Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Decorating around Queen Anne red velvet chairs

kellienoelle
11 years ago

This may be premature, since we still have 5 weeks to move in date, but it is hard not to get excited and want to start decorating in your head! We have purchased a 1920 house, pretty traditional in structure. It was renovated in 2009 from the studs out, so most of the original features are long gone, but I know that I can add some of the missing charm back in over time.

This house has a living area in the front of the house, then a new addition off the back of the house open to the kitchen that is a "hearth room/family room" where we will spend the bulk of our TV watching, hanging out time. So the front room can be a little more formal. My in laws are moving as well and getting rid of some furniture. We are now in possession of a couple of red velvet Queen Anne chairs with a carrara marble topped side table. They are excited to keep them in the family, we are excited to have them! Much swankier and more traditional than my norm, but I think they will look great. I'd love to have thoughts on how to incorporate these into more of an eclectic style without going over the top traditional in that room. Here are the pics of the chairs, then the existing room which is essentially a blank slate. Changing the paint, mantle, etc. all a possibility (over time of course), other furniture for that room, rug, window treatments are all on the table (well subject to budgetary constraints). According to the real estate listing the room is 21 x 11, so long and skinny. What types of things should I be looking to pair with this?

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 19:20

Comments (80)

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

Would love to see those chairs on a black and white harlequin print rug with one of those gold tone tree bark tables between them.

http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/07/mystery-of-my-golden-stumps-solved.html

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Here is what I'm seeing....

Chairs to the left of the fireplace with a smaller table between. But I would also live with the marble table in between - it could work with more contemporary accessories on top.

Clean lined Loveseat or apartment sofa across - nothing too leggy, as the chairs are leggy and curvy

Something like this: (and I quite like this color - you can bring in accents w/pillows to tie the room together)

I love layering color and texture - a nice sisal to anchor the seating area with a black/white zebra skin would be so much fun. But this is not for everyone.

Do you like a greek key rug?

You said you loved damask -- this one is nice:

A coffee table too - maybe something in lucite: (cb2 has a nice, inexpensive one)

Another thing to change up would be the wall sconces. Haven't had a chance to really look at much but these were pretty cool:

I can totally visualize this room with these pieces....

• Janice742
    11 years ago

The link below has some helpful "looks"

Here is a link that might be useful: lucite table - mixing styles

• Rudebekia
    11 years ago

I've got a 1910 house with a burgundy red chair/sofa and a traditional look.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. This is fun.

I agree that that first pic by nosoccormom is a great inspiration pic. However, I feel like there is no way I will be able to convince my husband that our walls in our front room should be tourquoise. Do you think a similar look could be acheived with colorful furnishings with a more man friendly paint color, such as gray ;). Or will it not have as much of an impact?

Janice, I quite like that sofa that you posted. Where did you find it? (and as an aside, am I crazy that you used to be able to click the images to find the source on the older version of the website). I also like both rugs that you showed. I am a bit worried about the black base of the one because we have quite a few pets with quite a bit of hair and am concerned that the black would show every single strand. But I do really like the idea of that greek key rug, and google isn't finding it...what is the source for that too?

Anybody have lucite tables? I think that is a great option. Dare I ask how difficult they are to keep clean? As I mentioned, this room wont be our primary "hang out" room so won't get daily use, but worry about dust.

Shoot, I like those sconces too. Can I just hire you to shop for me (and you speak my language with inexpensive CB2)

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Here you go:

Link to sofa:
    http://www.cb2.com/avec-peacock-apartment-sofa/s607401

Link to CB2 table:
    http://www.cb2.com/peekaboo-clear-coffee-table/f699

Here is another on overstock: (but I like the CB2 better)
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Adair-Acrylic-Coffee-Table/2929530/product.html?cid=143974&fp=F&TRACK=CSEShopping&mr:referralID=a92cf948-7ac6-11e2-8751-001b2166c2c0

