Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chalk Paint for this old hutch?

Posted by nanny2a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 17:51

I am wanting to update the look of this old hard rock maple buffet/hutch. It lives in my kitchen and is such a useful piece of furniture that I do not want to replace it. I was thinking chalk paint might do the trick, but am undecided what color might work well in this room. The kitchen cabinets are painted white, flooring is medium/dark hardwood, and walls still the same yellow shown in this photo. I do not want to have to repaint the walls. Any suggestions on a good color to use in the chalk paints?

photo IMG_1443.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chalk Paint for this old hutch?

Nanny, Were you thinking of doing any waxing, or just a straight chalk paint finish?

I remember when you painted the kitchen. Your colors are very clean and don't have any aging or muddy effect to them. Is that something you would want to introduce through a wax? I always wax pieces that I do in chalk paint.

I'd be tempted to use two colors on your hutch. A lighter one for the inside behind the glass doors, and use that same color in the back of the open area where you have the three plates lined up.

Not that you are limited to Annie Sloan chalk paints, but I have linked their color chart below.

Here is a link to some furniture painted in her chalk paint, which may give you ideas. In the 5th row down, the center bombe' chest which retains its stained top might be a nice color for you, with a creamy white inside. She used Louis Blue, and just clear Minwax brand wax over it, after sanding some areas lightly to distress them.

http://images.google.com/search?q=annie+sloan+chalk+painted+furniture&biw=1680&bih=874&sei=bm0dUdqYD9Co0AGh3oCQCw&tbm=isch

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Colors

o

My3dogs, thank you so much for your advice! I have always thought you had such excellent taste! Actually, the yellow of my walls is pretty "muddy", not as clean as they appear in this photo. What I had been leaning toward was a grayish color, similar to the photo. I was just wondering if it would work. I do like your advice about doing the insides and the backing in a lighter color, to help highlight my flow blue pottery more. Do you think that creamy white would work with the gray?

o
Forgot the photo

Here�s the gray I liked.

o

Yes, I do think they'd work very well together, especially if you distress both areas a bit and wax them, as appears to have been done in your inspiration pic. It will allow them to blend together beautifully! You might even want to blend a small amount of the gray with the white if the colors look too far apart for your taste.

This is a project that I'd look forward to, and I love your inspiration shot!

o

How about a light greyish blue? Maybe Paris Grey with Old White?
And please post when you're done.

o

I was going to suggest a very pale greyish or greenish blue. I think that would play very nice with the yellow, white and dark blue in the plates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here