Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorating around Queen Anne red velvet chairs

Posted by kellienoelle (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:48

This may be premature, since we still have 5 weeks to move in date, but it is hard not to get excited and want to start decorating in your head! We have purchased a 1920 house, pretty traditional in structure. It was renovated in 2009 from the studs out, so most of the original features are long gone, but I know that I can add some of the missing charm back in over time.

This house has a living area in the front of the house, then a new addition off the back of the house open to the kitchen that is a "hearth room/family room" where we will spend the bulk of our TV watching, hanging out time. So the front room can be a little more formal. My in laws are moving as well and getting rid of some furniture. We are now in possession of a couple of red velvet Queen Anne chairs with a carrara marble topped side table. They are excited to keep them in the family, we are excited to have them! Much swankier and more traditional than my norm, but I think they will look great. I'd love to have thoughts on how to incorporate these into more of an eclectic style without going over the top traditional in that room. Here are the pics of the chairs, then the existing room which is essentially a blank slate. Changing the paint, mantle, etc. all a possibility (over time of course), other furniture for that room, rug, window treatments are all on the table (well subject to budgetary constraints). According to the real estate listing the room is 21 x 11, so long and skinny. What types of things should I be looking to pair with this?

photo 004_zps67b74a8a.jpg

photo Huntington_zps0ce908b7.png
 photo 039_zps9d16f539.jpg

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 19:20

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorating around Queen Anne red velvet chairs

Is that the room? Wow! I love it-so bright and what a great fireplace. I would place the chairs flanking the fireplace and use the table elsewhere in the room or in the cozy room off the kitchen.

o

The second and third pics are the new room! The window and door on the fireplace wall overlook a screened in porch, but there is also a window in the front and back of the room so it looks like it will get plenty of light! I was hoping to get a rug that is more of the dark side, so hopefully that is the case. Maybe something like I linked?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug?

o

These are more of a Victorian parlor chair with a French influence than a Queen Anne. I would probably go highly eclectic with the rest of the furniture.

o

While I am off googling Victorian parlor chair, do you have any suggestions for styles to look at that will read "eclectic" without looking like two rooms collided? My first impulse is to go simple simple lines since these are so ornate with the carved wood and the tufted red velvet. I think there is a way to make them funky rather than stuffy, and that is where I am leaning but have no clue how to make that happen. At the same time, this is the first room you see when you enter the house (along with dining room on the right) so I do want it to be nice.

o

I could see the chairs used in the MB with red/gold comforter/duvet/bedspread, and keeping the atmosphere romantic. Imo, the chairs are on the formal side, therefore I would keep the bedding a little less formal as not to go over-the-top.

Here is a link that might be useful: bedding

o

Those are beautfiul chairs and very victorian. I decorated an entire room around 2 red chairs (somewhat similar to yours) that I found on craigslist. Since you want an eclectic style for the room, may I suggest that you decorate the area with the chairs in a victorian way and go for something less formal throughout the room. Get a fancy lamp to go on the table with a frilly shade. Get lace pillows for the chairs and a doiley for the table. Hang some nice paintings behind the chairs. Just some of my thoughts:)

Maude

o

That would be a great thought, especially in a sitting room off the master. However, we are downsizing to a nice & comfortable, circa 1920, about 2000 sq ft home. What that means is no oversized MB's like my current home has. Sadly, no room up there for anything but bedroom furniture. I'll have to make these work in the living room. Plus they are fun, I want to put them on display a bit.

o

Maude, I was posting at the same time...thanks, I am pretty excited to have them. Do you think that we could do the area in the front to the left of the fireplace (kind of in the corner area in pic 3) in the Victorian style (with a doily!) and then have a different style couch in front of the fireplace and chair on the other side to make the overall room read eclectic? Or would that be (like I mentioned above) two rooms colliding?

