Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rednellie

What Color Did You Paint Your Entry?

redbazel
15 years ago

I'm still struggling and have 5 test quarts already. So, I'm turning to the Mob....

If you have an actual entry that's not part of the LR or family room, did you go soft and light? Deep and dramatic? What color worked?

I have one big dark wood buffet to go in there and the LR is Baby Turtle, which you can see from the entry. So, I don't want to go green, and I am over-painting red.

Red

Comments (36)

• sue36
    15 years ago

Mine is RH Creamware (actually reproduced by SW). It's a pale gold. I consider it a warm neutral. My upstairs hallways are the same color. I believe the BM color name was Chardonnay.

• jenos
    15 years ago

Mine is EK Khaki. Very neutral--to the right the room is chocolate brown and to the left is terra cotta and gold large damask wallpaper, so I wanted something without drama in between.

• lorriekay
    15 years ago

Bangkok Rust (I was turned onto this color from this forum)
    thanks guys...
    I love it.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I have a neutral -- BM Stone House. On one side is a gold, on another side is a terracotta color, and at the end of the hall is a green, so I felt like I had to go neutral.

• homersmom
    15 years ago

Sorry I can't help, Red. We have Baby Turtle in our foyer and love it!

C.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

My entry and two adjoining hallways is BM Bennington Gray. It's a wonderful neutral that plays well against a variety of wood tones. It's not gray. It's a taupe during the day and at night its a taupe with a slight green undertone. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. I don't have a Baby Turtle paint strip to see the contrast. It may be close to what you have in your LR. It's worth a try to check out the strips next to one another.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

BM's Grecian Green on ceiling and BM Tree Moss on walls. Colors are next to each other on sample strip.

{{gwi:1438904}}

Grecian Green on walls in kitchen

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pretty photo!
    I've had the turtle in the entry before. I painted the whole main area of the house with it and have just slightly adjusted recently. But I just want something a little different. I was at Ben Moore yesterday but didn't check out the Bennington Gray.

Red

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

How about taupe~it goes well with so many colors, and if you have white trim, it looks gorgeous. Sorry, but I can't recommend a color, but stay away from taupes that have a pink/purple cast. ;o)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

If you like painting and your entry is one story, then paint it whatever color tickles your fancy du jour. You can always change your mind and the color later.

My entry is a BEAR to paint with two stories up and stairs everwhere. Hardly any place to put a ladder, and places I just can't reach. After two false starts, I mixed my own color. So maybe I should call it "Resale Beige" or "I Never Want To Paint This Entry Again Beige." Because that's deffinitely what I had in mind.

Brutuses, I love that color. Everything you show us of your new house looks so elegant. You're doing a wonderful job. When are you moving in?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Mines pretty dramatic..

I pulled the gold out of the travertine and then had it done to simulate that color and the variation you see in travertine. I like the richness as you enter :) In my victorian I'll probably do a nice rich gold (just one color paint verses at treatment to keep it appropriate to the house). I don't think you can ever go wrong with a gold tone...but that might just be me :oP

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

I went soft and light - I was at first thinking very dramatic and I do love that look but for my entry/foyer the walls travel up the stairs and it is such a BIG paint job I thought I should play it safe.

I used BM Dijon - it is a really nice color but I may have gone 1 tone darker if I were to do it again.

Here are pictures.

Good luck - I know it is a tough choice.

Haley

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Well, mine is BM Wilmington Tan as most of my house is - 2 story with kinda open floor plan. But, in my old neighborhood there was a house with a deep gorgeous red color - she put in a glass pane door & always had on a light in the entry - wood stairs with white trim & gawd, it was so pretty to peek in at night!! (I love it when people leave their lights & blinds open at night!!)

With yours having separation, you could go either way......bold & dramatic or neutral & play it up with a fantastic lamp on the buffet with some great artwork or mirror. What about the cognac color from your leather chair & in your rug from your living room or playing off the color of your new yummy velvet chair?

Smiles:)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I struggled with this in the last house and finally surrendered to the strong colors on either side and used Classic Cream (EK). I really did not want the small foyer to draw attention and had a tough time working with the Buff (F&B) on one side and Ashen Green (EK) on the other. Sometimes "no color" is the best color.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I think scooby is on to something with the cognac or at least something as deep and rich.

I originally thought about something like SW Chamois but when I looked closer, it didn't seem to play well with the Baby Turtle. A very deep gold that would work with the BT is a possibility and wouldn't wimp out against your beautiful new buffet.

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

I used paints that gave the dramatic effect. I have done the entry in lighter colours and I much prefer the darker version. Although the one at that is done in the eggplant is much too dark even for me.
    {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All these photos are great! That's what I needed. Something to get me thinking and narrow down my options. Because there are always options. Unfortunately, there can only be one choice.