Link to Greek Key rug:
    http://www.shadesoflight.com/product.php?productid=426743&cat=409&page=1

Link to sconces:
    http://www.shopcandelabra.com/robert-abbey-mary-mcdonald-directoire-wall-sconce-in-antique-brass-black-shade.html

I don't normally spend this much time on someone else's room... but I just love those chairs - and appreciate your willingness to take some chances in the room - leaning toward eclectic and a little funky. The space is so inviting.
    I'm in the middle of a first floor redecorating frenzy. Trying to work with what I have - purchase a few key pieces. I'm amazed by how my space has improved just by new paint and rearranging furniture.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'd like to see them updated rather than simply included in a more contemporary or funky room. Although that might upset your in-laws!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 14:23

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I think updated is nice too - but I recently had a quote for a similar chair to be reupholstered and it is pricey. (like $900 for labor & fabric)

I think she is looking at about $1500 - $2000 total to re-do those chairs. Which can totally be worth it when you look at the fact that you can't buy a decent chair for under $1000.

It's one of those tough choices....
    If you love the red - and they are in great condition, keep them.
    If you are not crazy about the red, but are just trying to make them work - then bite the bullet and change them.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Kellie- if you right click on pics that someone has inserted from the internet and scroll down to "view image source" it will give you the link to where the photo originated. You can copy that and paste it into your browser and get to the original webpage. This will not work if the poster has downloaded a photo from photobucket or their own computer.

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

Kellie, I am helping my daughter reupholster a chair EXACTLY like yours. She picked it up at a garage sales and knows nothing about its history. Do you have an idea of their age? The upholstery on yours is in nice shape!!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the suggestions, but changing the upholstery isn't in the cards. The current velvet is in great condition, I personally like it quite a bit, and don't want to change immediately for the benefit of my in-laws. So I hope to fit into the room as best as possible. As I mentioned before, my "style" (to use that term loosely) is easy-peasy so I am not afraid of breaking any cardinal decorating rules. I just want to make it look as best I can and be as cohesive as possible (I always feel like I need to throw in the within budget caveat). I have received many suggestion in this thread that have made me quite hopefully that this is possible. I know that the look may not be for everybody, but appreciate the feedback to help make it work!

Funnygirl - I sadly don't know their history. I know that my in-laws bought at an antique store while traveling and they have lived in their living room for many years. They are wanting to trade them for the more practical la-z-boy! Please show how your upholstery project works out and how your daughter is using them in her room!

Olychick - thanks for the tip. This was driving me CRAZY, not just in this thread but in others where I wanted to see where something was from without interrupting the flow of the thread!

Snookums - I don't know what will upset them more, changing their chairs or when they see how I have decorated around them. I have been warned not to say "funky" in front of them about the room, but to use eclectic instead ;) But in the end, I want to keep them as is for now. I think they would appreciate that far more!

Janice - I appreciate the ideas so much and like that you are taking the time to contribute to the room!!! I seriously love everything that you have suggested. In fact, I feel like I should offer you a design fee. I am glad you share the vision at making sure the chairs look their best in a room that may be a bit "different", but I do feel like there has to be a way to make it a bit fun plus a bit elegant all at the same time!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I actually got the OK from my husband to do a zebra hide rug in that room. I showed him this picture to get the OK (also would be OK with the black and white angus cow hide as an homage to the cows we currently drive by daily as we leave them for a more urban location) .

I pointed out the pillow are similar in color to the chairs (albeit a bit more pink), the gray would be a good paint color for the walls, the coffee table is lucite so would highlight the rug and any accessories, the couch is modern, but the room has some ornate features like the chairs do.

And I found this one linked below for a decent price, but worry about the size at 4'6" x 6'6" being a bit too small. The room is long and skinny at 21'x11', and the couch will be floating in the middle, so maybe it would work? I know that these types are more decorative due to their unique shape. The CB2 table is 3'1"x1"10".