I guess I should mention that we are pretty easy breezy style so aren't concerned about breaking any "decorating" rules. But this is completely different from anything that we have had before so aren't quite sure how to incorporate and make them not look completely out of place.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 22:21

o

I would go with a more modern rug, and bring in maybe black and white.

o

Kelli, be daring and do whatever pleases you. Being the chairs are such a different style compared to anything else in the room, maybe you *should* make them the center of attention, and play them up. Maybe use a bold print pillow on each chair, and pull those colors in the room with art, accessories, lamp, rug. etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: example

o

Here's one idea for a rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

o

Kelie that is a perfectly beautiful room! I think your idea for eclectic is just right, but you won't get there using doilies :-)

An updated color scheme would help these look fun and quirky. How about a beautiful robin's egg blue? Or a range of colors in the Mackenzie Childs / Mary Englebreit / Tracy Porter genre? You could use the chairs on either side of the table at the left side of the room, in front of the windows (where the single chair is now in picture #3). I'd use the chairs and table together as they make a charming vignette and are a sort of homage to your in laws' home. I think the right blue on the walls would be very unexpected and act as a beautiful backdrop to the chairs and everything else. All would depend on what you are planning to do color wise with the adjacent porch and other colors downstairs.

The rug you linked to is very dark and somber and ultra traditional. Have you considered something more contemporary and lighter? And perhaps instead of a sofa you could get another pair of upholstered chairs for in front of the fireplace, perhaps in a print that uses the red and other colors, even an ikat type print. If paired with nice ottomans and side tables (instead of a cocktail/coffee table, the room is a bit narrow for that) you would then have seating for six (4 chairs, 2ottomans). It would be a functional room for entertaining or just relaxing in front of the fire. I would look for beautiful and colorful pottery for the mantel as you really don't need a mirror or anything much above it---- there are so many beautiful windows and light. There also isn't any wall space to speak of, so no place for any significant artwork. I wouldn't hang little things around the rooms on either side of the windows, either, as that clutters up a room faster than anything else, IMO. (Our ID always said not to put artwork or anything else on a "service" wall, meaning a wall primarily there in the service of something else, like a window that takes up most of it, or a narrow wall with switches, alarm box, thermostat, etc. )

Congratulations on your new home and I also congratulate you on your willingness to incorporate some of your in laws' cherished possessions ---- and part of your DH's history---- into your own vision of the house.

o

I'm on my iPad and can't post a picture, but here's a link from houzz, below, to a room of mostly windows, with a wood floor and fireplace and a lovely blue and red color scheme.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz link to blue, red and windows living room

o

To integrate them into an eclectic interior, choose a very modern clean lined sofa to go with them and take the rest of the items in the more modern direction. Otherwise, you are looking at doing a type of Disney Victorian which wouldn't suit that bright cheery room at all.

YES

NO

o

When you say "eclectic," do you mean like nosoccermom is suggesting, or do you mean the 2 chairs mixed in with your traditional items?

If you ever decide to reupholster the chairs, and truly want eclectic, do something like this

More examples in the link, and on their website/blog:

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique 2 Chic

o

Thank you thank you thank you. Now you are talking my language and I am loving these ideas! I was afraid that the responses would be that this wouldn't fit at all! I am leaning towards placing the three items grouped under that window on the left like kswl mentioned, and then going a bit funkier in the rest of the room.

What is funny is that I moved the chairs into an existing living room type area which is decorated with pale blue and really like the combo (those chairs are not coming with us, so cant' be used in the room)
 photo 007_zpsc976d351.jpg
 photo 008_zps9ccbcded.jpg

Maybe paint the walls something like BM Wedgewood gray?

I also like the idea of adding in black and white (you can see it combined with the blue walls in that first picture linked). How about something in a traditional pattern but with bold black and white like this damask rug (which copied very small so I am providing the link as well)?
 photo DemiRuginBlack_zps5ff75ee9.jpg
Then a sofa similar to the one that GreenDesigns linked in front of the fireplace and a chair in a print incorporating both the blue and wine colors on the right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Damask rug

o

I think I'd go funkier for a table between the two chairs and move the table next to a more contemporary seating piece. Something like one of these. They are simple shapes, and it's all about the shape and the reflective modern finish. It doesn't compete with the chairs, but the twist echos their curvy details.

o

Are you thinking then using the cararra marble topped table between the couch and sofa grouping I mentioned above? If I did go with a black and white rug, that could look nice I think..

