Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto4boys_gw

Side chair drama..help pls :)

momto4boys
14 years ago

I posted last wk about two pretty ugly chairs at a flea market I thought about getting, and re-covering. They didn't work.

We took out all the red we had in this room, threw in some other colors and as much as I loved it at first. It's about to put me to sleep. It needs some "pop" (ew, I said that word that drives me nuts)

So, I've been loving the zebra print right now. Why? Because I have no clue on how to decorate outside of seeing things in a magazine, or on line..and copying it. And I see zebra everywhere, and I'm totally drawn to it!

Anyways, my budget is small. Like $200? I just don't want to spend a ton on something that I'll tire of in a year. I'm sure next year if pink monkeys are in, I'll be all over that as well :)

So, the couch is dark green. Curtains are these white things now that are a temp job, until I find something I love. Rug can go. Coffee table is a flea market find that I love!

I went to a store today that deals with "oops" items. She said once in awhile, they'll get chairs. And she'd call. Well, they got a truck in right after and she emailed me this chair. I love it!

It's not black and white, but brown and white. But, my mother is saying I can't do brown upholestery because my kitchen cabinets are going to be black.(open to the living room) Huh??? I'm confused. I could do brown leather..but, not fabric?? Kitchen chairs are also black. All other side tables and stuff also going to be replaced. Dh is building built ins behind couch.

Sooo, what's the rule? And does this chair just suck all the way around, and I need to move on?

Thanks!

Comments (34)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh, I love that chair, and think it would definitely add the spark (try that instead of "pop") that your room lacks. I see no reason why you couldn't use a brown print like that even though you're open to the kitchen with it's black cabinets. Looks fine to me!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks nanny!!!!

The lady said it's a really dark brown. Didn't photograph that way, though. And looks like black legs?? I'm all giddy excited about it. But, I hear my mother chirping in my ear, lol. So, I need other opinions!!
    The chair is $399, but because it has a small, dark orange stain on the lower back corner..it's $199!

Dh is heading to look at it after work. It's down from his work, about an hour from here.

And it's for right in front of the window, if I hadn't mentioned that already :)

• User
    14 years ago

Love the chair, yes it will go well in your room. I would still do another color in the room as well, what other colors do you have in the house?

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

It's good you passed on those chairs- this chair is wonderful and I love it with the table, which I want btw. I hope your DH brings it home with him!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I was trying to work with the dark green, instead of against it (with all the red) And do other shades of green, whites, black, and I even threw a funky shade of blue in there with some throw pillows that I LOVED. Didn't think I could pull it off with the green couch, but it's kind of cool.
    But, yea..throwing that dark brown in there MAY kind of mess things up, lol. The kitchen has white subway tile, will have black cabs, and I want to pull greens in there.

• User
    14 years ago

Actually white and black are not considered colors, so you really only have the color green and now brown. Its nice to have 3 colors in varying degrees, plus white and black.

• judithn
    14 years ago

The chair is gorgeous. For $199 I would grab it. Where is this amazing store? I could use a few chairs myself. Are you going to switch out the little brown colonial-ish table to the right of the green sofa? I could see adding something metal with a silvered mirror-y top. The way to add more interest might be to add more textures and materials. I love the monochromatic palette you've got going on and that brown zebra-ish chair will look amazing.

• c8k6k
    14 years ago

Just want to add that I love the chair. Great find.

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. It really does help..a LOT!
    Judithn, the little table is out of here once I find something else. The idea of a little metal table sounds fun :)

The store let DH bring home the pillow. I think I'm going to like it. Yes, it's taking a different turn then I wanted. I was wanting something a bit flashier, maybe? I guess that's why I was going with black and white. But, I threw the black and white shower curtain from the kid's bathroom over an old chair in there and it was NOT good. This pillow sitting there, seems to work much better.
    My 11 yr old said "this room is warm, and cozy. So is that pillow. The black and white is too much BAM" Gotta love kids! :)

A friend of mine is coming to get me in the morning, and we're going to head out to the store and look at it in person. I'm so afraid of buying it, just to get the search over with. We'll see.
    I'll post pics if I get it!!

Thanks!!

• loribee
    14 years ago

I don't know about the chair, would have to see it in person....but I love the direction your room has taken!
    It looks fabulous~

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks loribee!

here's a pic of the pillow. shows the color better.

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

I love, love, love that chair and really think it would look tremendous in your room. Can't wait to see how you make out.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I think the chair is PERFECT! Your room needs "appeal". lol
    It needs to draw you in. :0) Your doing a great job!!!

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

You might try using some Folex on that stain, momto4. It's safe for upholstery and I've found it wonderful for removing stains! No rinsing required. It's my latest favorite product for stain removal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Folex

• jlj48
    14 years ago

Love the Chair!!!!

