Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngdeb_gw

Dining room - the results

youngdeb
14 years ago

I almost titled this post "Is he going to hate it?" DH has been gone all week and while he was out I pulled the trigger on painting the DR. He's not into color and likes things "bright."

There's nothing bright about this room - it has no windows. So after consulting with you all, I went with a fairly dark green. It looks much darker in person than it does in the pictures.

So what do you think? Is he going to hate it?

Comments (31)

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

No idea if he'll like it but I love it! Compared to the before color, this green actually has life to it so in that way it IS bright - and fresh. I think that's a great choice for your room and style.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I do not know what DH will think but I love it. Much nicer in my opinion.

• teacats
    14 years ago

I think the whole room is very charming, warm and fresh! Very welcoming!

Try a white vase full of spring daffodils on the table or one the buffet .....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• hilltop_gw
    14 years ago

My first thought was "Wow that is so cool!" It gives the room character. What color did you use?

• jlj48
    14 years ago

Love it! It has come to life and is very bright and fresh.

• barb5
    14 years ago

I'm liking it too!!

When does your DH get to see it?

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

I like it a lot more than the original color. Looks richer too. Nice job!

• kjmama
    14 years ago

pretty!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

I like it much better too! Hope he does.

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

I think it's gorgeous! Great paint color choice. I think it looks brighter, now.

What do YOU think of it?

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Did you paint the trim too? It looks so crisp and fresh against the green.

Great choice!

• dee42
    14 years ago

That is DROP DEAD gorgeous -- what color is it and what paint company???????? Dee

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

That is a very nice green, your room looks very warm and fresh.

It also looks like the green is a close match to the drapes that are in the room that is blocked off by the gate, and the tile under the cabinet in the kitchen. Or maybe the tiles are grey? Either way, the harmony is there, and it pulls all the rooms together in a subtle way.

You didn't ask, but I would like to see the vase of red tulips On the table, and the case piece under the mirror to stand in for the piece under the painting. Then you could move around the table without squeezing. If I offend, please ignore me, I can't help it. I've been mentally editing rooms my whole life.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

It is so much nicer. Love the green.

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, guys, now I feel much better! Makes me happy that I busted my butt painting it!

It's BM Misted Fern. I really do like it, but I think I'm kind of a chicken about it, it's a strong color statement. You know how it is when you go a little out of your comfort zone...it can take a while to figure out if it's "you." It reads very dark...when the lights are off (most of the time) it reads 2 shades darker. But the next shade down on the color strip started getting pastel, which wasn't what I was going for at all. I think it looks kind of sophisticated (hilariously not me).

I didn't paint the door trim, although I did prime the mirror frame (and then couldn't decide what color to paint it, and so rehung it with white primer on it. It will likely hang thusly for eternity or we move.) I also primed and painted the crown, which I would love to take down, but am too lazy to.

Prairie, thanks for the suggestions, I love any and all comments. One good thing about this forum, people say what they really think, which your neighbors won't really do. There's plenty of room to move around on the mirror side (check out the second picture) and we've already had to cheat the table away from the front door entrance to make the walking easier by the painting. So I can't move the case. And I like the mirror there, reflecting a little light into the room. But I know that mirror and that case don't really play well together. I can't figure out what to do...I like them both, I'll have to figure something out eventually.

As for the tulips...this is the table we eat every meal at. We have two little rambunctious boys. The tulips, which give me joy in winter, have to remain safely above roll-throwing height!

Thanks again for the kind words!

Oh, and you can see my other project (unfinished) in the back of the first picture...painting the foyer walls white and the ceiling blue. Looks good I think, walls need a second coat, though.

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

I love the green. I think it looks much nicer than the original color. I cannot imagine DH not loving it, too!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I like it!!! Now tell me, HOW did you paint with your DH GONE and having 2 little boys running around???

What about painting the trim on the mirror a nice, dark brown?

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Wow this is really a wonderful change. I bet it really brings in the green of the window panels from the other room quite nicely.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

The green looks wonderful! What a lovely and fresh color! I can't imagine him not liking the room; please post his reaction...bet he will be surprised at how much he likes it.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Youngdeb

Wonderful transformation - as others have said, it does bring life into the room. I think anele took my thought, painting the mirror a dark brown color. As you have noted it doesn't quite work there, but I think a brown may be better suited - as close to the color of the buffet.
    Also, have you tried orienting the rug & table the other way? I cant tell what is on the other side - meaning where you shot the photos from

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

Love it! It really brings life to the rug. And I like the blue ceiling. I have a blue ceiling in two rooms and most people don't even notice it until I point it out.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

You did a great job-I really like the green.

How do you like your rug under the table? Is it holding up well, in a room with kids? I want a colorful rug under our dining room table, but am unsure of investing in one if it is too hard to clean up after the kids eat. Is yours a FLOR modular one?

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH gets home tonight, we'll see what he thinks! The more I see it, the more I like it. It's Aura, so I think it has some curing to do, it's mellowing out.

Jejvrt, below is a shot of where I'm standing. Shows how dark it gets in that room...that's full sun. And it's lighter in winter, when our trees fill in it gets SO DARK! Orienting the table the other way intruiges me, I may ask DH to try that out this weekend. We add leaves to that table, though. We'll try it and see.

Timber, those are FLOR tiles, we've had them for about 18 months. I ordered extra, assuming that I'd have to replace tiles often, which was a belt-suspenders approach in retrospect. I've had to replace one tile, and ironically it was a guest spilling red wine, not my kids making a mess.

They get grody, but I spot clean with a wet rag once a week or so, pull particularly bad ones for a dunk in the tub every 2 months or so, and pull them all up for a dunk in the tub every 4 months or so. Dunking them in the tub with a stiff brush (no detergent) makes them look brand-new. I use a wet vac to get the water out, or they take forever to dry...I think it's the rubber backing. Incredible, when you think about it. We make a mess...I chose a busy pattern for a reason. (All my rugs have busy patterns.)

• loribee
    14 years ago

Love it...very fresh and pretty!
    Let us know what he says....

• jockewing
    14 years ago

What did hubby think?!

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

Would you consider exchanging the painting and the mirror so that the smaller painting is on the smaller wall and the wide mirror is on the larger wall?

The color change is fabulous, BTW.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I am partial to green but I think it is great. I have a hunch this might change your husband's mind about color.

What works, IMO, is the balance it brings to the rug. (I have striped FLOR in a parquet layout in my DR, too!) I also think that because you don't have vast expanses of wall in that room, it is a great place to experiment with more saturated color.

Well done! Would love to see more of your home.

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

I think the green looks fabulous! Great choice!
    It really does work so well with the rug!

I'm sure your hubby will love it:)
    L.

• kimberlyrkb
    14 years ago

Love the new color! It really makes the room so much more lively and cozy.

I like andee's suggestion to swap the painting and the mirror.

Hope your DH loves it as much as we all do!

• youngdeb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, he got home last night, and I asked him this morning what he thought. Drum roll.....he likes it! But he thinks it looks weird to have the crown painted. I'm going to assume that's just because he's never seen it before, because I'm far too lazy to paint that sucker white again. Not to mention, it makes the ceilings look taller (this is a 50's ranch.)

So all's well that ends well.

Oh, and now of course I'm considering switching the painting and the mirror, if the painting fits over the buffet. I'll pull out my measuring tape at some point...

Deb

• susieq07
    14 years ago

I would lose the coat rack, put it out in that hallway..color is okay goes with the rug, but room needs something more???

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!