Yay or nay on this path?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:22

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

Just an FYI. I just purchased that Greek key rug for my sunroom. It is by Jaipur,and was less than half the price from Overstock than it is at Shades of Light, with their 10 percent coupon.

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohhh, thanks! Good to know Dee, that would be pretty inexpensive for the size I think I would need (5'x8). How do you like it?

Now I need to decide if I take a risk with the hide, or go with the Greek Key.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

I saw cow hides at Sams club about 2 weeks ago. But I don't remember if they had black and white or the price. They were real hide however. I do think the zebra would look amazing!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went ahead and ordered the zebra hide rug, so no turning back from that decision. The price was good. If it doesn't work, I can use it somewhere else in the house. Still in a bit of shock I got the nod from the husband, so I figured I should order immediately! I think I'll also order that lucite table as well. Then I'll just need a sofa/loveseat/chair of some type. Then the fun of picking out paint and accessories will begin!

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

:) I agree, do it quick before he changes his mind.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

One thing you don't want to do is have a rug that is too small. So I would go bigger. You can always wait to order and tape the approx. size on the floor with painters tape so you can visualize.

I have two sources that I've found for hides. I plan to order a cowhide for my family room, but just haven't decided on color.

One link is below (this one has a large size)
    and here is another:

http://cowhidesinternational.com/asccustompages/products.asp?cartID=338726310238&affID=&categoryid=405&navParent=115

And not that you want to spend any more $$$, but some nice panels will look great on your windows. (did I already say that?)

Here is a link that might be useful: zebra

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I certainly understand about the turquoise :) How about something like Wythe Blue, Woodlawn Gray, or Beach Glass. Or something more into a blueish gray?
    Or pick a gray from the fireplace tiles?
    Or maybe even a relatively light/cream color?
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think that the size of the rug I posted will work. I was doing some measuring and mock ups in my head....the room is 11 feet wide, a couple of feet will be needed for walkway behind the sofa, the sofa will likely be a couple of feet wide, and then the fireplace takes up almost a foot. So what is left is pretty narrow! I can get an apartment sized sofa which will be more petite!

Nosoccormom - I love that look in those photos even with the pale walls. The difference though maybe the very dark color of the floors. Ours appear to be more of a mid tone so not quite as much contrast as in those photos. I looked up those colors, and like the Beach Glass, or even picking a gray from the fireplace surround. I was thinking perhaps even going a smokey slate color thinking that if a blue or tourquoise sofa or chair was added it would give more contrast.

What do you think of this couch? I am slightly reluctant to order online, but the color and price are sure right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couch

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

The first two sofaâÂÂs are very inexpensive on Urban Outfitters. The bottom sofa and dog are on Anthropolgie.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Love that blue!

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love that blue too! And the price as well. I realized that I have veered away from the "clean lines" sofa, but I think there will be some modern touches with the rugs and coffee table so it could still work within the room

However, in my head I had envisioned a lighter blue with the chairs and rug. Will this read too primary color/USA,USA!? Because I also like the gray in the same sofa (similar in color to the one I posted last night), I could bring in color with accessories and pillows, as well as paint (while I dont' think turquoise would go over well, I know I could do a nice "historic" blue.

• patricianat
    11 years ago

I would use soft colors in very straight line furnishings, perhaps a zebra rug or tiger as depicted, perhaps a glass/chrome or cocktail table. Keep everything very contemporary except these 2 surprise chairs. I think I would use the marble table as a very stabilizing piece in a guest bedroom of contemporary furnishings, or a table to place beside your tub. Grab some lime, strawberry, orange pillows for a sectional sofa and large contemporary art, and I love the floor piece dog.
    When you cannot match, go totally opposite.

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Here is another option in a gray:

Check out their accent pieces - and side tables. Very cool! We have a store close by and I've seen their stuff in person. Good quality at reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: zgallerie

• Janice742
    11 years ago

Look what I found! And they have having a sale!