Red

• megradek
    15 years ago

I went for more neutral and carried it down the hallway and stairs: BM revere pewter

• redbazel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I keep reading about Revere Pewter, but I bought a sample and splotched. It looks almost white, with a tinge of grey to me.

Red

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Mine is Ivorie. It is on the Blonde , Restrained gold , paint strip. Mine is softer. The DR is Restrained gold. Good luck with your painting, Red!
    Bonnie

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Red, we went SW Restrained Gold in the entry way, foyer, stairwell and upstairs hallway.

• rosie
    15 years ago

The notion in my entry was to use a mediun warm grayish blue to evoke the sky visible through a foyer window, still be relatively warm and cozy to come into but cool in our torrid summers, and make a nice background for a landscape painting in Impressionist colors. Also, because I read somewhere that people are drawn into lighter spaces, the idea of going somewhat darker was to enhance the glimpse of our creamy white-walled living room. (I said "my notion was" because I either blew the color choice or my painter took the wrong sample, and it's more of a baby blue. Not quite the same, but I'll eventually fix it with a glaze or something.)

• budge1
    15 years ago

Right now ours is plain old ivory white, but I've been inspired by a decor mag I got last month that had stripes in the foyer and hall and have picked farrow and ball's Dauphin to do stripes in. Maybe you could leave what you have now and just do stripes over top to change the look?

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I did Plantation Beige. I have enough going on in there with all the furniture, tile, rug, etc. I also like an entry to be fairly neutral and warm, nothing too dramatic. It all depends on the style, house, etc, but generally I like to see the drama saved for other rooms as you leave the foyer. Not too much bang as soon as you step in if that makes sense. Of course I'm not real brave with color anywhere.

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I went light and bright in the foyer and used SW Believable Buff. The first color I tried was BM Wilmington Tan and it seemed to make the room too dark. Since I wanted my walnut-stained doors to really stand out, the lighter color is much better.

The laundry room and powder room that are just off the foyer are in BM Baby Turtle and the colors complement each other well, IMO.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

mine is part of my living room in Ralph Lauren suede the color of baking cocoa

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mimi, I was looking for that photo of Plantation Beige last week and just accidentally found it in this thread. Love that look and what a wonderful color. And Juddgirl, I will pull my chip of Believable Buff and see how it looks with my Baby Turtle. I need a neutral soon in our study.

Red

• cattknap
    14 years ago

BM Shaker Beige - one of my favorite neutral colors.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Reddddddddddddd....I thought your foyer was all settled???
    No???
    What about one up or one down from BT?
    Flowering herbs I think is the lighter color and I don't know what the darker is-

My whole house is standish white...

Don't suppose you want a light neutral?
    Good luck!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lori, it IS all settled. I finally painted Ben Moore's Dry Sage, and a lovely color it is, too. Flows off my Northampton Putty Dining Room and my Baby Turtle living room very well.

I guess I never closed out this one with a photo.......thought I did. But it's so cool to have more entry shots anyway.

Red

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Red, honey, sweetie...What's going on? Talk to me.

After 9yrs my foyer still has 1/2 removed anaglypta (?) wall paper that is painted pale grey/blue. It's such a PIA to remove that I quit. And that's where it's been for 5yrs or so.

Loribee - that Standish White is lovely! Great photo - way to sell a color!

• redbazel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No painting, ok? I've put down my brush and stopped. Entry is painted. LR stays Turtle. DR is still N. Putty. MBR is LAGold #3. I maaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyrepaint my laundry room eventually, since I am not in love With Olive Branch in there. And I HOPE to paint DD's bedroom when she goes to Lexington/Georgetown Ky at end of month. But I am good. I just can't stop thinking about paint, looking at paint and waiting for Ttodd to paint........

Red

• pam-md
    14 years ago

Geez Red, you sound like me. After 8 quarts of paint, I think I have finally settled on BM Shelbourne Buff. Now I can call the painters! You just cannot tell with a swatch or even a 2 foot square (at least I can't.) Sooooo, I painted the same wall 8 times and I would live with each color for a couple days and finally I think I've got it! It's gold enough to go with my BM pirate's chest but not overly gold. Besides, I saw it in the local decorator's showhouse and loved it. That always helps - when some real professional somewhere picked that exact same color!

• loribee
    14 years ago

LOL...I never noticed the Feb. dates!
    Glad you are happy Red, the new color looks grand!

And...thanks Ttodd. :)

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Well, you know mine...

Let's see yours, Red?

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Sorry, I do see yours now, Red, duh me. Looks great with your rug and flooring. Sorry I didn't read everything before posting. That antique piece is gorgeous.

Loribee, your entire entry seems bathed in cheery sunlight!

Bru, your entry looks gorgeous, but then, every picture you post of your new place does.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz