Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncdel_gw

another opinion needed re pendant light

ncdel
11 years ago

my basement project is stressing me out! you poor people are going to see 'i need opinions' posts every day.
Yet another thing I'm not thrilled w/ in the basement finishing process.
1. the tile frame in the wet bar- I get that they made it level w/ the bottom of the cabinets but I thought it would be more rectangular and maybe it'll be better once the faucet is there taking up some of the space below it. I don't think there is anything I can do about it now w/out having to pay for all the supplies & labor again for that area :(. Not going to happen.

2. More important now- the height of the pendant. It is currently crooked & they can fix that but it is 35 inches above the counter & I think it looks really weird. This is not a sink where we'll be doing lots of dishes & things, I'm not concerned about a 6 ft tall person standing over it & washing though I don't want anyone to hit their head...but I have read that pendants over sinks can be as low as 28" above the counter & all I want is a couple inches lower to be more centered in the framed area... Contractor texted he doesnt think they can go lower but I don't know why, it came with three 12 inch stems and a 6 inch stem.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I agree with you! Ideally it would be nice if the shade part of the pendant were centered in the tile "box." Hard to tell whether that means adding a 6" stem or a 12" stem, but either way, I can't imagine why your contractor wouldn't be able to do it.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think the light looks fine at the height it is, but it's the tile frame that's throwing it off. I think I'd be inclined to find some art that would fill that frame or a wall sculpture to float in it and the light would look more like it was placed to feature the art. Even a contrasting tile (or maybe a few relief cast tiles) would add some interest inside the frame. If you lower the light to the center of the frame, it's going to look like you intended the light to be a framed art piece.

At first I thought this was a mirror but I guess it's a pass through. You can't see the whole pendant, but based on the cabinets, it looks to be about the same height. I like how they have the contrasting back splash and even though you can't tile it like this, maybe you could do something contrasting with tile in that lower area to make the higher frame seem deliberate. Like tiling a piece and have it installed in front of the existing tile, kind of like this, still with something interesting in the framed area?

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Cleveland Design-build Artistic Renovations of Ohio LLC

• ncdel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm interesting idea! the tile in the framed area is actually hung on a diagonal which I don't think is clear in the photo, in order to create some contrast in the middle- I didn't want to put a lot into this backsplash but wanted to make it slightly more interesting than just all horizontal or diagonal tiles...I liked the idea in theory but in execution ehhhh, it's weird looking b/c of the height of it & then the pendant over it. Further confirmation of my lack of decorating skill & foresight. Sigh.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Maybe not this style, but it could be a more fun/interesting feature with a little creativity.

{{!gwi}}

I wonder if a wall decal of some kind might work - like a medallion or something fun? If you want something to make more of a statement (not what you had planned, but might work nicely) you could even stretch fabric on a canvas and hang from command hooks inside the frame.

• rovo
    11 years ago

DefInitely needs to be lowered, and this is typically a simple matter of adding length to the stem. If it came with three 12 inch stems, then you have what you need and your contractor needs just to remove the fixture, add stem length (thread wire through), and reinstall. Perhaps he cut the wire short to install at this length? In that case, he needs to rewire (simple if he knows what he is doing). Good luck!

• ncdel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. He texted that he wasn't sure if the wire was tossed. To me, this is an issue- the electrician is scheduled to come back early next week to finish installed a whole bunch of other fixtures so he'll be here anyway and I was never consulted about height. I am glad you guys agree this shouldn't be an issue. I think I"m also going to try to find some darker colored things to put in the 2 corners of the counter to balance the space a bit...bottles of red wine on one side maybe and something else decorative like on the other side I guess (maybe even a plate or something, I might have something in a cupboard LOL).