How do you feel about the damask rug? I worry about about it competing with the tile around the fireplace.

I like the third table above. Where did you find it?

o

I just Google Imaged for Aluminum Side Table. And then cherry picked the images that had the right curves.

The secret to eclecctic design is like taking chocolate ice cream and folding in dark fudge swirls and white chocolate chips. You want the main feeling to be "chocolate", and you're OK with getting a bite of the chocolate ice cream with just fudge or just chips, but if it's not mixed up enough that the swirls and chips are throughout the whole pint, it doesn't really work. When all of the similar pieces are grouped together rather than sprinkled about, the room becomes unbalanced and, well, wierd, rather than wonderful. It's the juxtaposition of the antique with the modern, the sleek with the rustic, the color with the neutrals, the ornate with the plain, and the yin with the yang that makes the whole better than the individual parts.

o

I like the color the room is now, is it in bad shape or could you leave it.
I also love the tiles in the Fireplace and I think the damask rug would not go that well with them.
The rug you are showing the red velvet chairs on in your old LR, is that coming because that rug would go nicely in that new room.
Just my 2 cent.

o

Wish I lived near you! I would take those blue chairs off your hands!

I also like the idea of a modern rug with the chairs. I think the one you have would work if the colors were slightly different-reds instead of the rusts/orange shades.

I cannot wait to see the new room when you are finished! Also, you are so lucky to have the screened porch. I would love to see lots more pictures of your house. It sounds perfect-lots of charm and light!

o

I used Blue, black, white, gold and red in my foyer in my last house.

Photobucket

Downstairs - right side of front door

it was all white when i moved in.
Photobucket

Photobucket

You can do so much in an older house. I love those chairs.

o

The damask rug is still pretty formal, so you may want to use some fun colors on the wall or other furnishings. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you decide.
What colors are in your fireplace tiles?

I'd probably go for something less traditional for the rug

o

I love what you did with your house boopadoo. Those colors are fantastic! I think that room actually could handle a darker color like that with the white trim and the windows. Several of the older houses that we looked at did have a similar color and it looked great. Do you remember what paint color you used? I also like what you did to the wood on the stairs/bannister.

I was planning on using that rug in my bedroom since the floors are hardwood and the colors are perfect with the blues/grays/greens. The other colors are actually shades of tan and not rust or orange. The lighting wasn't great this morning. But I do like the look of a more contemporary rug with the chairs.

That aluminum table linked by GreenDesigns is actually very reasonably priced, so definitely a possibility.

As far as rugs, what type of contemporary design would look OK with the fireplace with the tilework? Again, down the road I wouldn't be opposed to changing it out, but probably wouldn't be our first project.

o

Thanks nosoccormom, you were answering as I was asking....the fireplace tiles are shades of grays and browns (if I recall correctly). Maybe a little rustic ski lodge look, if that makes sense. They are new, and I don't dislike them, but am not married to them.

The rugs you posted, I am most drawn to the first two, guess I like a busy floral type pattern. I like the Chevron, but not my first choice unless it makes the most sense with the other components in the room. Not crazy about the squiggly lines. I also love the zebra in the hide type of shape. But I don't think that would fly with my husband (who pretty much gives me free reign, but occasionally will raise an objection)

o

I like traditional rugs, in funky colors, so I am no help on contemporary rugs. :) the color I used was Bungalow Blue from Eddie Bauer at Lowes. I used Bungalow gold in my DR in that house and loved that color too.

o

What do you think of this chair in that room in front of the fireplace paired with the marble topped table (either with a sofa or get two of these chairs). I could add in some funky type pillows on both to tie it all together.