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Nanny, i've been using Folex for years and swear by that stuff! I've even got stains out from a strawberry marguerita and red candle wax stain. ;o)

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L chair. And what a steal on the price. Holy canoli. Honeslty, there's nothing that says you can't mix black and brown. I actually like the combination, especiall with the neutrals you have in that room. Maybe a few pillows with cream, black and brown would tie it all in (and make your mom happy LOL). BTW, did I hear you say the cabinets are going to be black? Yes!! Excellent choice ;o) I can't wait to see the results.

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! It's home, it's in place and I'm LOVING IT!!!!!!

But, what is it? lol. Not a zebra..is it? DH said some kind of cat? I don't care. It's animal print, and it's just what I was visualizing!!

I'm so glad I didn't go for something stark, like a black and white. It would have never worked in this space!

The rug will go as soon as I find something. And as I mentioned, the little side tables.
    But, for now..it's getting there!!!

showing light here. but, it's like a chocolate brown.

oh, and a quick pic of the room a few wks ago. BLECH!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Yay the pillow looks good! Cant wait to see photos. And Folex? am writing that down. never heard of it before. where has it been all of these years???

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And yes, thanks for the Folex recommendation! You can't see the spot where it sits now. But, I'd like to get rid of it if I could :)

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Very nice! I really like the chair you got & you can't beat the price! You done good! It gives your room pizazz!

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

LOVE that chair! (And I'm still drooling over your new coffee table!) Your room is turning out fantastic!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

The chair looks terrific! Glad you decided to go for it.

Off topic - where did you get your woven wood blinds?

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I posted while you were posting your chair at home pics! I looooovvve it! It is a great choice.

• User
    14 years ago

The new chair looks perfect. It was meant to be there. I love all the changes you've made to the room!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

The chair looks great in your room! I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, cuz I am so not an orange person - but I think a few orange touches in your room might give that added "sparkle".

And maybe over your sofa, a picture with a chunky brown frame. I also love your coffee table!

I used to use Folex when I had carpet. CREME colored carpet (yikes!). It is a great stain remover, but beware, it has a bleaching effect. Dilute it with water and try it on the underneath of your fabric somewhere first. It is a great stain remover!

tina

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I love the direction that you are taking the room! And the chair is the perfect addition, love it!!

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

I can't remember where I learned about Folex, ladies, but I'll bet it was someone here at GW that mentioned it and I found some at my local Food Lion. I've learned soooo much from this forum! Patty cakes, that's amazing about the red candle wax stain.....I had some red Christmas candles that dripped all over the bricks on my hearth, and I'm still trying to remove that mess from the bricks, yuck!

Momto4, I'm curious about your window blinds, too. Can you share where you got them? I'm looking for something to replace the sheers in my bedroom, to update the look, and think blinds might be the answer. And the chair, WOW, it really looks great in there with all the other neutrals and that print adds the spark the room needed. Great buy!!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    I went out shopping for some more accessories today. Big, green basket and four cute fleece blankets for my kiddos to curl up on the couch with :) We usually all fight over one, lol. I saw the basket, loved it..and thought that would be something neat to put in it. I promise, they'll be over the moon when they see it :)
    Got a cute, little pot and put a plant in it to set on the table by the window.
    Moved a basket full of magazines over by the chair. Couple more pillows :) I'm trying!

Tina, I'm not against orange. And I see where it could easily work in. But, having just ditched the red...I'm trying to hold off :) At first I just wanted creams, blacks, whites, different shades of greens. And just a few of that blue in the pillow you can see in the pic. It's a fun color, I'd never put with the green. But, I like it!
    And dh is going to build me a bookcase that will take up almost that whole back wall ! That little pic arrangement will go :) I can't wait to get that going. Hopefully in the next few wks.

The blinds we got a few yrs ago at Wal-mart, and I'm crushed to say I think they've discontinued them :( I love them! And I was looking for the exact same thing this last weekend for our master bath. I ended up with something from Lowes, that I'm considering taking back. The wal-mart ones were a great price, and love the look!
    Maybe check your local wal-marts. Someone may still carry them?

• User
    14 years ago

Your blinds look a lot like the ones Natal had and recommended to me for my patio doors. They're from Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: roman shade

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those look exactly like them!! Thanks! I bought a matchstick sort of kind last weekend. But, I don't like the way it installs (screw in little hooks, and hang)
    These mount, and just look so much better!
    Off to HD tomorrow!!

• mitri89
    14 years ago

Momto4boys - Can I ask what color paint your walls are? Your room is so pretty!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks mitri :)
    It's BM Lenox Tan.

• mitri89
    14 years ago

Thank you :-)