Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkelly_gw

My staircase runner was installed this afternoon!!

kitchenkelly
16 years ago

I really like it. BIG, HUGE thanks to Deb (aka dlm2000.)

Deb, you were so helpful in all of this. You have no idea how much I appreciated it. I actually printed out your staircase and gave it to the installer and said, "It needs to look like this."

Sorry for the bad pics, the staircase is right in front of the entry door. (My grand foyer is 3 feet by 6 feet.) The only way to get a better pic is to stand outside and it is snowing like a dickens.)

Comments (16)

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the original post if you are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original post on request for help on runners

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Kelly, that looks perfect! Great job.

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

Very nice Kelly!

I got an estimate of $400 and upwards for installation, carpet and padding from a local installer. Is that in the ballpark of what you paid? If I'm not being too forward.

Did you ever find out the name of that installation method, NOT "waterfall"? I don't need to act like a know-it-all, but I think it helps to know the terminology, specifically to get the look you're after.

What sort of carpets did you and Deb use? I love how confident you both were in getting something a little bolder than beige, I don't know if I'll be as brave.

My stairs have carpeted risers that need to be replaced. They are the fugliest 80s turquoise, and really detract from the beautiful woodwork. Any guidelines would be appreciated.

I just took some quick measurements. The bottom three steps anyway have 27 inches of runner, with 3 inches on either side, well almost 3 on one side, close enough. :o)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That looks gorgeous, Kelly! You've done such an excellent job on your house. It's really pretty and pulled together : )

Looking at dlm's also, are these sisal look carpets?

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

kelly that looks great! Love your staircase - very crisp - right up my alley. And the glimpse beyond the stairs is very inviting - please share more. You have to be thrilled with the way it tured out. Did the installer roll his eyes at you when you handed him the pic?

Deb

squirrel the rug in my family room is sorta sisal looking but I don't think the runner is in that category. It's just a low pile texture weave.

• paddytc
    16 years ago

KithenKelly-- Your carpet looks great..Love it. I might be copying you soon. I keep going back and forth whether to put a runner in or not. Our house before renovations had a runner but the color was light we put in before kids :) Now one dog and 4 kids I don't know how clean it would stay, maybe a darker color like yours. Great job on your house. Paddytc

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deb, I am so glad you saw the pic. I attached a site where I have more pics. (I don't want to post pics here because I think people are sick of them. I am very needy I think.) I don't think the installer thought I was weird that I had a pic. I did my research! Thanks again!

Hi squirrelheaven, Mine is a wool loop pile? (I just googled it.) I wanted something that would be very durable and a low pile because of the hounds. My dog Buddy is so relieved that I got carpet on there. He fell a few times and was nervous each time he came down the stairs. We did a few victory laps tonight.

prairiegirlz, turquoise? I think we will need some pics, please. It is called california roll (vs waterfall.) I don't think I went bold. It is pretty close to the stair stain. lol.

As far as the cost, I don't mind. The serging of the sides was $125 and the installation was $165. I can't remember the cost of the carpet but it wasn't inexpensive. I needed a 12 by 6 piece. I want to say $600? Anyway, I tried to find a remnant but didn't have any luck. Which is good because I really like what I picked out.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FR

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol paddytc, if you copy me then you are picking the next project.

Thanks.

• polkadots
    16 years ago

It looks wonderful Kelly! It really does. I love everything you have done with your place. Congratulations!

• jjam
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!

• shaun
    16 years ago

Looks beautiful!

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

polkadots, jjam and shaun: Thank you for the nice comments. (You make me blush.)

It is really nice to see a project turn out well. The expense of the stair renovation was pricey (but well worth it to me) so it would be terrible if I hated the way it turned out.

Thanks again.

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

Ok, kkelly.....I just tripped though all your public albums and it's official - I love your kitchen and your family room and your front garden......where are you located - zone wise? And the pooches aren't too shabby, either! I have seen some of the pics before but I'm absolutely terrible about remembering who's name goes with which house because I don't hang here all the time and there are just so many posters here - can't keep them all straight! I'm in process with a powder room re-do and noticed you have a mirror hanging over your wainscoat in your p.r. - I'm installing beadboard in mine and that's one of the things tripping me up because I want it higher than chair rail height and that meants it will be higher than the bottom of the mirror. Any chance you can get a full on shot of yours for me? I could ask a million questions but I'll stop with 452 ;-)

thanks

• kitchenkelly
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Deb, thanks for the compliments. Right back at ya. I think your house is lovely.

I am in MN, zone 4. Those pics were taken last year when les and squirrelheaven were helping me with my door color. (Of course, they were right!)

On the pic of the mirror. First, anything for you. BUT, I can't get a great pic because the room is so tiny (5 x 4.) I am not crazy about the mirror because I think it sticks out a little too much but it was expensive so it is staying. I got it from RH.

Here is a side pic. You can see that it sticks out from the wall. Mine is 4".

HTH

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

yup, that helps - thanks so much. Mine is a framed mirror that hangs from picture wire so will have to come up with some way to offset it to accommodate the beadboard cap.

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

Lovely!