And I still am drawn to the damask rug. I know that the print if more traditional, but like the play of that with the black an white which I feels makes it more contemporary.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I looked again at the fireplace, and the tiles are more shades of gray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chair

o

Your home is beautiful! I’m wondering if you are open to reupholstering the chairs and painting the wood? I ask because although the color is pretty I think it would be easier to find an eclectic sofa you like if you are open. While I love love vibrant colors it’s the vibrancy, style and wood all together that might make for a hard blend . This may be a no no with you but if you found just the right sofa and was open to reupholstering the chairs…after the fabric is stripped the chair wood could also be painted for a gorgeous eclectic look before the new threads are added.

o

Thanks jterrilynn! I am excited to get decorating! Regarding the fabric and wood, I will definitely not paint the wood, the existing is beautiful! I actually am very fond of the cranberry velvet color. Maybe if I can see that it absolutely doesn't work with anything I want to do, I will reconsider at some point. But for now, I think I would prefer to work around it. I like how it looks paired with the pale blue and hoping to make a black/white/red/blue scheme work in some way. Once I get the basics down (rug, sofa/chairs, other end tables) I am hoping I can use accessories to tie in the different colors.

o
RE: Decorating arou witnd Queen Anne red velvet chairs

I think the first photo nosoccermom posted nailed the look you are after. The chairs are very similar and the modern furniture, accessories, rug and wall color play well with the victorian chairs.The gold roccoco bench really adds punch. This would be an excellent inspiration pic for you! have fun!

o

Would love to see those chairs on a black and white harlequin print rug with one of those gold tone tree bark tables between them.

http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/07/mystery-of-my-golden-stumps-solved.html

o

Here is what I'm seeing....

Chairs to the left of the fireplace with a smaller table between. But I would also live with the marble table in between - it could work with more contemporary accessories on top.

Clean lined Loveseat or apartment sofa across - nothing too leggy, as the chairs are leggy and curvy

Something like this: (and I quite like this color - you can bring in accents w/pillows to tie the room together)

I love layering color and texture - a nice sisal to anchor the seating area with a black/white zebra skin would be so much fun. But this is not for everyone.

Do you like a greek key rug?

You said you loved damask -- this one is nice:

A coffee table too - maybe something in lucite: (cb2 has a nice, inexpensive one)

Another thing to change up would be the wall sconces. Haven't had a chance to really look at much but these were pretty cool:

I can totally visualize this room with these pieces....

o

The link below has some helpful "looks"

Here is a link that might be useful: lucite table - mixing styles

o

I've got a 1910 house with a burgundy red chair/sofa and a traditional look.

photo 014.jpg

o

Thanks for all the responses. This is fun.

I agree that that first pic by nosoccormom is a great inspiration pic. However, I feel like there is no way I will be able to convince my husband that our walls in our front room should be tourquoise. Do you think a similar look could be acheived with colorful furnishings with a more man friendly paint color, such as gray ;). Or will it not have as much of an impact?

Janice, I quite like that sofa that you posted. Where did you find it? (and as an aside, am I crazy that you used to be able to click the images to find the source on the older version of the website). I also like both rugs that you showed. I am a bit worried about the black base of the one because we have quite a few pets with quite a bit of hair and am concerned that the black would show every single strand. But I do really like the idea of that greek key rug, and google isn't finding it...what is the source for that too?

Anybody have lucite tables? I think that is a great option. Dare I ask how difficult they are to keep clean? As I mentioned, this room wont be our primary "hang out" room so won't get daily use, but worry about dust.

Shoot, I like those sconces too. Can I just hire you to shop for me (and you speak my language with inexpensive CB2)

o

Here you go:

Link to sofa:
http://www.cb2.com/avec-peacock-apartment-sofa/s607401

Link to CB2 table:
http://www.cb2.com/peekaboo-clear-coffee-table/f699

Here is another on overstock: (but I like the CB2 better)
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Adair-Acrylic-Coffee-Table/2929530/product.html?cid=143974&fp=F&TRACK=CSEShopping&mr:referralID=a92cf948-7ac6-11e2-8751-001b2166c2c0

Link to Greek Key rug:
http://www.shadesoflight.com/product.php?productid=426743&cat=409&page=1

Link to sconces:
http://www.shopcandelabra.com/robert-abbey-mary-mcdonald-directoire-wall-sconce-in-antique-brass-black-shade.html

I don't normally spend this much time on someone else's room... but I just love those chairs - and appreciate your willingness to take some chances in the room - leaning toward eclectic and a little funky. The space is so inviting.
I'm in the middle of a first floor redecorating frenzy. Trying to work with what I have - purchase a few key pieces. I'm amazed by how my space has improved just by new paint and rearranging furniture.

o

I'd like to see them updated rather than simply included in a more contemporary or funky room. Although that might upset your in-laws!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 14:23

o

I think updated is nice too - but I recently had a quote for a similar chair to be reupholstered and it is pricey. (like $900 for labor & fabric)

I think she is looking at about $1500 - $2000 total to re-do those chairs. Which can totally be worth it when you look at the fact that you can't buy a decent chair for under $1000.

It's one of those tough choices....
If you love the red - and they are in great condition, keep them.
If you are not crazy about the red, but are just trying to make them work - then bite the bullet and change them.

o

Kellie- if you right click on pics that someone has inserted from the internet and scroll down to "view image source" it will give you the link to where the photo originated. You can copy that and paste it into your browser and get to the original webpage. This will not work if the poster has downloaded a photo from photobucket or their own computer.

o

Kellie, I am helping my daughter reupholster a chair EXACTLY like yours. She picked it up at a garage sales and knows nothing about its history. Do you have an idea of their age? The upholstery on yours is in nice shape!!

o

I appreciate the suggestions, but changing the upholstery isn't in the cards. The current velvet is in great condition, I personally like it quite a bit, and don't want to change immediately for the benefit of my in-laws. So I hope to fit into the room as best as possible. As I mentioned before, my "style" (to use that term loosely) is easy-peasy so I am not afraid of breaking any cardinal decorating rules. I just want to make it look as best I can and be as cohesive as possible (I always feel like I need to throw in the within budget caveat). I have received many suggestion in this thread that have made me quite hopefully that this is possible. I know that the look may not be for everybody, but appreciate the feedback to help make it work!

Funnygirl - I sadly don't know their history. I know that my in-laws bought at an antique store while traveling and they have lived in their living room for many years. They are wanting to trade them for the more practical la-z-boy! Please show how your upholstery project works out and how your daughter is using them in her room!

Olychick - thanks for the tip. This was driving me CRAZY, not just in this thread but in others where I wanted to see where something was from without interrupting the flow of the thread!

Snookums - I don't know what will upset them more, changing their chairs or when they see how I have decorated around them. I have been warned not to say "funky" in front of them about the room, but to use eclectic instead ;) But in the end, I want to keep them as is for now. I think they would appreciate that far more!

Janice - I appreciate the ideas so much and like that you are taking the time to contribute to the room!!! I seriously love everything that you have suggested. In fact, I feel like I should offer you a design fee. I am glad you share the vision at making sure the chairs look their best in a room that may be a bit "different", but I do feel like there has to be a way to make it a bit fun plus a bit elegant all at the same time!

o

Wow, I actually got the OK from my husband to do a zebra hide rug in that room. I showed him this picture to get the OK (also would be OK with the black and white angus cow hide as an homage to the cows we currently drive by daily as we leave them for a more urban location) .
 photo zebrahideprintrugpinkcushions_zpsf0d9c90f.png

I pointed out the pillow are similar in color to the chairs (albeit a bit more pink), the gray would be a good paint color for the walls, the coffee table is lucite so would highlight the rug and any accessories, the couch is modern, but the room has some ornate features like the chairs do.

And I found this one linked below for a decent price, but worry about the size at 4'6" x 6'6" being a bit too small. The room is long and skinny at 21'x11', and the couch will be floating in the middle, so maybe it would work? I know that these types are more decorative due to their unique shape. The CB2 table is 3'1"x1"10".

Yay or nay on this path?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 23:22

o

Just an FYI. I just purchased that Greek key rug for my sunroom. It is by Jaipur,and was less than half the price from Overstock than it is at Shades of Light, with their 10 percent coupon.

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

o

Ohhh, thanks! Good to know Dee, that would be pretty inexpensive for the size I think I would need (5'x8). How do you like it?

Now I need to decide if I take a risk with the hide, or go with the Greek Key.

o

I saw cow hides at Sams club about 2 weeks ago. But I don't remember if they had black and white or the price. They were real hide however. I do think the zebra would look amazing!

o

I went ahead and ordered the zebra hide rug, so no turning back from that decision. The price was good. If it doesn't work, I can use it somewhere else in the house. Still in a bit of shock I got the nod from the husband, so I figured I should order immediately! I think I'll also order that lucite table as well. Then I'll just need a sofa/loveseat/chair of some type. Then the fun of picking out paint and accessories will begin!

o

:) I agree, do it quick before he changes his mind.

o

One thing you don't want to do is have a rug that is too small. So I would go bigger. You can always wait to order and tape the approx. size on the floor with painters tape so you can visualize.

I have two sources that I've found for hides. I plan to order a cowhide for my family room, but just haven't decided on color.

One link is below (this one has a large size)
and here is another:

http://cowhidesinternational.com/asccustompages/products.asp?cartID=338726310238&affID=&categoryid=405&navParent=115

And not that you want to spend any more $$$, but some nice panels will look great on your windows. (did I already say that?)

Here is a link that might be useful: zebra

o

I certainly understand about the turquoise :) How about something like Wythe Blue, Woodlawn Gray, or Beach Glass. Or something more into a blueish gray?
Or pick a gray from the fireplace tiles?
Or maybe even a relatively light/cream color?

o

I think that the size of the rug I posted will work. I was doing some measuring and mock ups in my head....the room is 11 feet wide, a couple of feet will be needed for walkway behind the sofa, the sofa will likely be a couple of feet wide, and then the fireplace takes up almost a foot. So what is left is pretty narrow! I can get an apartment sized sofa which will be more petite!

Nosoccormom - I love that look in those photos even with the pale walls. The difference though maybe the very dark color of the floors. Ours appear to be more of a mid tone so not quite as much contrast as in those photos. I looked up those colors, and like the Beach Glass, or even picking a gray from the fireplace surround. I was thinking perhaps even going a smokey slate color thinking that if a blue or tourquoise sofa or chair was added it would give more contrast.

What do you think of this couch? I am slightly reluctant to order online, but the color and price are sure right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Couch

o

The first two sofa’s are very inexpensive on Urban Outfitters. The bottom sofa and dog are on Anthropolgie.

photo urbansofa1_zps8c99d6f0.jpg

photo urbansofablue_zps2ed335a5.jpg

photo urbananthropolgiedalmation_zpseb0883a8.jpg

photo urbananthrolgiesofa_zpsfac64aa9.jpg

o

Love that blue!

o

I love that blue too! And the price as well. I realized that I have veered away from the "clean lines" sofa, but I think there will be some modern touches with the rugs and coffee table so it could still work within the room

However, in my head I had envisioned a lighter blue with the chairs and rug. Will this read too primary color/USA,USA!? Because I also like the gray in the same sofa (similar in color to the one I posted last night), I could bring in color with accessories and pillows, as well as paint (while I dont' think turquoise would go over well, I know I could do a nice "historic" blue.

o

I would use soft colors in very straight line furnishings, perhaps a zebra rug or tiger as depicted, perhaps a glass/chrome or cocktail table. Keep everything very contemporary except these 2 surprise chairs. I think I would use the marble table as a very stabilizing piece in a guest bedroom of contemporary furnishings, or a table to place beside your tub. Grab some lime, strawberry, orange pillows for a sectional sofa and large contemporary art, and I love the floor piece dog.
When you cannot match, go totally opposite.

o

Here is another option in a gray:

Check out their accent pieces - and side tables. Very cool! We have a store close by and I've seen their stuff in person. Good quality at reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: zgallerie

o

Look what I found! And they have having a sale!

Here is a link that might be useful: sofa/loveseats

o

How about this couch?

photo P14354762_zps88d289b4.jpg

And I'll recap the items that I have into one post for clarity since a few different ideas have been tossed around....
The room
 photo Huntington_zps0ce908b7.png

(these are the PO's things so will be gone)
 photo 039_zps9d16f539.jpg

The chairs and table (which can be used in another room if it doesn't fit in here)
 photo 004_zps67b74a8a.jpg

The rug

photo cowhiderug_zpsf8ebf95d.png

The coffee table (haven't purchased yet, but probably will)
 photo peekaboo-clear-coffee-table_zps4b093267.jpg

Current thought is paint the walls a pale steel blue/gray. Cranberry chairs on left by the window, sofa in front of fireplace with rug and coffee table in front (maybe the marble topped table on the right end with another chair on that side). Then tie in the colors with pillow and accessories.

Is this on the right track?

o

Janice, I was recapping while you were posting and see some better choices on your link. Look at the Lenox sofa, that could look great (albeit, it doesn't look super comfortable).

photo 0146400200_zps08999e7a.jpg

This is a great find, lots of possibilities here!

o

The rug used to be on “O”. You can find cool art on the Maine student art section. Painting by Pat Lynch. I'm just throwing some more idea's out there. Ignor if you don't like.

photo 145b178f-c10e-4784-91b1-44ff5c48714e_zpsd00d0827.jpg

Sorry, you may have to zoom in the picture does not want to resize (I think)

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 15:18

o
p.s me again

P.S I do like the black and white Zebra rug. My only worry is that it has been so "done" That your room could look dated very fast :)

o

I had gone ahead and ordered the zebra rug since the price was right. If it doesn't work, I can use it in the bedroom or office instead. Plus I live in Kansas so it takes a while for trends to reach us, so hopefully not quite dated yet! But I did really like a couple of the other options, so I know I have a backup plan.

I can't zoom in and when I click it takes me to the photobucket home page, I am intrigued by a couple of items....is that a floor lamp in the right bottom corner?

o

I did a quick mock up of some major items to the best of my ability. The layout will obviously be a bit different, but has the larger items. Obviously the details are will be what ties everything together. Opinions?

photo 11312121114-Microsoft-PowerPoint-Living-room_zps05123155.png

o

Kellie, Reread your OP. Are you moving down a path that's consistent with your OP?

o

Hi Kellienoelle,
The standing floor lamp is from ITalamp and has no price (yikes) I do love it though.

photo urbanfloorlamp_zps3b53872b.jpg

This little guy is on Wayfair, modern brass lamp search.

photo urbanEmprexOneLightAccentLampinPolishedBrass_zps3824a09e.jpg

I like the idea of displaying some cool art on an easel (maybe a corner?). This painting may not be your style put I like that it has a bit of chair color in it, also that it gives a modern touch and also because it helps with mixing other textures that that might not work otherwise (like the side table with chairs and the texture in the rug and floor lamp.

photo urban18pat-lynch-2010_zpscda206f4.jpg
Maybe not this exact easel but you get the idea.
 photo urbandisplayeasel_zps9fc992ae.jpg

Love these pillows but do not know where I found them. They both look great on the blue sofa. Sorry I seem to be wack with the sizing.
 photo urbanpillow2_zps8f7bdb18.png

photo urbanpillow_zps49679e13.jpg

Why can't I get this stinking picture to resize?
 photo 3e68bfcb-4eda-4170-9172-04cee6a0c593_zpsc8d6931f.jpg

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:13

o

My feeling is that the gray sofa and the grayish walls aren't going to be enough of a contrast; however, I'm sure others will chime in who have a better eye for colors.

o

I love that art on an easel idea. I will have to wait on that to see if there is a good place for it next time I am there (or I'll just go peer in the windows haha). I also like the idea of that floor lamp, although that must be out of my price range if they can't list the price. Joss and Main also has one at a price that I like.

I think I like most things except for the marble topped table, that would be used in another room if need be. Here is another table option that I like, maybe even get 2 at that price, one for between the chairs, one between the sofa/chair.

The wall color appears more blue than gray on the little paint chip, it is Wedgewood gray, but that will be something I have to try out once we move in. Paint colors always vary so much based on lighting.

