it should have held up much better than this. Did I mention that all these issues surfaced within a year? My parents had a tight-seat & back sectional that never had these problems in 50+ years. On the plus side, it still feels comfortable and looks good -- as long as we don't actually use it (hah!).