Here is a link that might be useful: sofa/loveseats

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How about this couch?

{{!gwi}}

And I'll recap the items that I have into one post for clarity since a few different ideas have been tossed around....
    The room

(these are the PO's things so will be gone)

The chairs and table (which can be used in another room if it doesn't fit in here)
    {{!gwi}}

The rug

{{!gwi}}

The coffee table (haven't purchased yet, but probably will)
    {{!gwi}}

Current thought is paint the walls a pale steel blue/gray. Cranberry chairs on left by the window, sofa in front of fireplace with rug and coffee table in front (maybe the marble topped table on the right end with another chair on that side). Then tie in the colors with pillow and accessories.

Is this on the right track?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janice, I was recapping while you were posting and see some better choices on your link. Look at the Lenox sofa, that could look great (albeit, it doesn't look super comfortable).

{{!gwi}}

This is a great find, lots of possibilities here!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

The rug used to be on âÂÂOâÂÂ. You can find cool art on the Maine student art section. Painting by Pat Lynch. I'm just throwing some more idea's out there. Ignor if you don't like.

Sorry, you may have to zoom in the picture does not want to resize (I think)

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 15:18

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

P.S I do like the black and white Zebra rug. My only worry is that it has been so "done" That your room could look dated very fast :)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had gone ahead and ordered the zebra rug since the price was right. If it doesn't work, I can use it in the bedroom or office instead. Plus I live in Kansas so it takes a while for trends to reach us, so hopefully not quite dated yet! But I did really like a couple of the other options, so I know I have a backup plan.

I can't zoom in and when I click it takes me to the photobucket home page, I am intrigued by a couple of items....is that a floor lamp in the right bottom corner?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did a quick mock up of some major items to the best of my ability. The layout will obviously be a bit different, but has the larger items. Obviously the details are will be what ties everything together. Opinions?

• jmc01
    11 years ago

Kellie, Reread your OP. Are you moving down a path that's consistent with your OP?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi Kellienoelle,
    The standing floor lamp is from ITalamp and has no price (yikes) I do love it though.

This little guy is on Wayfair, modern brass lamp search.

I like the idea of displaying some cool art on an easel (maybe a corner?). This painting may not be your style put I like that it has a bit of chair color in it, also that it gives a modern touch and also because it helps with mixing other textures that that might not work otherwise (like the side table with chairs and the texture in the rug and floor lamp.

Maybe not this exact easel but you get the idea.

Love these pillows but do not know where I found them. They both look great on the blue sofa. Sorry I seem to be wack with the sizing.

Why can't I get this stinking picture to resize?

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:13

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

My feeling is that the gray sofa and the grayish walls aren't going to be enough of a contrast; however, I'm sure others will chime in who have a better eye for colors.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love that art on an easel idea. I will have to wait on that to see if there is a good place for it next time I am there (or I'll just go peer in the windows haha). I also like the idea of that floor lamp, although that must be out of my price range if they can't list the price. Joss and Main also has one at a price that I like.

I think I like most things except for the marble topped table, that would be used in another room if need be. Here is another table option that I like, maybe even get 2 at that price, one for between the chairs, one between the sofa/chair.

The wall color appears more blue than gray on the little paint chip, it is Wedgewood gray, but that will be something I have to try out once we move in. Paint colors always vary so much based on lighting.

If the snow plows don't come through soon I'll have this room all done with just online finds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

• Janice742
    11 years ago

I'm not seeing that between the chairs. A little too "organic"

See link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: side tables

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Kellie, before you buy a table for the sofa I would try out the white marble top table slightly off center to the sofa first. It maybe wonderfully eclectic in a good way and also help with the chair blend by having a little something of the same style/era.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I have Sherwin Williams color "Compatible Cream" in my living room and it looks great with red tones... like Marita40's pic above.