If the snow plows don't come through soon I'll have this room all done with just online finds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Table

o

I'm not seeing that between the chairs. A little too "organic"

See link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: side tables

o

Kellie, before you buy a table for the sofa I would try out the white marble top table slightly off center to the sofa first. It maybe wonderfully eclectic in a good way and also help with the chair blend by having a little something of the same style/era.

o

I have Sherwin Williams color "Compatible Cream" in my living room and it looks great with red tones... like Marita40's pic above.

o

A lot of nice ideas for sofa's but I hope you are not thinking of buying one onlune without trying it out.

o

We have a Home Decorators Collection nearby so I was able to go by and take a look at that sofa and chair I posted. Obviously this isn't furniture built to last for 30+ years. But I am not paying the money where I would expect it to be. If this was a room that was our primary hang out space I would be willing to invest (as we are planning on doing for the family room in looking at a Hancock and Moore leather sofa.....if I can afford it), but expect this furniture to be "lightly used". I think with the addition of a couple of pillows it will be reasonably comfortable for guests and conversation (obviously not to snuggle in for a movie). I actually like the printed fabric, it appeared more of a pale blue overall appearance than the gray that I had expected. Hopefully will look OK with the hide rug (which - if not, I have already decided would look nice in the master bedroom). But fingers crossed this will all come together. I think I will likely need a different color on the walls than the Wedgewood Gray, but that can be selected later.

OK - I have been looking forever for that red peacock type pillow and cant find it! I really do think that the accessories will hopefully be what ties this all together.

o

That sofa is pretty but what about the height/scale thing? I’m just asking because sometimes these forums are good to get the idea’s that are bouncing around into perspective (at lest for me:) How high are the red-ish chairs? How high is that fireplace and mantel? How low is that sofa and will there be something nearby to balance things out?

o

Good question. The queen ann chairs are actually petite, they are 42" tall at the very tallest. The sofa will be shorter at 33", but that is 2 inches taller than the chairs that are currently in the room, so do you think that will be OK? Not so sure about the fireplace and mantle.

Regarding the sofa, since the room is so skinny, one without an upholstered back seemed like the best choice to decrease the depth.

I also saw a couch today in that pretty peacock color similar to one posted earlier in the thread. I decided that since the chairs are already red and semi-bold in color, I would probably rather bring the color to the rest of the room in pillows since they can be easier changed out when the mood strikes.

o

This isn't the peacock feather pillow fabric above, but it's similar, and for $26 a yard, you could make 2 pillows from it. Or more, if you did a coordinating back on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peacock feather fabric Victorian red gold upholstery vintage look

o

Kellie, I am no expert so hopefully others will chime in. However, you have a long narrow room with a high fireplace/mantel and two 42" h chairs so I would not go below a sofa back of 37" or so. That's just me though! If the room were bigger and you had more options of balancing things out maybe I would not be as concerned. I hope some experts comment because maybe my worry is for nothing.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 10:06

o
Me again

My3dogs, I have that fabric on my settee. I think I have a yard or two left.

o

Ah yes, I can see what you are saying about scale. In my head I was thinking something a little shorter would make the room feel more open since the sofa will be floating in the middle of the room. I feel much better about being able to see it in the room without having to pay shipping now that the store is local.

The 42" for the chairs is at the tippy top of the wood, the height of those two wings on the sides are at about 37". Because they will likely be in a different part of the room (against a wall) do you think it is still a big consideration?

Thank you for the fabric link, I would like to get some to have pillows made. Next question, how do you think that fabric would look on a gray blue couch over a zebra hide rug? Now I am starting to have doubts, mostly due to the gold tones in it.

o

Here's a slightly pricier fabric - Iman Punjab Peacock in 'Noir'. Still striking, with just a hint of red and gold, and may go well with a gray sofa and the zebra rug.

photo ImanPunjabPeacockNoir_zpsd99dc499.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Iman Home Fabric Punjab Peacock Noir

o

Have you drawn out the floor plan to scale yet? You will need to know the fireplace location and size for your drawing and include so many inches for the walk isles plus the entry ways, window, doors ect.

o

No, I haven't had a chance to yet. Last time we were let in, unfortunately I was unable to join so asked my husband to get the floorplan and measurements. And.....lets just say that we know the room is "roughly" 21" x 11". Maybe we can get in during the appraisal, otherwise it will be a wait and see on move in day.

So, to answer my statement in the very first post, maybe I am being premature!

Thank you for the fabric link, my3dogs. I think that could look lovely and add a nice hint of drama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here