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

A lot of nice ideas for sofa's but I hope you are not thinking of buying one onlune without trying it out.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have a Home Decorators Collection nearby so I was able to go by and take a look at that sofa and chair I posted. Obviously this isn't furniture built to last for 30+ years. But I am not paying the money where I would expect it to be. If this was a room that was our primary hang out space I would be willing to invest (as we are planning on doing for the family room in looking at a Hancock and Moore leather sofa.....if I can afford it), but expect this furniture to be "lightly used". I think with the addition of a couple of pillows it will be reasonably comfortable for guests and conversation (obviously not to snuggle in for a movie). I actually like the printed fabric, it appeared more of a pale blue overall appearance than the gray that I had expected. Hopefully will look OK with the hide rug (which - if not, I have already decided would look nice in the master bedroom). But fingers crossed this will all come together. I think I will likely need a different color on the walls than the Wedgewood Gray, but that can be selected later.

OK - I have been looking forever for that red peacock type pillow and cant find it! I really do think that the accessories will hopefully be what ties this all together.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

That sofa is pretty but what about the height/scale thing? IâÂÂm just asking because sometimes these forums are good to get the ideaâÂÂs that are bouncing around into perspective (at lest for me:) How high are the red-ish chairs? How high is that fireplace and mantel? How low is that sofa and will there be something nearby to balance things out?

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good question. The queen ann chairs are actually petite, they are 42" tall at the very tallest. The sofa will be shorter at 33", but that is 2 inches taller than the chairs that are currently in the room, so do you think that will be OK? Not so sure about the fireplace and mantle.

Regarding the sofa, since the room is so skinny, one without an upholstered back seemed like the best choice to decrease the depth.

I also saw a couch today in that pretty peacock color similar to one posted earlier in the thread. I decided that since the chairs are already red and semi-bold in color, I would probably rather bring the color to the rest of the room in pillows since they can be easier changed out when the mood strikes.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

This isn't the peacock feather pillow fabric above, but it's similar, and for $26 a yard, you could make 2 pillows from it. Or more, if you did a coordinating back on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peacock feather fabric Victorian red gold upholstery vintage look

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Kellie, I am no expert so hopefully others will chime in. However, you have a long narrow room with a high fireplace/mantel and two 42" h chairs so I would not go below a sofa back of 37" or so. That's just me though! If the room were bigger and you had more options of balancing things out maybe I would not be as concerned. I hope some experts comment because maybe my worry is for nothing.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 10:06

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

My3dogs, I have that fabric on my settee. I think I have a yard or two left.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah yes, I can see what you are saying about scale. In my head I was thinking something a little shorter would make the room feel more open since the sofa will be floating in the middle of the room. I feel much better about being able to see it in the room without having to pay shipping now that the store is local.

The 42" for the chairs is at the tippy top of the wood, the height of those two wings on the sides are at about 37". Because they will likely be in a different part of the room (against a wall) do you think it is still a big consideration?

Thank you for the fabric link, I would like to get some to have pillows made. Next question, how do you think that fabric would look on a gray blue couch over a zebra hide rug? Now I am starting to have doubts, mostly due to the gold tones in it.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Here's a slightly pricier fabric - Iman Punjab Peacock in 'Noir'. Still striking, with just a hint of red and gold, and may go well with a gray sofa and the zebra rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iman Home Fabric Punjab Peacock Noir

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Have you drawn out the floor plan to scale yet? You will need to know the fireplace location and size for your drawing and include so many inches for the walk isles plus the entry ways, window, doors ect.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I haven't had a chance to yet. Last time we were let in, unfortunately I was unable to join so asked my husband to get the floorplan and measurements. And.....lets just say that we know the room is "roughly" 21" x 11". Maybe we can get in during the appraisal, otherwise it will be a wait and see on move in day.

So, to answer my statement in the very first post, maybe I am being premature!

Thank you for the fabric link, my3dogs. I think that could look lovely and add a nice hint of drama.